Future of UMass System

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
McKinney
Senior

Re: Future of UMass System

Post by McKinney » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:23 pm

https://pioneerinstitute.org/press_rele ... da-campus/

If the Pioneer Institute is against something it has to be good for UMass. I kid, but seriously I don't think I've ever seen public education portrayed as a good thing in any way by this "institution". Shocker that the Executive Director is an alumni of BU. :roll:
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:55 pm

Pioneer Institute is a mouth piece for the private colleges and universities in Massachusetts. No surprise here. Interesting they use UMASS debt and not UMASS-Amherst debt. Sowing the seeds of confusion by obfuscation. I'm sure no one pays attention to them anyways.

Here is the real question they will not answer. If Massachusetts is going to stay ahead of the rest of the country in building a supportable, long term economically sound economy who will be education most of the workforce here? UMASS!!!

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Senate President Harriette Chandler wrote:[UMass] has a campus in Boston that needs help, needs a lot of help. When you’ve got a financially troubled campus, is it appropriate to buy another one? Does that make any sense? I can’t answer that,
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/ ... story.html

UMass Amherst is buying Mount Ida, in no way does that impact UMass Boston. I find it deeply concerning that the State Senate President clearly does not understand how the system operates.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:31 pm

Maybe she received a call from her alma matar(s).

The hypocrisy is amazing. People like this only pretend to care about a lack of funding when it serves their elitist interests (in this case, the private schools that are threatened by a rising public institution), even if they have to confuse and distort the facts. The only time these folks, like those at the globe and this state senator, get outraged about these issues is when they can spin it to weaken the system. It's obvious what they are doing and it's digusting.
Last edited by DEM on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:39 pm

Politicians seem to dangerously walk a fine line of ignorance and ego driven malice. :shock: :|

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed May 09, 2018 10:36 am

Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed May 09, 2018 2:35 pm

"Simon said he’s seen a number of cuts to classes and staff – and at times, entire programs. He’s often worried the Africana studies degree he’s spent the last four years working on is in jeopardy."

Oh no!!! Not the Africana Studies department!!!! What's next? The 17th century french poetry department???? WHEN WILL IT END!!!

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Tue May 15, 2018 1:30 pm

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/0 ... story.html

The whining from UMass Boston about something that doesn't impact them is really getting tired.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue May 15, 2018 1:44 pm

The AG is opening an investigation into Mt. Ida as well, though that doesn't seem to have anything to do with us.

The UMass Boston campus needs to really quiet down here. But in reality, the UMass System has only itself to blame. They did everything in their power to prop up the other campuses to make them think they were like the flagship, including the naming BS.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue May 15, 2018 3:05 pm

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu May 17, 2018 8:18 am

Let's set them adrift: https://www.dotnews.com/2018/maybe-umas ... lynch-says

Interesting.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 am

Ha, that would go over well for them.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu May 17, 2018 8:57 am

Rep. Lynch echoed those concerns and Walsh’s remarks after the campus tour, telling reporters: “It doesn't seem that they're invested at all here in this university. And I think Mayor Walsh brought a great point up the other day when he said, I think that if the system is not going to treat this campus right, maybe we should become an independent college, an independent university so that we have the right of self-determination here on this campus.”
Good luck to Boston for figuring out how to finance a struggling university of their size.

I don't understand the "no investment" thing. UMass Boston has seen the most investment in its entire history in the past decade or so. The construction of a new Campus Center, Integrated Sciences Complex, and University Hall. UMB's first ever dorms are under construction. They've also had upgraded utility infrastructure and the construction of a parking garage. Their enrollment has grown like 20% in the past 10 years. There's been academic investment as well. I believe it was last year that UMB was ranked nationally for the first time by US New & World Report.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:36 am

UMB has just brought in another temporary chancellor. Dr. Newman Was provost at UMASS prior, and apparently rubbed many of our faculty the wrong way. Then off to the President's office.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/0 ... l#comments

The good news for our campus is she's not going to whine about the whole Mt. Ida situation.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Marty Meehan's interview on WBUR today is worth your 21 minutes: http://www.wbur.org/radioboston/2018/06 ... ehan-umass
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."