Campus Master Plan Explorer

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
FightMass19
Sophomore

Re: Campus Master Plan Explorer

Post by FightMass19 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:30 pm

McKinney wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:47 pm So to note this Master Plan came out in 2012, and they update it every 5 years. We should expect the 2017 edition sometime early in 2018 I'd think. Here's some artist renderings I found of the plan.

Here it is taken from the West side facing East

And here taken from the Northwest facing Southeast
That's a B1G time campus right there :wink:

I wonder if the school is planning to expand its student body with these additions. Seems like it would give them the capacity to do so. Push to 40K ish?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm

FightMass19 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:30 pm
I wonder if the school is planning to expand its student body with these additions. Seems like it would give them the capacity to do so. Push to 40K ish?
Considering the addition of the Northwest living and the addition to OH and upper Central, I'd say probably closer to 35k. Maybe 40k if there is further off campus housing expansion in Amherst or the surrounding towns.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

FightMass19
Sophomore

Post by FightMass19 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:53 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:49 pm
Considering the addition of the Northwest living and the addition to OH and upper Central, I'd say probably closer to 35k. Maybe 40k if there is further off campus housing expansion in Amherst or the surrounding towns.
One of the really interesting things I've noticed is just how many kids at UMass live on campus. If I'm not mistaken, UMass is in the top 5 (or something crazy like that) in terms of percentage of students living on campus among public universities.

Other large public institutions have almost all of their students living off campus after their Freshman year. Seems to me like this isn't a route UMass is going to take with the expansion in Northwest, but I could certainly see another complex like Olympia Place and Kendrick Place popping up closer to campus to house more students.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:05 pm

I long ago heard Lombardi say at a meeting that 33,000 undergrads was the optimal population for a flagship public university. The was no elaboration as to where that model came from.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:09 pm

I don't know if it's been talked about on here, but the school has relocated and is renovating the last barn on campus to Stockbridge's Agricultural Learning Center just North of campus. I for one am glad that they're restoring and repurposing our old buildings like this, South College, Old Chapel, and West Experiment Station (Hatch Lab).
https://www.umass.edu/newsoffice/articl ... ricultural

Here's the 1894 Horse Barn at the turn of the 20th century.

Just a couple years ago I was walking around campus and saw found the barn in this state.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

FightMass19
Sophomore

Post by FightMass19 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:14 pm

@McKinney - construction on it is taking place on North Pleasant St. close to the Presidential Apartments if I'm not mistaken! I loved that barn - I lived close to it and was able to see it from my window in Sycamore Hall every day. I thought it could have served a nice purpose as a function hall in the location it was in but nevertheless I'm glad they are preserving the aggie roots of our beloved university.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:01 am

FightMass19 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:53 pm

One of the really interesting things I've noticed is just how many kids at UMass live on campus. If I'm not mistaken, UMass is in the top 5 (or something crazy like that) in terms of percentage of students living on campus among public universities.

Other large public institutions have almost all of their students living off campus after their Freshman year. Seems to me like this isn't a route UMass is going to take with the expansion in Northwest, but I could certainly see another complex like Olympia Place and Kendrick Place popping up closer to campus to house more students.
While I can't comment on the specific figure, this was the case when I was there in the early 2000s as well. Top 5 sounds about right, though I think at that time it might have been top 5 in actual bodies rather than %. Either way, it's pretty remarkable. I think the town that UMass exists in is a hindrance to expanding the off campus students. Amherst wants to stay the small town it was before UMass ever existed.
McKinney wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:09 pm I don't know if it's been talked about on here, but the school has relocated and is renovating the last barn on campus to Stockbridge's Agricultural Learning Center just North of campus. I for one am glad that they're restoring and repurposing our old buildings like this, South College, Old Chapel, and West Experiment Station (Hatch Lab).
Completely agree, history is a very important thing. Keeping these buildings in shape and viable for the campus and local community is important.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:01 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:01 am While I can't comment on the specific figure, this was the case when I was there in the early 2000s as well. Top 5 sounds about right, though I think at that time it might have been top 5 in actual bodies rather than %. Either way, it's pretty remarkable. I think the town that UMass exists in is a hindrance to expanding the off campus students. Amherst wants to stay the small town it was before UMass ever existed.
I'm actually not so sure all these housing plans are for the undergraduate population. The university uses AAU members to measure its performance, if we want to compete with them we need to significantly increase our graduate enrollment. Part of this will come from improving key graduate programs, of note the expansion of facilities for STEM and business programs, but the other part will need to be affordable and attractive housing options.

