Massachusetts Athletics Branding

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Crank
Senior

Re: Massachusetts Athletics Branding

Post by Crank » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Your point about LSU is what I’m alluding to-the outliers are memorable.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:18 am

I, like most, would prefer Massachusetts, but I have never had a problem with UMass. It flows well, as does UConn, and I think the reason it's not part of other school's branding is that it wouldn't sound good. UWash? UMich? UZona? UWisc?

I did get a chuckle out of BT's posting of the Great Alaskan Shootout game vs UNO and the announcer pronouncing out "UNO" rather than saying "U-N-O."
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:50 pm

I have absolutely no preference, but I grew up in the valley in the 80's and 90's and always heard it referred to as UMass,which is what I always call it. The only differences I heard were which syllable people put the emphasis on: U-mass or u-MASS. The University of Massachusetts is the school, UMass is just a nickname. Why am I even posting? I really don't care. The end.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:35 am

A little off topic, but how about some old school branding. A shout-out to Berkman, who provided a lot of the items and I added my collection. It just proves that if you are old you have a lot of time to accumulate stuff.

https://twitter.com/AP_UMass/status/951487305235263489

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:46 am

^

Did you donate all of that or just bring it in to show?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 am

Donated. I told AP he could keep anything he wanted (maybe to be put on display) and I would take back the rest. I was told a couple of years ago that they were planning a historical exhibit area in the Performance Center and Champions' Center. I hope that comes to fruition. One of the items I love (from Berkman) is a game program from 1968-1969 that shows the freshman team roster with Julius. There can't be many of those around.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 am

Nice! I like the idea of the historical display at the CC.... but hopefully it's something that is publicly accessible.

Also... any future donations can go to me :)

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:23 am

69MG wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 am Donated. I told AP he could keep anything he wanted (maybe to be put on display) and I would take back the rest. I was told a couple of years ago that they were planning a historical exhibit area in the Performance Center and Champions' Center. I hope that comes to fruition. One of the items I love (from Berkman) is a game program from 1968-1969 that shows the freshman team roster with Julius. There can't be many of those around.
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 am Nice! I like the idea of the historical display at the CC.... but hopefully it's something that is publicly accessible.

Also... any future donations can go to me :)
That's awesome! What a great collection! Definitely a big thing if they made the display publicly accessible. I've thought for a few years now the cage would be a great place to turn into an athletics/university history museum, would be a great place to tour for prospective students. I took one of my buddies who was transfering up from STCC and deciding between here and Lowell to The Cage on a tour of campus. Telling him about Dr. J was one thing, but when he stepped inside that old gym he put on a big smile and told me "this is the place for me".
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:37 am

^ That is an excellent idea!

Also, I've mentioned this before here: A few years ago I spoke with an archivist at our library that is interested athletic memorabilia. The current collection - which has more depth than one might imagine - is housed on one of the library's upper floors. I don't have a lot of "stuff," but donating special items to our sports collection is in my plans.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

eXelwood
Sophomore

Post by eXelwood » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:43 am

Connecticut has branded its state U , UConn, Given the success of it's basketball teams it is nationally recognized and no longer confused with the Canadian Arctic.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:48 am

Old Cage wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:37 am ^ That is an excellent idea!

Also, I've mentioned this before here: A few years ago I spoke with an archivist at our library that is interested athletic memorabilia. The current collection - which has more depth than one might imagine - is housed on one of the library's upper floors. I don't have a lot of "stuff," but donating special items to our sports collection is in my plans.
There's also quite a bit of Mass Aggie memorabilia on display at Old Chapel. Actually looking at some of that stuff made me realize how recent (relative to our 155 year history) we've been known as "UMass" (and all it's derivatives like UM, U of M, U. of Mass., Univ. of Mass.).

Should definitely check it out if you haven't already.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:51 am

eXelwood wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:43 am Connecticut has branded its state U , UConn, Given the success of it's basketball teams it is nationally recognized and no longer confused with the Canadian Arctic.
When they began their transition to FBS they officially rebranded as Connecticut including a new "block C" logo. They did however rebrand back to UCONN (and adopted shared branding between athletics and academics) when they moved to the AAC in 2013.

Last edited by McKinney on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:52 am

McKinney wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:48 am

There's also quite a bit of Mass Aggie memorabilia on display at Old Chapel. Actually looking at some of that stuff made me realize how recent (relative to our 155 year history) we've been known as "UMass" (and all it's derivatives like UM, U of M, U. of Mass., Univ. of Mass.).

1948 is when we became the University of Massachusetts (no Amherst!) and were Massachusetts State College immediately before that. We were the Aggies, Statesmen and then Redmen all before the Minutemen, which happened even more recently, 1972. Thankfully we avoided another change in 2003/4...

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:04 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:52 am
McKinney wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:48 am

1948 is when we became the University of Massachusetts (no Amherst!) and were Massachusetts State College immediately before that. We were the Aggies, Statesmen and then Redmen all before the Minutemen, which happened even more recently, 1972. Thankfully we avoided another change in 2003/4...
Yeah that's for damn sure. I can't imagine having five athletics nicknames over our history. :!: :shock:

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:05 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:52 am Thankfully we avoided another change in 2003/4...
For now.....