Game # 11: BYU

Get ready for some MACtion
R&G
Junior

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by R&G » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 pm

So the long snapper is responsible for clock management in this scenario?

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:51 pm

R&G wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 pm So the long snapper is responsible for clock management in this scenario?
Seems that way according to some. I think he is only responsible to snap the ball. Breaking the huddle later etc, would lead to more time coming off the clock. I assume either the coaches or someone they've designated should be watching the clock. The long snapper would be the last person to be responsible for that IMO.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:01 pm

fyi unless a TO has been called there is no huddle on a punt, the punt team runs out w/the play clock running, lines up and tries to execute a punt.
It takes the Punt team about 14-17 seconds to set up.

In the 4th Q the 2 punts you were focusing on went off w/about 12 and then 5 seconds on the play clock. On the punt w/about 5:20 on the clock Laurent appeared to have run a bit of clock before indicating to the Right Protector (Brenneman) that he was set. Brenneman then signaled to Berus to snap. That kick went off w/5 seconds. So they burned about 7 seconds on that play. Seems like you might have missed it when you were watching in real time. But its all good. BTW I never stated that the long snapper was in charge of clock management... lol.

I've watched the game several times thanks to BYU TV. Their broadcasters did an excellent job w/the game and they were very impressed w/UMass all day long. On to FIU !!!

Bubba
Sophomore

Post by Bubba » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:30 pm

I'll pile on, as a former coach, player, ref and even backup long snapper, the long snapper going when he is ready. There is no count, no cadence, just when the snapper feels ready he goes. Long snapping is a tough enough job, you do not add extra burden to him. I cannot imagine trying to add clock management to that, you would have bad snaps more often than not. just my $.02

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:58 pm

Another one bites the dust! You could say that UMASS is single-handedly changing the coaching fraternity.....by winning!

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -ty-detmer

Can't wait for the day when a coach gets applauded after a loss for hanging tough with UMASS. :D