With that in mind, I'm not sure Amherst wants to be so small anymore. There have been multiple large apartment complexes under construction over the past few years: Olympia, Kendrick, Boltwood, new buildings in Alpine Common to name a few. The town has also been flexible with the concerns of the university, putting in a rotary on triangle street this summer to smooth increased traffic at the Southeast entrance to campus. Further, Hadley has not been shy about commercial development and I think they would see mixed-residential as an attractive replacement should the mall close (in all likelihood it will, at least in parts).

However, these options will still probably not cover the housing demand created if we are to compete with AAU members (or if undergraduate housing drops from its current 64% on-campus rate). I think on campus townhouses and apartments (like North Apartments) are going to be integral for this reason.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:58 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:51 pm Reaching out to WMass basketball people.........has anyone heard anything about this year being the last year that The Cage will host WMass Hoop Semis and Finals. UMass is looking to repurpose The Cage for other sports since neither Hoop teams practice there anymore since the advent of the Champions Center. There is a note in the Spring 2018 issue of Berkshire Magazine and that is not normally one of my sources of sports information, UMass or any other!!
Thanks!
I don't know anything about the semi/finals bid, but would not be surprised to see another tenant leave The Cage. Of course if/when this IPF is built there very well could be NO tenants at Curry Hicks Cage.

Being built in 1931, the year we became Mass. State College, that building has been a part of this campus through monumental changes and hosted some incredible teams. When The Cage was built there were only about 1,000 students enrolled on campus (and less than 200 were women :shock:), now we have over 30,000 students. As such, The Cage is a representation of UMass itself in the 20th century. Hell, even its architect was an alumnus (Class of 1916). It'd be a shame Curry Hicks Cage wasn't repurposed into something fitting, let alone demolished.

This is something Max Page and I might actually agree upon. :lol:
McKinney wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:23 am
69MG wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 am Donated. I told AP he could keep anything he wanted (maybe to be put on display) and I would take back the rest. I was told a couple of years ago that they were planning a historical exhibit area in the Performance Center and Champions' Center. I hope that comes to fruition. One of the items I love (from Berkman) is a game program from 1968-1969 that shows the freshman team roster with Julius. There can't be many of those around.
InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 am Nice! I like the idea of the historical display at the CC.... but hopefully it's something that is publicly accessible.

Also... any future donations can go to me :)
That's awesome! What a great collection! Definitely a big thing if they made the display publicly accessible. I've thought for a few years now the cage would be a great place to turn into an athletics/university history museum, would be a great place to tour for prospective students. I took one of my buddies who was transfering up from STCC and deciding between here and Lowell to The Cage on a tour of campus. Telling him about Dr. J was one thing, but when he stepped inside that old gym he put on a big smile and told me "this is the place for me".
Old Cage wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:37 am ^ That is an excellent idea!

Also, I've mentioned this before here: A few years ago I spoke with an archivist at our library that is interested athletic memorabilia. The current collection - which has more depth than one might imagine - is housed on one of the library's upper floors. I don't have a lot of "stuff," but donating special items to our sports collection is in my plans.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:00 pm

McKinney wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:58 pm
TruBluMaroon wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:51 pm Reaching out to WMass basketball people.........has anyone heard anything about this year being the last year that The Cage will host WMass Hoop Semis and Finals. UMass is looking to repurpose The Cage for other sports since neither Hoop teams practice there anymore since the advent of the Champions Center. There is a note in the Spring 2018 issue of Berkshire Magazine and that is not normally one of my sources of sports information, UMass or any other!!
Thanks!
I don't know anything about the semi/finals bid, but would not be surprised to see another tenant leave The Cage. Of course if/when this IPF is built there very well could be NO tenants at Curry Hicks Cage.
McKinney wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:23 am

So what do you do with the swim/diving teams pool which is part of the building as far as I know unless it is separate and somehow attached to the cage?

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Berkman wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:00 pm So what do you do with the swim/diving teams pool which is part of the building as far as I know unless it is separate and somehow attached to the cage?
I thought swim/diving was at Boyden and Totman?

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:15 am

You are right. But there is a pool that is used for something I am sure.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:55 pm

I spotted the copper being put up on the Isenberg expansion today. :D

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:07 pm

Boy does that look good.

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:40 pm

Looks good and copper ain't cheap; quality in, quality out.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.