Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Get ready for some MACtion
Franklin Fanatic
Freshman

Re: Game 1 (2017) Hawaii

Post by Franklin Fanatic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:22 pm

Berkman wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:24 pm Very disappointing game that we should have won. Lousy fumble on the punt and poor coaching in trying to run out the clock when we were still ahead. Why did we not have three or four players around the 10 yard line to protect from the long pass and run.
Whipple put a true Freshman, Britt, in a really tough situation. Whipple should've had Rodgers back to fair catch the ball. He said Rodgers was too tired! What a croc of shit. If Britt, playing in his first collegiate game, is our best option to fair catch a punt deep in our own end in the 4th quarter, then Whipple needs to do a better job recruiting.

Franklin Fanatic
Freshman

Post by Franklin Fanatic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:27 pm

Sheck wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:01 pm
NilesGold wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:40 am
Marshmont_63 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:31 pm The most preventable problem tonight was the coaching decision with four or five minutes left in the game. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. YOU DON'T PLAY NOT TO LOSE. I get that they wanted to run time off the clock, but you knew exactly what was going to happen when they fully committed to that strategy. Honestly, Whipple needs to be fired. I know most people don't want to hear that, but this team has shown absolutely no ability to win close (one possession) games. The play-calling is infuriating. Overall, it's just a massive letdown every game. Every year, I deceive myself by thinking something is going to change. And in 5 years, nothing has changed.
The current situation feels a lot like the situation basketball was in last year.

Whipple has to go or you might as well just shut the whole damn football program down if this is truly the best we can hope for.
Feels like it's Whip or bust. Can't see anyone better being interested in coming here. No conference affiliation, worst stadium situation in FBS, and low pay compared to other FBS programs. Just don't see much hope for the future at this point.
Whip or bust???? I'm glad you're not the AD! That's a loser mentality if ever there was one. You could've said the same thing about hockey and women's basketball. You can see what a difference a quality coaching staff makes to the talent level and culture.

Whipple needs to go, as soon as possible.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:31 pm

Bay Area UMie wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 am
MikeEsq wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:49 pm
ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:14 pm Whip looks glazed over, just like Molnar and Morris did. Someone talk to the AD and get him to shake Whip up. Whip was innovative a couple years ago but now he sucks. SPECIAL TEAMS IS KILLING US!!!! How many games are we going to lose in the last minute????? Remember Temple??? I'm tired of having these middling f-ing teams come into our place and waltz out with wins, after traveling 1,000's of miles. Someone get pissed off and tell Whipple he either wins this year or he is gone.
"Glazed over" is the perfect description. I think Whipple's state pension vests after this season, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a firing or mutual parting of the ways at that point.
Talk about rampant, irresponsible speculation-we are one game into the season and you toss this baseless rubbish out there about a first-class guy who is giving his all trying to build a FBS program literally from the ground up and you suggest that a resignation or firing is imminent at year’s end? On what grounds do you make the farcical assertion that “UMass players haven't been coached on mental toughness”-do you have inside sources or are your comments from a faraway observer hiding behind his (or her) laptop? Maybe someone on the board can arrange for you to meet with some of the players so you can voice your concern about the absence of “mental toughness” on the field. What credentials do you have to question the competence (“the game has passed him by”) of a guy that played collegiately, has won as a HC at numerous institutions and was instrumental in the development of a current NFL QB who has won two super bowl rings? Just curious, did you yourself ever strap on the pads in high school (or perhaps you played collegiately since you speak so authoritatively about college football) and display that “mental toughness” on the field that you claim the team lacks? My sense you as well as several others on this board who are incessant critics never played the game competitively at any level but collectively you sprint to the keyboard to express negative bravado and empty cliches about the player’s and coaching staff. This team needs and deserves our support at this point in the season. The current wave of extreme criticism over the Hawaii loss (yes, we should have won) and the irresponsible speculation about coaches resigning or getting fired or as a complete moron eloquently posted “the coach doesn’t give a shit” can only serve as a detriment to the program’s success this year.

Lighten Up Francis......

While I agree that looking for Whips head on day 2 may be a little premature -- questioning his (the) game management is completely up for discussion. This is akin to our [former] beloved basketball coach. In short, how many times does Whip have to fuck up late game management for it to be his fault rather than a just a mistake (which he should be learning from BTW)?

