Game 8: vs App St.

Get ready for some MACtion
photoman
Senior

Re: Game 8: vs App St.

Post by photoman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:30 pm

Unbelievable win! and almost inexplicable how the placekicking game has turned around. My head was pounding at the end of the fourth and through the OT's. Had to grab some Advil, but SOOO worth it!

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:36 pm

lots of credit to go around, but to think the FG team came through twice, is really sweet.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

tom mclaughlin
Junior

Post by tom mclaughlin » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:38 pm

Congratulations to the entire UMass team, staff, band and football fans. Great effort and gritty win. Kudos to the Field Goal kicker for making 2 great kicks. So happy for those kids and the entire UMass community. Makes you proud to be a UMass Alum. Way to hang in there and get the job done. Great effort and you can be proud of hanging in their against a good football team and program.
So happy for those kids!!!

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:41 pm

Great to log in and see that we won. Hockey team fell behind 2-0 at Merrimack, but came back to tie it at the end of 1. 2-2!
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:55 pm

And while I wasn't loving the grey uniforms, we now have no choice. Grey it is!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:57 pm

This team really deserved this win.. well done!!

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:14 pm

m626t wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:36 pm lots of credit to go around, but to think the FG team came through twice, is really sweet.
We got the FG's because we got our regular FG kicker back from being injured. Maybe would have won a game or two if he was healthy at the start of the season.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:21 pm

Announced attendance was 11,889. Not that much considering it was band day.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:23 pm

Berkman wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:21 pm Announced attendance was 11,889. Not that much considering it was band day.
It took 5+ years to drive away the fans and it may take that long to bring them back. If that was the "announced" it looked way LESS than that on tv.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:06 pm

That was such a fun ending. So great to get that win. Loved it. Great day in Amherst!
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:14 pm

tom mclaughlin wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:38 pm Congratulations to the entire UMass team, staff, band and football fans. Great effort and gritty win. Kudos to the Field Goal kicker for making 2 great kicks. So happy for those kids and the entire UMass community. Makes you proud to be a UMass Alum. Way to hang in there and get the job done. Great effort and you can be proud of hanging in their against a good football team and program.
So happy for those kids!!!
Logan Laurent is his name....

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:36 pm

Great win. I never, never, never thought I would see a game where our field goal kicker made a 45 yarder to tie the game at the end of regulation and then made a field goal in OT to win the game. It wasn't that long ago that extra points were an adventure.
Logan, welcome back to good health.

Rolling Ridge
Junior

Post by Rolling Ridge » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:00 pm

Just got back to Quincy after the game. I am literally stunned they won this game.

Very happy for Laurent, but for me the credit for this win is on the shoulders of the defense, and Ali Ali-Musa in particular, who was a beast all game and forced that fumble in OT. What pleases me the most, and I even felt this way when I was utterly certain they were going to lose, is that the defense clearly came in with a game plan, and largely executed it. Nothing is perfect with this team, but they did a great job stuffing that run, even when A.S. was starting to wear them out in the 4th quarter after our offense did nothing for practically the entire second half. This is what I want to see from UMass at this stage, and I feel like for the first time this season I saw it against a team that was a fair competitive measure.

In other areas, I'm not as optimistic, despite the win. Penalties still hurt us badly, and we lack discipline. Retaliating on that late hit was utterly stupid, and it cost us. Holding, false starts, etc. continue to cost us. This has to change, but it has been an issue since the move up. What's it going to take?

Offensive play calling continues to boggle my mind. It's like they have no attenuation to the situation. Way too conservative at times (Hawaii, for example) and then trick plays when they aren't necessary. Running a pass on 3rd and 1 with no one in the backfield. But for the hit on Ford, it would have been a pick 6. I really would have preferred them just give the ball to Ally and let fate take its course. That's where we're at right now, why complicate things?

I was actually pleased that they stuck with a basic running attack with Comis' added run threat in the 3rd and 4th. Yeah, it was anemic for most of that time, but in the end it was this approach that prevailed. For once, they coached to the strengths of the players on the field. If they lost doing that, I'd actually be OK with it, because at least they look like a team with a direction.

A.S. has to be utterly kicking themselves letting this one slip away. I'm not sure if they are generally better than UMass, but I didn't feel they were that much better today, and it was only our own self-inflicted wounds that kept us from winning the game in regulation... even with the loss of Ford. Whipple has recruited a bunch of quality character players who don't quit, and they deserve a ton of credit for sticking with it today. I don't think our coaching has gotten the most out of these guys this season. I see some glimmers on defense, but lots of the same problems exist on offense, special teams, and generally.

Happy for the win, but we still have a long way to go.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:46 pm

The question becomes- will the App. State coach get fired?

Did I see shades of the Kevin Morris half back pass in the game? That never works!

rayers
Senior

Post by rayers » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:16 am

As a fan and alum, I could not be prouder of our men and their efforts. We have an incredible group of young men who have persisted and prevailed through extremely tough times and broke through in a very big way the last two weeks and especially today. Success in life is mostly determined by attitude and the ability to handle adversity. I have no doubt that within the core group of UMass there are many young men developing into leaders for the next 60+years. I know that when they speak I will definitely listen! Same goes for the coaching staff who deserve much much more credit. Coaching staff deserves extension given the improvements of the team over the last 2 years. Great job UMass! Get better every day,