KAEO: Randall West

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

KAEO: Randall West

Post by Old Cage » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:02 am

Since we need discussion topics here: Does anyone think that West might have a decision to make?

With football, he will sit again this fall, and then maybe (?) have a year to start after Ford and Comis are gone. He has seen mop-up duty in four games in two years, and probably is in the same situation again this year.

With hoops, any decision would probably be determined by how many of our big guys come back. I understand that he is "only" 6'4".

Does he have the ability to be a contributor for two years on what we believe will be a quite solid hoops team? From what I have seen (only on tv), he has the instincts. I'm not suggesting, just probing from a distance. Thoughts?
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Randall West

Post by eldonabe » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:17 am

West is on the team because we are desperately short on bodies.

While he is certainly not looking completely lost out there, he is not a long term solution for the roster - which I believe is full next year without even considering him.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:25 am

^ I think you missed my point. I know very well that we are short of bodies. And, I know that the roster is supposedly full for next year. I question that because we seem to be still recruiting.

There has been talk here that some of our bigs may not be back. I don't know if there is any substance to that. My question is: if we lose multiple bodies from that roster, including one or two bigs, is Randall a viable option at a late date?
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:03 am

That is a fair question then I guess.....

I still think West was a simple stop-gap this year. If I were him I would be hard pressed to dump Football for Hoops if only because that was the reason I came here in the first place? But you never know I suppose.

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:32 am

eldonabe wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:03 am That is a fair question then I guess.....

I still think West was a simple stop-gap this year. If I were him I would be hard pressed to dump Football for Hoops if only because that was the reason I came here in the first place? But you never know I suppose.
Completely agree. If he were to leave football then he'd have to get a hoop scholarship and I think a hoop scholarship would be better used on another recruit with more long term potential. He'd have to forfeit his football scholarship and be a walk-on hoop player paying his own way which I doubt will happen. He'd also have to decide very soon as spring practices are starting up for football in the next few weeks. He'd also have to commit to the summer hoop program on campus. But I can def see him back next season once football is over if for nothing else a depth player.
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:34 am

EDIT: Fenway beat me to the scholarship part.

I think the absolute ceiling for West next season is exactly what he did this season - but with significantly less playing time.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:39 am

MJatUM wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:34 am EDIT: Fenway beat me to the scholarship part.

I think the absolute ceiling for West next season is exactly what he did this season - but with significantly less playing time.
If his role on the football team is diminished further and the football team does not pull his scholarship, he can play basketball. there is a hierarchy where football is at the top scholarship wise. Anyone scholarship football player playing hoops is playing as a non scholarship player on the basketball team. If a scholarship player on the hoops team got on the football team however, the scholarship would count against football. the rules are there so that schools can’t hide kids on lower level teams, track for instance is below both basketball and football, so a scholarship track athlete can not walk on football or hoops.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:44 am

I think he keep's his football scholarship and maybe walks on again next year, but earlier. Depending on next year's roster, he may not see the court.
What will go into the decision is how good are the new players next year, does anyone leave and is there a need for someone with his skill set, which is limited but will improve if he plays again next year.

For the record, I am impressed as hell with what he has done so far. Last night he was awesome.

Edit: Someone tweeted, i think, that maybe Randall should be given a shot at tight end. I have no idea but it's an interesting thought.

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:49 am

minutefanjsf wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:39 am
MJatUM wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:34 am EDIT: Fenway beat me to the scholarship part.

There is a hierarchy where football is at the top scholarship wise. Anyone scholarship football player playing hoops is playing as a non scholarship player on the basketball team. If a scholarship player on the hoops team got on the football team however, the scholarship would count against football. the rules are there so that schools can’t hide kids on lower level teams, track for instance is below both basketball and football, so a scholarship track athlete can not walk on football or hoops.
Interesting. I never knew that there was a hierarchy. I never thought about a team trying to do that but it makes sense a team would do it if allowed. Sounds very Belichick like LOL..
A smart person learns from his mistakes, but a truly wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:37 am

Movin' On Up?

@JoshMaurerRadio
11m11 minutes ago

Randall West (!) with 8 pts, 6 rebs and 3 blocks is about as incredible/unreal as it gets. Kudos to the entire team and staff, all associated with program should be proud.

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:04 pm

I'm dominant in my right arm, and I typically use my right, especially when lifting and moving heavy things. But what's strange is my left arm is stronger even though I use it less.
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:59 pm

Have to say, I'm really impressed with West. To come in and do the things he's doing halfway+ thru the season and contribute is amazing. Gotta be a pretty good athlete to pull this off
Time to Win

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:51 am

Good story on Randall's basketball adventure.
http://www.gazettenet.com/UMass-Randall ... e-16005298

Am I reading too much into this or is it OK to be a little more optimistic about RH than before:
“They’ve been really welcoming. I knew a lot of the guys ahead of time. I knew Rashaan (Holloway), Malik (Hines) and C.J. (Anderson) The younger guys, especially Pip (Luwane Pipkins), have been really helpful,” he said. “Even though Rashaan isn’t playing, he’s telling me new methods I can use to be better defensively and offensively and overall. There are a lot of good guys in that locker room.”

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:26 am

What I read into it is what we already know: Holloway is a good guy with a high hoops IQ.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

fenway617
Hall of Fame

Post by fenway617 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:44 pm

While I am not much of a college football fan I did watch some of the Umass game Saturday and at halftime they interviewed Matt McCall and he indicated that Randall West would be back this season. He said his shirt is in his locker for whenever he is ready to return. He went on to say he didn't think he'd play as much this season as last with more bodies on the team but he would be back at some point when football ended.