That press conference was a little depressing. Nobody is saying he should be standing on his head an chewing out every player at the top of his lungs, but he was almost emotionless up there. As I saw in some other post, he did not look like he wanted to be there at that moment - I don't think I would be ecstatic to be there either under the circumstances, but he looked like he got his legs taken out from under him for sure at that moment.

I hope the team rebounds from this, they certainly have a winnable game this week and should be able the look somewhat competent on defense this week as well. If they do throw up another boner however; University Drive will run red with Whips blood and you can get as pissey as you want about it, that will not stop the lynch mob.

Franklin Fanatic
Freshman

Post by Franklin Fanatic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:50 pm

stevemaz wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:41 am Hey I could be wrong on this, but I suspect Hawaii is going to be an 8-9 win team this year so no shame in losing a hard fought close game. On to CC where I think we are going to lay a surprising beat down on them after the first quarter.

Again, my seats are on the 50 behind the UMass bench. Not that I like talking about men's butts, but it is noticeable that our guys are solidly built with the kind of asses you need to compete at this level. We are going to be fine this year with only one game where I give us very little chance of winning (Tennessee).
You're wrong on this. Hawaii isn't going to win 8 or 9 games.

As for little chance of winning - USF, Tennessee, Miss State, BYU will all be lopsided games.

Franklin Fanatic
Freshman

Post by Franklin Fanatic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:54 pm

eldonabe wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:59 am
stevemaz wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:41 am Hey I could be wrong on this, but I suspect Hawaii is going to be an 8-9 win team this year so no shame in losing a hard fought close game. On to CC where I think we are going to lay a surprising beat down on them after the first quarter.

Again, my seats are on the 50 behind the UMass bench. Not that I like talking about men's butts, but it is noticeable that our guys are solidly built with the kind of asses you need to compete at this level. We are going to be fine this year with only one game where I give us very little chance of winning (Tennessee).

BULLSHIT - They had the game won and UMass lost it (Hawaii did not win it) - that is shameful.
Eldonabe, the voice of reason on UMassHoops.com!!

Who gives a shit if our guys are solidly built. Only Rodgers can cover anyone, and our O-line can't open holes for Young or give Ford enough time to throw. How many times did Ford have to leave the pocket to escape pressure? Too many. Do you think our genius head coach could call a draw play or a screen pass to slow down their D-line? Nope. Shameful indeed.

Franklin Fanatic
Freshman

Post by Franklin Fanatic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:04 pm

Not Trigger wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:35 am Loss is on Whipple, pure and simple. Hawaii couldn't stop the UMass passing game (particularly Breneman), the UMass D couldn't stop any part of Hawaii's offense. Hawaii kicks a field goal to cut lead to four. Everyone in the stadium knew that either with a score or ending the game with the ball, UMass loses that game. So Whipple decides the first two downs to run the ball up the middle. I can't remember one time the whole game that UMass gained any significant yardage on that play. First down, a questionable call, second down inexcusable. On third down, for some crazy reason Breneman was not even on the field (unless I totally missed him). He was for the final series of the game, so it couldn't have been an injury. Such a big game for the program and such a poor job of turning a W into a L.
Exactly. On our second to last drive, when we had the ball and a 4 point lead, you mean to tell me our offensive genius of a head coach couldn't call a couple of safe pass plays to Breneman to move the sticks. They couldn't cover him. Awful play calling. Trying not to lose and instead of letting your best unit try and win the game, he hands it over to a defense that has been on the filed a long time, especially in the 4th quarter. Speaking of the defense, Whip says the Hawaii WR was like Jerry Rice. Hey coach, either put your best player (Rodgers) on him, or double team him and make someone else beat us. What does Belichick always do? Take away the thing you do best. Whipple, he allows that guy to have 12 catches for 272 yards and 2 TD's. Genius!!

Trigger's right, we did not run the ball well between the tackles. Our best runs were outside the tackles. So now, game's on the line, let's run two straight dives up the middle for -2 yards. Time for a change.

Franklin Fanatic
Freshman

Post by Franklin Fanatic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:18 pm

MJatUM wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:55 am
69MG wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:29 am If these end of game disasters continue to happen I think this is Whip's last year. We have enough talent (barely enough) to win these games and the CC game is now a must win.
No doubt. Bamford has shown he doesn't really care to much about a coach's history with the school. If he thinks he can get a better fit into the position he will can your ass. Not to mention Whip isn't one of his hires.

