Future of UMass System

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
eXelwood
Sophomore

Re: Future of UMass System

Post by eXelwood » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:28 pm

I just checked out the MT IDA web site. https://www.mountida.edu/updates/

They appear to actively working on more than , you can go to UMass Dartmouth.
The are are also working on having some of there programs "adopted" or "assimilated" in to some nearby private schools.

I think this acquisition is a good move and enhancement to The University of Massachusetts .

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:34 pm

Just tagging on to the small private college/university struggle... I never understood the appeal of going to one of these schools - unless you were going for a major they "specialize" in. I get the whole different strokes thing... but my god. I laugh (to myself) at my friends who chose private or out of state public schools while I was able to pay off my loans within a couple years after graduating.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:56 pm

MJatUM wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:34 pm Just tagging on to the small private college/university struggle... I never understood the appeal of going to one of these schools - unless you were going for a major they "specialize" in. I get the whole different strokes thing... but my god. I laugh (to myself) at my friends who chose private or out of state public schools while I was able to pay off my loans within a couple years after graduating.
Specialize, you mean like how you can spend $200k on a 4 year degree in dental hygiene from Mt. Ida? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a feeling there are thousands of people at these little private schools all across the country that would just be better off getting an associates degree from a community college. Like you said... different strokes.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:02 pm

There is an interesting letter in today's Globe from a Mt. Ida faculty member. He says that they were recently told that the endowment has grown from $12M to $30M, that the incoming class is the largest ever, and that "nothing would change in the 2018-19 academic year."

It seems that there is a still to come "rest of the story" that we will learn about.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Wahoo! Our Endowment will be 30M larger!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:37 pm

McKinney wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:56 pm
MJatUM wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:34 pm Just tagging on to the small private college/university struggle... I never understood the appeal of going to one of these schools - unless you were going for a major they "specialize" in. I get the whole different strokes thing... but my god. I laugh (to myself) at my friends who chose private or out of state public schools while I was able to pay off my loans within a couple years after graduating.
Specialize, you mean like how you can spend $200k on a 4 year degree in dental hygiene from Mt. Ida? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a feeling there are thousands of people at these little private schools all across the country that would just be better off getting an associates degree from a community college. Like you said... different strokes.
I'm sure there are many small colleges where a degree in certain fields carries some cache with it. I don't know them off hand because I was never interested in that. I'm talking serious majors too... A major in 18th century poetry is useless even if you undergrad at Harvard and MBA at Cornell (ever heard of it) then MD at Princeton just for shits.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:54 pm

MJatUM wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:37 pm I'm sure there are many small colleges where a degree in certain fields carries some cache with it. I don't know them off hand because I was never interested in that. I'm talking serious majors too... A major in 18th century poetry is useless even if you undergrad at Harvard and MBA at Cornell (ever heard of it) then MD at Princeton just for shits.
I have a Graduate TA this semester for a GenEd who made that Andy Bernard joke in our discussion. But I'm not sure he was actually joking given how much he brings up his time as an undergrad. :lol: :lol: :lol:

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:14 pm

FWIW, the dental hygeine, funeral services, etc. that are mentioned in many of the articles are associates degrees. They're only 2-3 year programs.

It's a good move for the school if they are truly planning what they say in terms of career preparation programs. I've worked in the biotech field since I graduated in 2004 and I'd say the majority of kids we hire have some sort of industry co-op before they graduate. So much so that I personally wouldn't recommend Umass-amherst if want to go into biotech. I found many of the science programs don't compare in preparing kids for industry like some of the other schools. This would be a huge move in that direction though.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:56 pm

^ Thanks for the insight.

As I posted on Frank's football blog: I really hope we come out on top when this is over. Mount Ida - while seemingly a spontaneous acquisition - is a crucial step in UMass' goal to become an AAU-type institution.

If it's used for continuing education programs, housing for internship opportunities in Boston, and a career center for alumni and soon-to-be grads for networking, counseling, etc. it could be very successful in developing a larger talent-pipeline for Boston's growing STEM and financial fields.

This would be huge for the university's STEM and business programs, not only in prestige and job opportunities (re: rankings) but also in terms of research opportunities. It'd be beneficial as a home-away-from-home to a large portion of STEM researchers at the university who work on projects with companies in the Boston area (particularly in the biotech and defense industries), but perform most of their research in Amherst and obviously lecture in Amherst. The more collaboration the better.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Is this a big deal, or just a routine procedure in cases like this? In the press release, the chancellor wrote that he expects this campus to be up and running this year, so I'm guessing whatever this is will ideally go through in short order.

McKinney wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:56 pm Image

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:21 pm

DEM wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:02 pm Is this a big deal, or just a routine procedure in cases like this? In the press release, the chancellor wrote that he expects this campus to be up and running this year, so I'm guessing whatever this is will ideally go through in short order.
It's routine. The Mass Board of Higher Ed is in charge of oversight of all mergers and closures. UMass has a good reputation with them, most recently with the acquisition of the law school at UMass Dartmouth. The one blemish is something about how Mt. Ida failed to cooperate with MBHE when they had worked out a deal with Lasell College. Even now they haven't provided information to MBHE in a timely manner (before the deal was announced by both universities). I'm not too worried about it, but it's just more red tape.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Good to know. Thanks!

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Everyone seems to be running to support UMASS-Boston over this Mt. Ida affair. Where we they before now? They were criticizing UMB for financial mismanagement. They were not complaining to the Governor and legislature about how UMB should get better funding. Our great governor and AG and are now going to "investigate" what happened. Investigate why everyone in the state police makes $200K- maybe some of that money would be better spent for professors for UMB and some financial aid over there. Baker and Healy like most politicians are just opportunist and do not really care about the people.

Much like what goes on in Washington- keep the people focused on the sparkly object so they can't focus on the real issues.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:51 pm

"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:16 pm

Nicely stated by MM... concise and to the point.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades