McGuirk Upgrade

Get ready for some MACtion
eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Re: McGuirk Upgrade

Post by eldonabe » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:50 am

McKinney wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:04 pm PK, not sure coaching staff should be discussed on the stadium thread, but I'll give you my two cents anyway.
pk77 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:15 pm (1) do you feel we have the level of talent needed at the assistant coach levels
I don't know for all assistant coaches, but I've done some basic analysis comparing offensive line performance and special teams performance. We stack up at #122 and #119 accordingly. #78 and #106 when adjusted for compensation, but that's not too helpful of a stat (as I'll explain later) other than determining good candidates that we can afford to hire. The special teams coordinator is being replaced in this offseason so I hope to see an improvement there.

In case you're wondering there's only a 3% correlation between assistant pay and performance for offensive line coaches and a 5% correlation for special teams coordinators. Granted increasing compensation will allow us to attract more qualified and proven candidates, but paying more does not necessarily guarantee better position coaches. Ultimately that depends on the judgement of the hiring manager (Whipple).
pk77 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:15 pm (2) do you agree that we need to spend money to find an offensive coordinator to allow Whipple to focus on being a head coach ( based on all the comments I see on this site and everybody complaining about his play calling) your answer better be yes?
Yes.
You friggin` math majors have to ruin it for everyone don't you :wink:

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:23 pm

The idea of offering up free tickets to students in the UMass system is an outside-the-box idea. Don’t forget, however, that the UMass student tickets aren’t free - they pay a mandatory fee that covers the cost of the tickets. If UMass were to offer free tickets to students at other UMass campuses, I hope they would find a way to capture funding from those students, too. Let’s not forget that this isn’t a charity. It’s a business.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:31 pm

UMass02 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:23 pm The idea of offering up free tickets to students in the UMass system is an outside-the-box idea. Don’t forget, however, that the UMass student tickets aren’t free - they pay a mandatory fee that covers the cost of the tickets. If UMass were to offer free tickets to students at other UMass campuses, I hope they would find a way to capture funding from those students, too. Let’s not forget that this isn’t a charity. It’s a business.
That's what I was talking about with funding it as a system. I'm not sure how that would work, but yeah. :)
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:42 pm

pk77 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:15 pm Whipple was forced to go the cheap route with the coaching staff and was forced to also be the offensive coordinator to save money.
I agree with a lot of your posted (Gillette can definitely be an asset that can be better utilized), but you've repeated the bolded portion several times now, and I'm very skeptical of it being true...where did you hear it, or are you guessing? Bamford has shown that he is willing to make much more financially involved coaching moves when they are needed, so it makes no sense to me that he would skimp on something so much less in the whole scheme of things (especially since you are equating this to savings for a new stadium), especially if Whipple made it clear that's what he needed to be successful. On the contrary, and I could be wrong, but my understanding is that there is no offensive coordinator because Whipple wants to be the offensive coordinator.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:58 pm

DEM wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:42 pm I agree with a lot of your posted (Gillette can definitely be an asset that can be better utilized), but you've repeated the bolded portion several times now, and I'm very skeptical of it being true...where did you hear it, or are you guessing? Bamford has shown that he is willing to make much more financially involved coaching moves when they are needed, so it makes no sense to me that he would skimp on something so much less in the whole scheme of things (especially since you are equating this to savings for a new stadium), especially if Whipple made it clear that's what he needed to be successful. On the contrary, and I could be wrong, but my understanding is that there is no offensive coordinator because Whipple wants to be the offensive coordinator.
After comparing the finances of all D1 programs, that's my understanding as well. I believe it has very little to do with the finances.

x-post from http://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/view ... 28#p463028
McKinney wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:44 pm
Berkman wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:58 pm
69MG wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:40 pm I am now in the camp of we need an OC next year. .
I know that a lot of you guys want a OC for next year but I don't think that we will get one while Whip is the coach. The money he is saving by not having an OC has been spread out to the other assistants.
Give me a break. :roll: Whipple is not a martyr for agreeing to make $470k. Up until this year, he deserved that relatively "low" pay for an FBS coach, and hardly anything more. (In my 2016 HC performance/$ metric he ranked #107/128 FBS and #138/253 FBS+FCS). Would you expect a bottom 10 team's coach to be making even average FBS pay?

I've posted about this before, but we're financially in the top third of G5 athletic departments, affording a quality OC should not be an issue. Additionally, after this year, going 4-1 and reaching new heights in terms of rankings (most I've seen get us out of the bottom third of FBS) we can reconsider a raise if he gets a contract extension. I can't think of a reason why Whipple won't hire an OC, maybe it's arrogance in his abilities or maybe he feels he hasn't worked well with OCs in the past, idk, but it shouldn't be for financial reasons.

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:37 pm

The idea that Whipple is the OC and HC because it saves money has primarily been perpetrated by one poster on this board. That one poster has posted it so many times that it appears to have taken on a life of its own and is being accepted as truth by a lot of people.

The fact that UMass saves money on an OC under the current coaching staff structure is more byproduct than by design. Whipple wants to be the OC. He's not doing both jobs to save the program money, and don't let anyone try and convince you otherwise.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:49 am

College football's Power 5 is seeing attendance dropping, fyi.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -34-years/

Some colleges are even downsizing their stadiums.

From the article -

"This is not surprising to me," said Bill Lutzen, a veteran sports TV programmer who is currently the CFO of a web optimization firm. "This issue is with lack of involvement of the college students. They no longer view attending sporting events as part of the university experience."
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:24 am

Are they dropping to below 20k and getting rid of the bathrooms? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:29 am

MJatUM wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:24 am Are they dropping to below 20k and getting rid of the bathrooms? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

See - if we stall long enough - everyone else will come back down to our level!

Bamford is a fucking genius!!!!!!!

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:35 pm

As a marketing person, I try to follow trends. We all know that it has been a pretty hard road for UMASS to have undergrads stay for the games. After they party in the parking lots, there is a migration back to campus, as the UM cops shut tailgate activities down. Seeing problems in the Top 5 conferences is noteworthy

If there is a generational aspect that live football is less of a thing for millenials, and football itself is under attack for long term health effects, I'd make the experience better - more bathrooms - but minimize the stadium upgrades. UMASS has already invested across campus in upgraded single use facilities.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

dennisdent
Senior

Post by dennisdent » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Indoor athletic facility (turf field with bubble) is in the works. Nothing is going to happen with the football stadium...

DearOleUMass
Sophomore

Post by DearOleUMass » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:14 pm

MJatUM wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:24 am Are they dropping to below 20k and getting rid of the bathrooms? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.
Hey Felgah, go efff yourself. Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:13 pm

econalum wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:49 am College football's Power 5 is seeing attendance dropping, fyi.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -34-years/

Some colleges are even downsizing their stadiums.

From the article -

"This is not surprising to me," said Bill Lutzen, a veteran sports TV programmer who is currently the CFO of a web optimization firm. "This issue is with lack of involvement of the college students. They no longer view attending sporting events as part of the university experience."
Are they playing in a stadium designed for a College Division/Division II team? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Carl Spackler
Junior

Post by Carl Spackler » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:17 am

30 to 35k, plentiful bathrooms in concourse, strong, free WiFi, cheap food and cheap draft beer options...I’ll hang up and listen.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:28 am

Carl Spackler wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:17 am 30 to 35k, plentiful bathrooms in concourse, strong, free WiFi, cheap food and cheap draft beer options...I’ll hang up and listen.
LOL thank you this is what I was getting at but it obviously didn't come across that way. There is no doubt (as Econ pointed out) that interest in college football is fading across the country - but it will not fade to the point that McGuirk is a feasible long term solution.