Whip's seat was already pretty warm coming into the season and now the seat warmer has been cranked to the max. I'm hesitant to damn the guy and the team for one game of the season - but it is so fucking depressing that this team under Whip has more total losses that they flat out gave away than total wins.
Let's review those give away losses, shall we? In 2014, we blow double digit, 2nd half leads vs Colorado and Vandy (in back to back weeks). We blow a 41-14 lead at Miami (OH) (that game took years off my life). In 2015, we somehow blow the Temple game. We lose close games to two shitty teams - Kent State and Miami (both in Amherst), and then we blow a 28-10 lead against Toledo. Against Toledo, Froh throws a pick in the end zone right before the half. Forces it into Sharpe into double coverage, even though Elgin Long is uncovered at the line of scrimmage. Froh throws another red zone pick in the loss at Ball State. And then last year, we blow a 14 point lead at home vs Tulane.

That's 8 games where we grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory. We've won 8 games since Whipple has returned.....

Franklin Fanatic
Freshman

Post by Franklin Fanatic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:26 pm

MikeEsq wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:09 am Everything here has been said, but put me in the category that the game has passed Whipple by. Depressing to read the comments after the game. The players seemed torn up, and Whipple made it sound like he just had finished a sub-par round of golf. I can't stand the lack of attention to special teams, the non-existent defense, the poor play-calling on both sides, and players that haven't been coached on mental toughness. I will tune in when possible this year, but I really believe a change is needed at this point.
Spot on, Mike! His press conferences are hilarious. Someone asked about Laurent's punt (that 20 yarder from deep in our own end). His response was that Laurent is hurt. Well shit, don't play him then!! That beauty lead to an easy score. So did the muffed punt (again, not Britt's fault. I blame Whipple for putting him in that spot late in the game during his first college game). After the Rodger's pick, I was thinking how great it would be if we got a TD to take advantage of that great play. Nope. End around to Dingle for a 5 yard loss, but there's a holding call, so 1st and 20. Ally runs up the middle for no gain. 2nd and 20 - Ford to Breneman for 9 yards. 3rd and 11 - Sack. Punt.

Franklin Fanatic
Freshman

Post by Franklin Fanatic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:33 pm

MJatUM wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:02 am
Nice to see you join board, Coach Whipple.
Perfect!! :D

Franklin Fanatic
Freshman

Post by Franklin Fanatic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:38 pm

ZooMass84 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:14 pm Whip looks glazed over, just like Molnar and Morris did. Someone talk to the AD and get him to shake Whip up. Whip was innovative a couple years ago but now he sucks. SPECIAL TEAMS IS KILLING US!!!! How many games are we going to lose in the last minute????? Remember Temple??? I'm tired of having these middling f-ing teams come into our place and waltz out with wins, after traveling 1,000's of miles. Someone get pissed off and tell Whipple he either wins this year or he is gone.
"Glazed over" is the perfect description. I think Whipple's state pension vests after this season, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a firing or mutual parting of the ways at that point.
Talk about rampant, irresponsible speculation-we are one game into the season and you toss this baseless rubbish out there about a first-class guy who is giving his all trying to build a FBS program literally from the ground up and you suggest that a resignation or firing is imminent at year’s end? On what grounds do you make the farcical assertion that “UMass players haven't been coached on mental toughness”-do you have inside sources or are your comments from a faraway observer hiding behind his (or her) laptop? Maybe someone on the board can arrange for you to meet with some of the players so you can voice your concern about the absence of “mental toughness” on the field. What credentials do you have to question the competence (“the game has passed him by”) of a guy that played collegiately, has won as a HC at numerous institutions and was instrumental in the development of a current NFL QB who has won two super bowl rings? Just curious, did you yourself ever strap on the pads in high school (or perhaps you played collegiately since you speak so authoritatively about college football) and display that “mental toughness” on the field that you claim the team lacks? My sense you as well as several others on this board who are incessant critics never played the game competitively at any level but collectively you sprint to the keyboard to express negative bravado and empty cliches about the player’s and coaching staff. This team needs and deserves our support at this point in the season. The current wave of extreme criticism over the Hawaii loss (yes, we should have won) and the irresponsible speculation about coaches resigning or getting fired or as a complete moron eloquently posted “the coach doesn’t give a shit” can only serve as a detriment to the program’s success this year.
It's not just one loss, Mike. It's the same shit year after year and game after game. Special teams, O-line, defense, play calling, stupid momentum killing or drive killing penalties. We consistently shoot ourselves in the foot, and that falls on the Head Coach.

