Campus Master Plan Explorer

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Campus Master Plan Explorer

Post by Old Cage » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:14 am

This is on twitter this morning. I don't know if it is new.

http://maps.umass.edu/apps/MasterPlanEx ... plorer.htm
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Re: Campus Master Plan Explorer

Post by Swampy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:39 am

Old news because the CC, in a different location, and the band house are a reality. The athletic department would like to see a map with a new Boyden, I'm sure.

Oh, and Okaerinasai. 8)

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:47 pm

Swampy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:39 am Oh, and Okaerinasai.
Thank you. I certainly am.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

DearOleUMass
Sophomore

Post by DearOleUMass » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Old Cage wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:14 am This is on twitter this morning. I don't know if it is new.

http://maps.umass.edu/apps/MasterPlanEx ... plorer.htm
What context was this tweeted in?

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:26 pm

^ Randomly posted by the Los Angeles alumni group:

UMASS Amherst Alumni‏ @UmassAlumniLA

Curious about the future of campus? Take a peek at this interactive map of the Master Plan! http://fb.me/1urSId6tT

FightMass19
Sophomore

Post by FightMass19 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:29 pm

I've looked through this a few times.

The Northwest Corridor running right into the middle of campus looks fantastic!! Can't wait to see it when finished.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Maybe it's a small thing, but I like the bridge and "Ellis Way". Think it would do a lot to unify the campus, make it feel less "daunting". I know that my freshman year I lived in Orchard Hill and I mainly spent most of my time on campus East of the pond whereas my sophomore year I lived in Southwest and spent most of my time West of the pond.
The return of Ellis Way as a major pedestrian path that forms an arc through the center of the campus represents a unifying landscape element that will provide structure to the open space framework on campus and help clarify pedestrian circulation. It incorporates a bridge across the Campus Pond which was recommended in many previous campus plans, and will serve to unify the east and west areas of the campus, as well as to facilitate movement north and south.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:30 pm

FightMass19 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:29 pm I've looked through this a few times.

The Northwest Corridor running right into the middle of campus looks fantastic!! Can't wait to see it when finished.
If Northwest Residential Area was built I'd move in right now. Super close to the engineering buildings and close to the Mullins Center. They'd need to figure out the dining hall situation though. It'd be over a half mile to Worcester (which unless they update Worcester... not ideal) and about a mile to Hamp/Berk. That's pretty isolated and could easily turn into a Sylvan 2.0 if they don't account for that. Would also be hard in the winter. Mixed use (offer commercial space to on-campus restaurants, stores, entertainment) could work well if they don't want to invest in a 5th dining hall.

FightMass19
Sophomore

Post by FightMass19 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:46 pm

McKinney wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:30 pm
FightMass19 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:29 pm I've looked through this a few times.

If Northwest Residential Area was built I'd move in right now. Super close to the engineering buildings and close to the Mullins Center. They'd need to figure out the dining hall situation though. It'd be over a half mile to Worcester (which unless they update Worcester... not ideal) and about a mile to Hamp/Berk. That's pretty isolated and could easily turn into a Sylvan 2.0 if they don't account for that. Would also be hard in the winter. Mixed use (offer commercial space to on-campus restaurants, stores, entertainment) could work well if they don't want to invest in a 5th dining hall.
Still find it such a pain that there's isn't a DC in the Honors College. Doesn't have to be a full blown DC, but somewhere that accepts swipes (I used all my dining dollars at Roots Cafe within the first month). I'd assume if they were to build another Res area, a dining hall would be included.

DearOleUMass
Sophomore

Post by DearOleUMass » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:05 pm

FightMass19 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Still find it such a pain that there's isn't a DC in the Honors College. Doesn't have to be a full blown DC, but somewhere that accepts swipes (I used all my dining dollars at Roots Cafe within the first month). I'd assume if they were to build another Res area, a dining hall would be included.
Ya, dining halls are already packed as it is.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:46 pm

FightMass19 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:46 pm

That's more a Dining Services problem than anything. They should just have swipes count the same way YCMP counts when you're off campus.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:08 am

Rounding out (or squaring off, I guess) the campus has been something I've talked about for a long time now. A Northwest living area would be great, though I'd have it on the outside of Comm Ave/Governors Ave rather than inside of it. It would really bring some life to that end of the campus that has always been sorely lacking.

Also of not to us sports fans... a "Mullins Way Extension" is included here, as well as another connection with Rt 116. I think we all know that both of those are very much needed.

I think the town would lose it's mind if residences were put along East Pleasant St. And if that's the case, get that shovel in the ground ASAP!!! :lol:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:27 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:08 am Rounding out (or squaring off, I guess) the campus has been something I've talked about for a long time now. A Northwest living area would be great, though I'd have it on the outside of Comm Ave/Governors Ave rather than inside of it. It would really bring some life to that end of the campus that has always been sorely lacking.

Also of not to us sports fans... a "Mullins Way Extension" is included here, as well as another connection with Rt 116. I think we all know that both of those are very much needed.

I think the town would lose it's mind if residences were put along East Pleasant St. And if that's the case, get that shovel in the ground ASAP!!! :lol:
Idk if it changes your view on Governors Dr., but the plan calls for moving it further North in order to accommodate Northwest.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:38 pm

^

Ah yes, I didn't see that. That does change my view on it a bit. I think I'd still like to see it on the outside of the core ring, if you will. With the way it's situated here, which I didn't realize, it gets the job done and works too.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:47 pm

So to note this Master Plan came out in 2012, and they update it every 5 years. We should expect the 2017 edition sometime early in 2018 I'd think. Here's some artist renderings I found of the plan.

Here it is taken from the West side facing East

And here taken from the Northwest facing Southeast