Nike

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Quann
Hall of Fame

Re: Nike

Post by Quann » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:07 am

My problem with him is not his kneeling, it’s the fact that he never clearly articulated why he was doing the protest. Do you want to know why? He’s not very smart! He’s been a puppet of his lefty girlfriend. He’s all sizzle and no steak. He is the poster child of the current victim hood movement here in the us and Nike rewards him for that? I think it’s a bunch of bullshit. He’s a fraud.

CarriageEstates22
Sophomore

Post by CarriageEstates22 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:15 am

The person you said was "all sizzle and no steak" donated $1 million to charity in the past year:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/1/31/ ... on-dollars

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:56 am

CarriageEstates22 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:15 am The person you said was "all sizzle and no steak" donated $1 million to charity in the past year:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/1/31/ ... on-dollars
Big shit considering the $100 million deal he signed with San Francisco a few years back......I agree, Kaepernick is a fraud!

http://www.tmz.com/2018/09/05/tim-kenne ... e-boycott/

best quote...

Tim says every member in this special forces team room has lost at least 10 friends who died while serving their country ... and he finds it offensive that Colin would describe what he's been through as "sacrificing everything."

"I'm talking about REAL heroes and I'm surrounded by a bunch of them right now."
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:34 am

Cahoonaville wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:50 am So Kaepernick wearing socks depicting cops as pigs last year is his constitutional right also? Every military person I know despises that son of a bitch-and I come from a military family....
Yup sure is. He can say whatever he wants as long as it doesn't directly incite violence or panic.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:14 am

I really don't understand why so many fellow citizens have zero understanding of their own Constitution. It's pathetic.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:15 am

Cahoonaville wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:50 am So Kaepernick wearing socks depicting cops as pigs last year is his constitutional right also? Every military person I know despises that son of a bitch-and I come from a military family....
Did you ever take the military oath? You clearly don't understand it. It's fine to not agree with Kapepernick and it's fine to be angry with Nike for using him as a spokesperson. It's stupid to say kneeling during the National Anthem disrespects soldiers.
Last edited by UMass87 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:16 am

I really thought Cahoonaville was just trolling people since that's really all he has done for awhile now... but now he's providing links... so maybe he really did burn his daughter's Nike shoes in the bedroom....
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:25 am

Nobody should be burning their Nike's inside their house unless it's in a fireplace. Just sayin.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:34 am

Can't imagine the cheap rubber they use for their shoes is healthy to inhale :D

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:39 am

"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:43 am

There are plenty of vehicles for Kaepernick to accomplish what he thinks he was accomplishing by kneeling for the Anthem. Several key players and coaches in the NBA are VERY vocal about police brutality whenever there is an incident, yet they all stand during the Anthem. He is on the clock for his company. If I tried to make a political statement during my company's town hall meetings, for example, I would be walked out of the building.

He also received at least one contract offer (Denver) but did not want to come off the bench - or perhaps his real reason was that Nike has been paying him this whole time and it's pretty hard to say you sacrificed everything when you're back in the league.

I don't really care if he kneels during the Anthem. It is more respectful than sitting or standing and turning your back, IMO. I understand if Vets are pissed off by it, but it seems to be split among them. One vet does not speak for all of the military, for either side of the argument.

The freedom of speech stuff cracks me up. Again, you realize he is under a contract. There are codes of conduct in every work place and while the NFL's code of conduct is certainly fucked up beyond belief (Ray Rice, Greg Hardy, Josh Brown all receive less punishment than Brady being the perfect example), it is up to teams owners to decide whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze with this guy. At the end of the day, he is not in the league because he is just not good enough to deal with the PR disaster that comes with him.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:43 am

Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

JD14
Freshman

Post by JD14 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:56 am

MJatUM wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:43 am There are plenty of vehicles for Kaepernick to accomplish what he thinks he was accomplishing by kneeling for the Anthem. Several key players and coaches in the NBA are VERY vocal about police brutality whenever there is an incident, yet they all stand during the Anthem. He is on the clock for his company. If I tried to make a political statement during my company's town hall meetings, for example, I would be walked out of the building.
Uhhhhh the NBA requires, by league rule, that players must stand. Players have not been penalized for kneeling: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2084 ... ts-leagues

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:12 am

JD14 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:56 am
MJatUM wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:43 am There are plenty of vehicles for Kaepernick to accomplish what he thinks he was accomplishing by kneeling for the Anthem. Several key players and coaches in the NBA are VERY vocal about police brutality whenever there is an incident, yet they all stand during the Anthem. He is on the clock for his company. If I tried to make a political statement during my company's town hall meetings, for example, I would be walked out of the building.
Uhhhhh the NBA requires, by league rule, that players must stand. Players have not been penalized for kneeling: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2084 ... ts-leagues
Fair warning I don't particularly know what I'm talking about, but this is based on my limited understanding of labor law and relations.

My guess is that (like most Americans) MJ is an at-will employee. With few exceptions his company could legally walk him out of the building at any time for no particular reason at all. Just as MJ could leave on his own accord at any time for no particular reason at all.

I'm sure that the NFL contracts are written with relatively easy exits for the team, but even still I doubt what Kaepernick did is a breach of contract unless the NFL had that rule you're referring to in the NBA. If he didn't release himself the 49ers probably could have found a way of releasing him, but they'd be pretty foolish to pick the kneeling as the reason. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

eXelwood
Sophomore

Post by eXelwood » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:42 am

IMHO there is a big difference between supporting the warriors versus supporting war. We may not agree with the political decisions that put soldiers in conflict in the air on the land or sea. We need to respect the decision that many have made to serve in our military and defend the freedoms and constitutional principles of the USA. We support our troops by ensuring they have the best equipment , best medical care both while in service and after. We provide educational and training benefits for veterans as well as a VA that addresses issue like PTSD and the effects of toxins as well as protections from predatory lenders.