Game 6: vs Ohio

Get ready for some MACtion
Scott O
Senior

Re: Game 6: vs Ohio

Post by Scott O » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:22 pm

Our bowl hopes are slipping away.
Retarded artistically. Idiotic in other respects.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Scott O wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:22 pm Our bowl hopes are slipping away.
Post of the year

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:52 pm

78 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:23 pm

I am sure UMass will say more, but my guess is 500 - 1,000 students were for start of game. They like almost everyone else is long gone. My guess at total attendance is 7,000. There was a good crowd at student tailgate, but most left before the game.
Thanks.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:35 am

On too Ga Southern.. I actually think they are in worse shape than we are.

photoman
Senior

Post by photoman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:41 am

Somewhere out there is a used car salesman who's probably chuckling just a bit.

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:53 am

^^ There is absolutely NO program in more dire straights than UMass. It's the program no one in their right mind will want to join. It is actually in worse shape than when Morris and Molnar left . . call it a curse, snake bitten or whatever . . we are the laughing stock in College football ... BAR NONE!

Cahoonaville
Senior

Post by Cahoonaville » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:32 am

UMass football right now is like a fire that can't be put out.....Start the reset button Bamford immediately!!
Alex Guerrero, my HERO!!!!

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:46 am

Cahoonaville wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:32 am UMass football right now is like a fire that can't be put out.....Start the reset button Bamford immediately!!
Whipple should be gone by the end of the day. He won't be. They still see a chance to win 3 games against awful opponents. Have to wonder how many will show up for Georgia Southern. Moving up to FBS when it did is turning out to be one of the worst moves in the history of UMass. 10-56!
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:38 am

78 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:46 am
Cahoonaville wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:32 am UMass football right now is like a fire that can't be put out.....Start the reset button Bamford immediately!!
Whipple should be gone by the end of the day. He won't be. They still see a chance to win 3 games against awful opponents. Have to wonder how many will show up for Georgia Southern. Moving up to FBS when it did is turning out to be one of the worst moves in the history of UMass. 10-56!
Timing was wrong for sure, but not moving up would have been the death knell of the program. Whipple has done nothing to save his job, but firing him now serves no purpose, even though I think I it is deserved. Back to timing. If they fire him now, it puts far too much in limbo-recruiting, hiring a new coach, etc. It’s not like we are a top destination job. Anyone we are going to hire is hopefully going to be working in to January. If we were a place like Tennessee, who might fire their coach, then yes in season, might work, because there will be a line of guys trying to get that job.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:35 pm

LS71 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:13 am
SignMan wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:22 am
LS71 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:39 am ^^Yom Kippur and the fast that goes along with it begin at sunset Friday, and ends at sunset Saturday.

It's the most solemn date on the Jewish calendar. The fact that it falls on the Sabbath makes it an even more significant event. Observant Jews will attend services on Friday night and will also be in synagogue most of the day on Saturday.

^ Insensitive scheduling to say the least.
I emailed the following to the Chancellor, A.D. and UM Rabbi Aaron Fine...

Gentlemen…

As you are all aware, the UM Athletics HOF Induction Ceremony will be held this evening at 6:00 PM, coincidental with the time the Yom Kippur Kol Nidrei service will be held in this general area.

This is not the first time the HOF event has been held on the High Holidays.

I am not here to place blame on anyone, but to urge all of you to meet to take this into perspective. Our great Public Institution needs to establish a University Policy re: scheduling such events at the holiest of times, in consideration of all faiths.

I regret not being able to attend this year’s HOF event, at which a former teammate of mine, Tim Edwards, will be inducted. I am not the only one who will be absent for this reason.

Sincerely,
Thanks for posting this, SM. Please let us know if you get a reply.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year to you and yours! 8)
--------------------

I received the following reply from Ryan Bamford, two hours after I sent him my email on Friday...
I consider this a quality response... on behalf of everyone.

"Dear Ed,

Thank you for your email regarding our Hall of Fame Dinner this evening. I want to personally apologize for the oversight we made as a department. We should have been more thoughtful to avoid this date in celebrating our honorees and inviting our distinguished guests back to campus. In short, I am truly sorry for compromising your ability to attend this year’s dinner that we are always proud to host and celebrate within the UMass Athletics family.

Ed, please know UMass Athletics strives to achieve an inclusive environment and experience for everyone. I hope this this year’s conflict will not deter you from attending future events on campus. In college athletics, we struggle to schedule games around holidays for all faiths because of when they fall on the calendar (Jewish, Christian and others), however we certainly could have chosen another football weekend to hold our Hall of Fame activities.

Again, I express my sincere apologies for scheduling this special event on such an important holiday. I promise we will do better in the future to ensure we are fully inclusive with our events.

Thank you,
Ryan"
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

Franklin Fanatic
Freshman

Post by Franklin Fanatic » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:25 am

78 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:13 pm There goes that “the defense has really solidified” story line. When I left with 13 minutes to go, there was probably 700 people in the stands. It really is a sad and pathetic situation. Whipple should be fired tomorrow.
I left with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd. I couldn't take it anymore. Whipple should've been fired Sunday morning .

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:52 am

If we're looking for patterns, Bamford basically stopped posting about MBB before DK was fired and this weekend he had essentially no football related posts (outside of a retweet of Subbaswamy) leading up to and during this game. Just odd to be so quiet about the biggest budget sport during a home game.

I can see how firing Whipple mid-season doesn't really accomplish a lot but the optics could end up being worse if they went 0-12 and didn't do anything until after the season. At least if he's fired during the byes they can show that they're trying to take it seriously and aren't going to accept such abysmal results.

Jack
Senior

Post by Jack » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:37 pm

Tough loss but an entertaining game. Ohio is a good team and UMass should have won the game but for a few mistakes. Ohio scored 10 points off of UM offensive mistakes / turnovers and a 7 off UM special teams error. Still the team has improved greatly and we just need to get a few guys healthy and put it all together - which I think will happen in 2 weeks.

The negative nellies on here are absurd. Whipple has had very good recruiting and he is building a very solid program that is steadily improving. Literally only a moron would advocate terminating the Coach during the season. Fire the Coach is such a classic dumb fan reaction and in this case it demonstrates an incredibly warped perspective.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:21 pm

kdogg8173 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:52 am If we're looking for patterns, Bamford basically stopped posting about MBB before DK was fired and this weekend he had essentially no football related posts (outside of a retweet of Subbaswamy) leading up to and during this game. Just odd to be so quiet about the biggest budget sport during a home game.
The McCutcheoning has begun. Begin to watch his tweeting habits and public appearance at home games. How visible is he, online and in the stadium? With Micheletto and DK, he started reducing his appearances on both fronts. Hockey/bball tweets started dwindling, his open sightings in the arena were fewer and fewer. Of course he was in his office or behind the scenes, but not too visible to subject himself to the jeers from the angry faithful.

bottom line
Sophomore

Post by bottom line » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:58 pm

I was at the game Saturday and had a nice chat with the AD outside the Commonwealth Club tent. He was there greeting fans. Please stop spreading this crap about a "disappearing act". UMass is lucky to have Ryan Bamford.