Game # 11: BYU

Get ready for some MACtion
McKinney
Senior

Re: Game # 11: BYU

Post by McKinney » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:30 pm

DEM wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:55 pm Pinkham does seem legit, based both on his past resume and the improvement the defense has seen this past season. If Whipple were to retire after this year, I think it would be reasonable to give him a good look as a potential HC.
The difference is night and day. LOVE IT.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:38 pm

minutefanjsf wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:09 pm There are still far too many mistakes being made that are attributed to coaching. For example, we never let the play clock or game clock run down to the last second on at least two punts when we were trying to kill clock. The interception by Hayes in the end zone should have been knocked down. It was 4th down and picking it off lost us at least 15 yards in field position.
You complain about the fact that more time could have run off the clock during the punts because there was value in running time off the clock and then you complain when the interceptor takes the interception out of the end zone, thus eating up valuable clock time.......you can't have it both ways!!

classof62-64
Sophomore

Post by classof62-64 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:52 pm

Any win at BYU is a good win. Coaches downplay it, but, the altitude is a factor. Plus, as many of their former Mountain West cohorts will attest, strange things happen there - almost always to the benefit of BYU. Things happen with the clock, things happen with the replays, things happen with the calls on the field, .............

Good win!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:25 pm

TruBluMaroon wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:38 pm
minutefanjsf wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:09 pm There are still far too many mistakes being made that are attributed to coaching. For example, we never let the play clock or game clock run down to the last second on at least two punts when we were trying to kill clock. The interception by Hayes in the end zone should have been knocked down. It was 4th down and picking it off lost us at least 15 yards in field position.
You complain about the fact that more time could have run off the clock during the punts because there was value in running time off the clock and then you complain when the interceptor takes the interception out of the end zone, thus eating up valuable clock time.......you can't have it both ways!!
Clock stops on change of possession. Running out of the endzone for 4-5 seconds and losing 15 yards of field position is not a good exchange. We gave them more than a half a minute with our punting. 15 yards is usually more than a play, which is more than 4-5 seconds, so yes I can have it both ways. When you are up and trying to use clock, use it all. When you're looking to flip the field, do it. It looked like neither of those ideas were in the players' or coaches' heads.

nighttrain777
Junior

Post by nighttrain777 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:41 pm

This was a big win, no matter how you slice it or try to dissect it. Let’s all sit back for a while and enjoy it.
'Fight On' You Loyal Sons and Daughters of Metawampe.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:50 pm

nighttrain777 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:41 pm This was a big win, no matter how you slice it or try to dissect it. Let’s all sit back for a while and enjoy it.
Huge win, no doubt. Good thing is they can watch film and still improve.

MikeEsq
Senior

Post by MikeEsq » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:20 pm

I'm really thrilled UMass won today. I admittedly gave up on the season a long time ago, and thought they were a total joke at 0-6. But this second half prove the players didn't give up on themselves, and they deserve all the accolades they've received. I wish they would have learned how to win earlier, then the sky would have been the limit this season. I didn't mind Whipple's play-calling of the runs in the fourth quarter, because it worked out in the end. Those that have seen past posts know I'm not a big fan, but it will be interesting to see if he gets a one-year extension. Would really like to see the 5-7 finish in two weeks.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:53 pm

My favorite stat: 3 penalties for 30 yards!

I'm sure most everyone knows, but just in case you can watch the game again (I just did) on WatchESPN.com. Here's the link:
http://www.espn.com/watch/#type/replay/

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:01 am

jpatsfan wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:53 pm I want to congratulate the players on a huge statement win against BYU on the road. The guys won today because of persistence, hard work, guts and a ton of heart. I give ZERO credit to the coaches. Say what you want about Whipple, but if there is no OC then he goes, end of story. This game was won because of the PLAYERS, not the coaches. The defense IMO played their best game of the FBS era, not just the season. They hit the Freshman QB early and often. Ford was smart, consistent and good in the pocket. This team won and they deserve all the credit. Very happy for the record and hoping for victory #5 in two weeks!
If you don't think Ed Pinkham has made a positive difference with this defense you should just stop watching football.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:28 am

Happy with the W and I will leave it at that... oh wait, I will add my usual we should be 7-4 or better (actually if things broke right could have been 11-0.. haha.. it is true though). Also, we need an OC. I am hoping Whip is not a complete arrogant fool and realizes his overall game management would be 1000% times better if he didn't have to call the plays. I cant see how money to an OC matters as I truly think next year we can get out a good start and will see attendance go 16K range in Amherst and maybe 20K in the BYU game at Gillette (hoping they don't move that to Fenway). Hiring an OC will most likely make the team better.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:15 am

From what I've heard it's more than game management it's program management. An OC would let Whip be more of a CEO. I think he focuses too much on being an OC and not enough on running a program.

jpatsfan
Junior

Post by jpatsfan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:35 am

TheInsider wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:01 am
jpatsfan wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:53 pm I want to congratulate the players on a huge statement win against BYU on the road. The guys won today because of persistence, hard work, guts and a ton of heart. I give ZERO credit to the coaches. Say what you want about Whipple, but if there is no OC then he goes, end of story. This game was won because of the PLAYERS, not the coaches. The defense IMO played their best game of the FBS era, not just the season. They hit the Freshman QB early and often. Ford was smart, consistent and good in the pocket. This team won and they deserve all the credit. Very happy for the record and hoping for victory #5 in two weeks!
If you don't think Ed Pinkham has made a positive difference with this defense you should just stop watching football.
So going into a power run offense with 7 minutes to go and a 13 point lead is acceptable? And no I will not stop watching football my criticism of the coaches is backed by a parade of errors and poor game calling. I'll give Pinkham his due the defense was great but I'm not giving the coaches credit. As Bill Bellicheck has said, players win games, coaches lose games. We won because are players have guts and a ton of heart. And that's why I continue to watch!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 am

TheInsider wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:15 am From what I've heard it's more than game management it's program management. An OC would let Whip be more of a CEO. I think he focuses too much on being an OC and not enough on running a program.
The idea that program management is an issue seems to have pooped up by multiple posters in multiple threads, with no detail. It's easy to see the OC deficiencies,mbe cause they are on display. If anyone can shed light on programmatic issues that would be great. I get it if the information is not for public consumption as well.

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:42 am

Nice win yesterday for the program, the team played with confidence and they did all the things needed to win consistently, no turnovers on offense and forcing turnovers on defense.

Excellent day for the defense especially the db’s, this unit has greatly improved from the beginning of the season.

Logan Laurent god bless you, it’s nice to have confidence in our kicker.

Let’s get #5 on Dec.2

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:02 am

I don't care if BYU was 0-12.....BYU is still BYU!!!
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!