Future of UMass System

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
McKinney
Senior

Future of UMass System

Post by McKinney » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:25 pm

What in the world could this be used for? Anyone care to speculate?
http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... ire_m.html
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: Future of UMass System

Post by Old Cage » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:43 pm

A Metrowest Community College? The word "safe" in the description might be paramount. The Mass Bay Community College is now in multiple spread out locations, I believe. Just a guess.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:12 pm

^ That wouldn't be operated by the UMass system. Community Colleges are operated by the Massachusetts Community College system.

"Chilly Willy" on Twitter guessed "UMass Newton?". I thought that it'd be too small to be another campus in itself, but maybe it'd be a branch campus of UMass Boston? Or maybe a joint research park?

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Well here's the answer. VERY GOOD NEWS! Image

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:54 pm

First, It is too bad that Mt. Ida goes away, but many small colleges are disappearing, and more will quickly do so in next 3 years. Too few students, for too many colleges.

But, in my view, this is a great thing for UMASS. Regarding Athletics, this board has been highly critical of previous 'non-moves' into better conferences. UMASS in this academic case, is being proactive in entering the 'Boston market'.

This move is strategic for UMASS, now re-situated within the middle of the Massachusetts economy, which is Boston, west to 495. UMass needed to provide more internships, and subsidized housing, for students. Now solved.

And it also opens up UMASS to have a true competitive coop program to Northeastern, at a much lower price point, details to be determined.

We are in an era where the weak will fail, and the large and strong will prevail. UMASS is winning. To be celebrated.

In addition, the UMASS system is basically admitting that the Dartmouth campus is the weakest link. So while all Mt.Ida students are guaranteed admission there, relatively few will be admitted to UMASS Amherst. Again, how many students at Mt.Ida would have been accepted at UMASS Amherst? 5%, perhaps 10%. At least UMASS will adopt the most serious, academically proven, students.

In my mind, this all reinforces that the Amherst campus is the true flagship campus.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:12 pm

This sounds like an excellent and forward thinking move. I'll be interested in seeing how this evolves.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:56 pm

Ruh roh raggy.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/201 ... story.html
And something even worse is happening at UMass Boston. Its students — who make up the most diverse campus in New England — are getting another painful lesson about where they stand in the university pecking order. As low as it goes. It’s an education, all right — an education in the institutional bias that tilts toward the elite flagship Amherst campus, which, let’s face it, is also whiter. Some might also call that an education in institutional racism.
Some comments in opposition to Mt. Ida:

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:50 am

Part of me is enjoying every last second of this. Part of me wants to flip out on everyone.

People will:

A) do anything in their power to bash public higher education in this state
B) have no clue how a campus system works and what a Flagship means

The stupidity is both hilarious and infuriating.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Sheck
Hall of Fame

Post by Sheck » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:56 am

I understand their frustration but a campus that is primarily a commuter school and is Division 3 isn't going to be the "crown jewel" of the system. They should be ahead of Dartmouth in the pecking order however and should've gotten first crack at the Mt. Ida students.
#maction 🚩#flagship

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:13 am

My sense is that the private schools are getting really worried about the moves UMASS is making that will undermine their influence in the state. As a result, they are promoting the narrative that Amherst is undermining Boston. By setting the two campus' against each other and throwing in a little bit of racism claims, they are taking the focus off the real issue. Massachusetts needs to provide more funding for ALL public higher education- that means the UMASS system (including Boston) as well as the other state universities and the community college systems.

I don't ever recall Venocchi or the Globe shouting- "fund UMASS like Michigan or the UC system". They are shills for the private colleges and universities of Mass. Venocchi is a BU grad and in my mind could care less about UMASS Boston. My mom and sister are grads of UMB and I think it is a great place (however mismanaged) and it deserves more funding from the state. Don't forget how upset people were that UMB was building dorms and how wrong that was.

Every time something good happens to the UMASS system, the private schools shiver and the Globe writes bad things about it. Don;t be fooled- these people do not want UMASS to excel.

Congrats to Swamy and Meehan for being bold and creative. This will benefit far more residents of Massachusetts than what a small private school can do.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:24 am

^ I agree with basically everything you said there Kahuna. I also agree with Sheck that UMB should have been given first crack at the Mt Ida students - frankly all of the schools in the UMass system should share the split if the students want to transfer to that specific school. Obviously treating it as a normal admission (take say, max of 10% into Amherst, 20% into Lowell etc...).

The Globe taking down the State University with every chance it gets is becoming comical. Unfortunately 99% of their readers are likely VERY uninformed and take every word they say as gospel.
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:50 am The stupidity is both hilarious and infuriating.

This probably sums up my feelings the best.

This is a great opportunity for the STATE OF MASSACHUSETTS. It completely opens up the Boston market to Amherst and the flagship campus and it's students. The private schools in Boston must be shaking in their booties over the thought of some of the best and brightest the state has to offer seeing a rising education coming out of a school at significantly less than half the cost. Not to mention all of the extracurricular's that in my (obviously unbiased :D ) opinion are second to none in the state.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:39 am

This whole thing is another reason that the Flagship NEEDS to get rid of the -Amherst.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:49 am

MJatUM wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:24 am ^ I agree with basically everything you said there Kahuna. I also agree with Sheck that UMB should have been given first crack at the Mt Ida students -
UM probably had to guarantee that all Mt Ida students could go together to one campus. UMD got first crack because they have plenty of dorm space (since probably many Mt. Ida students are from out of state) where UMB is tight. Absorbing that many students will be tough. My guess is that all UM campuses will be flexible with accepting students- especially UMB.

I never heard of this before. It should be interesting on how it works out. I had read that many years ago that UMA almost absorbed Hampshire College. My guess is this will become a common theme over the next decade countrywide. Unless a private school has a large endowment, their continued existence is a little shaky. The cost of going to college is really out of hand. Not sure how so many students survive with all that debt.

Good luck to all the Mt. Ida students as they pursue their education. Hope it works out for them.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:58 am

Interesting article from April 2013 speaking to the financial challenges of many private colleges. No mention of Mt. Ida though.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/20 ... story.html