McGuirk Upgrade

Get ready for some MACtion
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by Old Cage » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:08 pm

^ Ah...1897. That was a very interesting year. We beat UConn 36-0 in our first ever meeting. Swampy and I had very good seats.

On the flip side, we lost 4-nil at Holy Cross. :)
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:42 pm

^4-nil... a real barn-burner. You must have been on the edge of your running board. :D

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:53 pm

^^ How far away did you have to hitch your horse and buggy? Was it anywhere close to the tailgating?

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:57 am

^^^ One thing I remember about that game is that it was impossible to keep the beer cold for the tailgate. The ice had all melted in the 3 hours it took to get there from Springfield. :)

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:24 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:03 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:42 pm ^

The overall cost has almost tripled since my first year in 2000. The bill for my freshman year, in-state, was just under 10k for tuition, fees, room and board. Amazing.
^when I graduated in 1995 tuition fees room and board were about 12.5k for in state. I paid it myself, so I remember it. It's about 29k now. I left food off, so the percent increase I put was wrong it's gone up about 150%.

In 1995, it cost $16,048 for out of state and $9,702 for in-state.

https://www.umass.edu/oir/sites/default ... chg_01.pdf

I was off about my freshman year by a few hundred.

The link here also shows the difference between tuition and fees, and exactly when that flips (2015-16).
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Swampy wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:28 am You might be but the rest of us know how the system works. Last I looked the University of Massachusetts was located in the state of Massachusetts. Further, it is located in western Massachusetts which might just as well be in upstate NY for our elected pols. The legislature is now and always has been a penny pinching bunch of non UMass grads who piss away money elsewhere but don't give two shits about what happens at Our State U.

Take the gift, be happy, and stop acting like you don't know about any of the above.
Thank you Swamps, It always refreshing to hear your perspective. A few corrections: The University of Massachusetts is located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts...not the state of Massachusetts. Secondly where did you see me say anything at all about seeking an allocation from Beacon Hill?? I'll help you out... Nowhere. The discussion was about whether a bubble was the best investment / use of the funds. Lastly Nobody is discussing not accepting a donation. Otherwise... spot on as usual old boy !! :D

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:42 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:24 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:03 am
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:42 pm ^

The overall cost has almost tripled since my first year in 2000. The bill for my freshman year, in-state, was just under 10k for tuition, fees, room and board. Amazing.
^when I graduated in 1995 tuition fees room and board were about 12.5k for in state. I paid it myself, so I remember it. It's about 29k now. I left food off, so the percent increase I put was wrong it's gone up about 150%.

In 1995, it cost $16,048 for out of state and $9,702 for in-state.

https://www.umass.edu/oir/sites/default ... chg_01.pdf

I was off about my freshman year by a few hundred.

The link here also shows the difference between tuition and fees, and exactly when that flips (2015-16).
Good chart. I must've had some different (no required for others) fees and possibly different meal plan (not the value plan). It was a graduation year, so there were probably some other fees. I may have also included books or other costs that were unique to my experience. I just know what I spent senior year.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:40 am

I understand. Just wanted to point it out. I just knew that it didn't cost more in 95 than it did in 2000 since I had two cousins there around that time.

I think my cost freshman year was still just under 10k since the medical insurance wouldn't have been part of it being covered through my parents.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Greetings from waaay up there. Two items to report:

1. Maine has a new practice bubble. It is sandwiched in between the Alfond Football Stadium and the New Balance Arena.

https://goblackbears.com/sports/2016/5/ ... -dome.aspx(

(Aside - Why can't we get quality naming rights - such as New Balance - on our two major facilities?)

2. Orono remains a pit.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Old Cage wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:11 pm Greetings from waaay up there. Two items to report:

1. Maine has a new practice bubble. It is sandwiched in between the Alfond Football Stadium and the New Balance Arena.

https://goblackbears.com/sports/2016/5/ ... -dome.aspx(

(Aside - Why can't we get quality naming rights - such as New Balance - on our two major facilities?)
What is more quality than alums taking their hard earned money and give it back t UMass Athletics, like the FB Press Box, Basketball Practice Facility and the Football Locker room and Meeting Building?

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:59 pm

^ I guess that I did not state my question well. Those contributions are excellent.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:10 pm

Old Cage wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:11 pm (Aside - Why can't we get quality naming rights - such as New Balance - on our two major facilities?)
Why does UMass Dining account for 3/4 of the ad space in Mullins and McGuirk? :wink:
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:15 am

The New Balance CEO has some sort of connection to UMaine. He's donated quite a bit of money to the school. No surprise New Balance is on something there.

Still waiting for T-Mobile to jump in here at UMass....

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:07 am

I have no problem with raising money through naming rights, but I will fight any attempt to remove the name Mullins from our arena. He has been gone for over 30 years but the late Bill Mullins will always be one of our strongest non-alumnus supporters. As an influential state rep, he helped save our athletic program when it was on the verge of sliding into obscurity in the 80's.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:16 pm

DrG wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:07 am I have no problem with raising money through naming rights, but I will fight any attempt to remove the name Mullins from our arena. He has been gone for over 30 years but the late Bill Mullins will always be one of our strongest non-alumnus supporters. As an influential state rep, he helped save our athletic program when it was on the verge of sliding into obscurity in the 80's.
Completely agree. His name also adorns the Gymnasium at Ludlow HS where he was a resident.