UMass-NFL news

Get ready for some MACtion
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: UMass-NFL news

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 am

Seriously? His knee, exactly what he said it was in his announcement yesterday.

Having the degrees he has (or finishing the Isenberg one, not sure how much he has left if he hasn't completed it already) allows him to fall back and step away from football, and the potential riches of the NFL, knowing he'll be in a good spot to succeed in life. That's great and he's a smart guy for ensuring he was going to have that.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:43 am

Sad news for Adam, but I'm glad for his time at UMass and that UMass will help him be successful in his life. I think he'll be a great ambassador for us, and I wish him all the best.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:02 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:56 am Seriously? His knee, exactly what he said it was in his announcement yesterday.
IV - I just didn't see it as so black and white. I thought from the beginning that he was a long shot to make it through two seasons, never mind playing in the NFL, and, as the MBA became a certainty, I slowly upped that probability in my mind when he didn't play in the all-star game and then was not invited to the combine. Nothing more sinister. I empathized with Adam when I read his announcement, but I certainly was not surprised.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:36 pm

Fair enough... it's just that the post you quoted made it seem like the degree he was getting would be the reason he wouldn't play in the NFL, not the injury. Hence my questioning of it. If you thought he wouldn't make it through 2 years from the get go due to the Penn State injury, that's a different story.

Appreciate it!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:36 am

Diggz hangs 'em up. He is on my very short list of UMass favorites.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BghTMFnlB6v/

Ryan Bamford @UMassADBamford
Proud of all you’ve accomplished @JamesIhedigbo. You’ve always been a great representative of @UMassAmherst and @UMassFootball. Respect.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Anyone here get to watch James Ihedigbo when he played at Amherst Regional HS?

So cool that he stayed local, went to UMass, and then made a name out of himself in the NFL.

Career NFL statistics
Tackles: 394
Sacks: 9.0
Interceptions: 8
Forced fumbles: 9
Pass deflections: 24

Very nice!

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:50 pm

I was fortunate enough to meet James and his mother (who is a professor) at a couple of events. If I remember correctly, he has established a clinic in Nigeria to treat children. (I'm fuzzy on the details, but there is no question as to his commitment to this cause.) They are both fine, upstanding people and great representatives of UMass.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:22 pm

69MG wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:50 pm I was fortunate enough to meet James and his mother (who is a professor) at a couple of events. If I remember correctly, he has established a clinic in Nigeria to treat children. (I'm fuzzy on the details, but there is no question as to his commitment to this cause.) They are both fine, upstanding people and great representatives of UMass.
Professor at UMass? I mean, even if it's at one of the other local colleges, WOW good for her!

Maybe he can get a job on the UMass staff, even if it's something like a defensive backs coach - would be great.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:30 pm

inthescoop wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:39 pm Anyone here get to watch James Ihedigbo when he played at Amherst Regional HS?

So cool that he stayed local, went to UMass, and then made a name out of himself in the NFL.

Career NFL statistics

Very nice!
I did. He was not even the "best" on the team. He was undersized as an underclassman. His brother was a year older and a beast too. Amherst HS had many 1AA and even 1A level guys in the early 2000s then a bunch left and went the prep school way when the HC moved on to Worcester State. Remember he was a walk on that became an all American.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:34 pm

inthescoop wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:39 pm Anyone here get to watch James Ihedigbo when he played at Amherst Regional HS?

Career NFL statistics

Very nice!

You forgot the two biggest stats:
2 Super Bowl appearances
1 Super Bowl Championship.

Solid career James! And anyone that follows him knows he's destined for even bigger things in life.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Yeah, but those are team statistics, not individual. Especially in football, since players don't play on both sides, only being one-dimensional for the most part, unless you play Special Teams as well I guess.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:17 pm

inthescoop wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:22 pm
69MG wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:50 pm I was fortunate enough to meet James and his mother (who is a professor) at a couple of events. If I remember correctly, he has established a clinic in Nigeria to treat children. (I'm fuzzy on the details, but there is no question as to his commitment to this cause.) They are both fine, upstanding people and great representatives of UMass.
Professor at UMass? I mean, even if it's at one of the other local colleges, WOW good for her!

Maybe he can get a job on the UMass staff, even if it's something like a defensive backs coach - would be great.
Here's a little more info. I may have erred on the professorship but she was a teacher and a UMass Grad.
Ihedigbo founded the HOPE Africa Foundation in 2008 to help provide educational services for underprivileged communities in Africa.[39] The foundation offers a wealth of assistance to these communities in the form of scholarships, mentoring, funding, and developmental projects
http://www.daystar.com/guest-guide/dr-r ... -franklin/

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:37 pm

Here's some of "the rest of the story." It is an amazing tale:

http://archive.boston.com/sports/footba ... oundation/

And then there is his sister: https://onyiiandco.wordpress.com/tag/ihedigbo/

Carl Spackler
Junior

Post by Carl Spackler » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:02 am

Any news / updates from the UMass Pro Day? Times, reps, etc....anybody particularly impressive, surprising?

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:50 am

Check today's UMass web site man . . that's all there is!