FBS Playoff

Get ready for some MACtion
natwam2547
Hall of Fame

Re: FBS Playoff

Post by natwam2547 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:49 pm

MJatUM wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:47 am I agree that Bama is probably the better team but they are being rewarded for scheduling an absolute joke of an out of conference schedule. One of OSU's losses was against the #2 team who they had the balls to schedule - It basically came down to OSU lost to Iowa so they aren't in.
Scheduling Oklahoma last year and winning on the road is what got Ohio State in over Penn State. Scheduling them this year and losing at home is what played a factor in eliminating them. They've fallen on both sides of the "scheduling tough" argument in just the past 2 years. But that probably wasn't the deciding factor. If they lose to Iowa by 7 or they blowout Wisconsin instead of holding on by 6 they are in over Alabama. Yes - Mercer is a joke but that's nothing new for SEC teams. They always schedule weaker opponents the 2nd to last game of the year. IE: Georgia hosting Umass on 11/17/18 next year ::ducks::

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:07 am

Quann wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:15 pm
In basketball, it's brutal. You can have a sub .500 team catch fire in March and win the conference tourney and get the auto-bid. I hate that.
See you hate that but some people love it. In basketball it doesn't usually make a difference since those teams that go on those type of runs are usually in a play-in game before getting obliterated by a 1 seed.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:36 pm

I’m all for a 16-team tourney. Ten conference champions, six at-large bids. ALL champions get an auto bid. I know it will never happen, but can’t a guy dream? It would make college football fans feel about December as college basketball fans feel about March.

What if college basketball decided to stop issuing auto bids to ALL conferences? Would that ruin the mystique of March Madness? Perhaps they take all champs from conferences with dismal RPI scores and pick the best two. Take the spots that opened up and give them to “bubble” teams. Would that make the tournament more exciting? That’s essentially what some here are proposing they do with football.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:52 pm

Thus ends any argument that the playoff should not be at least 8 teams (12 is better) with UCF winning today. I would love to see the AP voters have the balls to vote them #1 because they very well could be the best team in the land.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:50 pm

This Rose Bowl game has quite a few highlight plays. Wow
Time to Win

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 am

Bama's D is ridiculous.. I think I saw somewhere that their entire starting defense will be playin on sundays. Also, I think the Pats should consider taking Mayfield. I am not worried about his height.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:02 am

The final is bad news for SEC haters and offense lovers. That said, I think Georgia will win if they don't turn over the ball. That's the only way Alabama can score.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:00 am

That Georgia-Oklahoma game was better than any NFL game I watched all season, and not even close.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:14 am

stevemaz wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:52 pm Thus ends any argument that the playoff should not be at least 8 teams (12 is better) with UCF winning today. I would love to see the AP voters have the balls to vote them #1 because they very well could be the best team in the land.
There are not 12 teams "worthy" of winning the national title... Hell, there are hardly 8.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:23 am

MJatUM wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:14 am
There are not 12 teams "worthy" of winning the national title... Hell, there are hardly 8.
Couldn't one make the same argument about the basketball tournament?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:39 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:23 am
Couldn't one make the same argument about the basketball tournament?
Absolutely, but they are apples and oranges for me. There's just so much more going on with the hoops tournament between all the auto bids and 3x the teams. Now if part of your 12 is to have every conference get an auto bid then I am more on board. This of course would drive the need for a conference through the roof but that is a different conversation for a different thread.

The way it is now, I could have made the case that definitely UCF, probably Wisconsin and OSU and then you have a few decent teams like Miami, Auburn, USC. There's 10 teams... then who are the last 2? We're talking like Penn State, Washington, Notre Dame, Stanford, TCU, Michigan State. Gross. I get the logic that in order for these teams to win the national title they will have to eventually beat one of the best teams, but I'd honestly rather have FAU as the CUSA champ or Toledo as the MAC champ (even though they got croaked by App St) as the 12 seed than say Washington or Notre Dame.

EDIT TO ADD: for auto bids it would really need to be a 16 team playoff... 10 auto bids and 6 at large. P5 would NEVER go for this though.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:49 am

Eh, I just don't know if I agree that there aren't 12 worthy teams.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 pm

stevemaz wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:52 pm Thus ends any argument that the playoff should not be at least 8 teams (12 is better) with UCF winning today. I would love to see the AP voters have the balls to vote them #1 because they very well could be the best team in the land.
WTF let's just do a field of 68 then they can all hang NCAA Tournament banners for every appearance and play games until the Spring Thaw :roll: :roll: The second you dilute the field you cannot "undilute" it, the second you create an "auto" bid it is over - everybody gets a fucking trophy. There is no perfect solution, but Auto-Anything IS NOT the answer. As much fun as the Basketball Tourney is, at least 80% of the teams "Dancing" have ZERO chance and in that list of teams with ZERO Chance are A LOT of Conference Champs.

I think the committee got it right. They picked the 4 best teams by whatever metric they settled on and that DID NOT include auto anything. Watching these coaches and talking heads politic their resume all November was vomit inducing. No matter how many teams get in the next one in line (#69 or #5 or #9) can bitch that they should be in there too. And the answer is always the same - You should not have lost to team X - GET OVER IT.

Should UCF have had some consideration? Arguable - the simple fact is that 13-0 does not automatically qualify you any more than winning your Conference Championship. I also don't want to watch some sacrificial lamb auto bid from the Sunbelt get obliterated in the first round by the #1 seed either - No Thank you.

Frankly it took more "balls" to take Alabama over Ohio State then it would have to take UCF because Alabama is one of the 4 best teams in the country and UCF is not.

Crank
Senior

Post by Crank » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:55 pm

With the obvious caveat that the transitive property is meaningless, the fact that UCF beat Auburn who beat both Georgia and Alabama lends at least some consideration that they may actually be one of the top 4 teams. The P5 cartel just ensured that we'll never find out.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Crank wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:55 pm With the obvious caveat that the transitive property is meaningless, the fact that UCF beat Auburn who beat both Georgia and Alabama lends at least some consideration that they may actually be one of the top 4 teams. The P5 cartel just ensured that we'll never find out.
I think it's clear the 4 team playoff system works and well enough for an expansion. The NCAA moves very slowly when it comes to these type of things. Even a top 6, where the 1 and 2 get a bye week.

UCF was undervalued all season long.