On the plus side, at least we have a kicker that makes extra points. They even looked good - high and straight.

MikeEsq
Senior

Post by MikeEsq » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:33 pm

I feel like I need to respond. Nobody is saying Whipple is not a first-class human being. I just question his ability and his comportment at this stage of his career. If you think these football players are mentally tough, I think you're the one who has never strapped on pads or suited up. Someone earlier in this thread chronicled about eight games the Minutemen just GAVE AWAY over the past few years. And it was everything - awful kicking, turnovers, poor special teams, porous defense, offenses that were cruising and suddenly spit the bit, etc. My credentials? As a UMass fan, I was introduced to Jim Reid's style of coaching, so I've seen toughness and making more out of less on that field. As a neutral observer, I was a professional sportswriter for 13 years (16 if you include my time at the Collegian), covering everything from high school football to the Super Bowl. So by now, I know a bad team and a past-his-prime coach when I see one. And it doesn't take me a full season (or four full seasons) to figure it out.

Puffton395
Sophomore

Post by Puffton395 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:35 pm

Franklin Fanatic wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:26 pm
MikeEsq wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:09 am Everything here has been said, but put me in the category that the game has passed Whipple by. Depressing to read the comments after the game. The players seemed torn up, and Whipple made it sound like he just had finished a sub-par round of golf. I can't stand the lack of attention to special teams, the non-existent defense, the poor play-calling on both sides, and players that haven't been coached on mental toughness. I will tune in when possible this year, but I really believe a change is needed at this point.
Spot on, Mike! His press conferences are hilarious. Someone asked about Laurent's punt (that 20 yarder from deep in our own end). His response was that Laurent is hurt. Well shit, don't play him then!! That beauty lead to an easy score. So did the muffed punt (again, not Britt's fault. I blame Whipple for putting him in that spot late in the game during his first college game). After the Rodger's pick, I was thinking how great it would be if we got a TD to take advantage of that great play. Nope. End around to Dingle for a 5 yard loss, but there's a holding call, so 1st and 20. Ally runs up the middle for no gain. 2nd and 20 - Ford to Breneman for 9 yards. 3rd and 11 - Sack. Punt.
It's Whipps fault for placing Britt out there in that situation, but, Britt has to make the play. He has blame in the play just as much as the guy who put him there. It's not like it was DaVone Hall out there catching the ball.
UMass '10 but I run with the '06 class

Franklin Fanatic
Freshman

Post by Franklin Fanatic » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:42 pm

It's Whips job to put the best person back there to field a punt deep in our own end. Yes, it would've been nice if Britt made the play, but he shouldn't have been back there in the first place.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:32 pm

NilesGold wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:17 am
eldonabe wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:58 am
I can't say if Brown was interested in coming to UMass, but per multiple reports such as the one below, he was a candidate. It makes far too much sense that possibly the worst AD in UMass' history picked Whipple over Brown... the same AD who did more harm than you'd think possible in the roughly 10 years he was here.
http://mobile.gazettenet.com/Archives/2 ... -hg-011014

This is season #4 for Whipple and season #6 for UMass in FBS and ultimately, I'm left with two possibilities.

#1 - Whipple can't get the job done at UMass. We could get into specifics, but whether it's his recruiting, his play-calling, he hasn't hired the right assistants, etc etc, the specifics don't really matter, he's simply not getting the job done, and UMass needs to hire someone who can.
#2 - FBS football cannot work at UMass. Whatever the reason, be it location, fan support, funding, etc etc, it doesn't work now and it never will. The program should be shuttered and resources should be diverted to other areas.

I'm leaning strongly towards #1. Sure, UMass has a lot working against it and it probably won't win an FBS title in my lifetime, or perhaps ever, or be an FBS power, but I don't think there's any reason UMass can't be a respectable FBS program. Yeah, the program is better off now than it was under Molnar, but so what, it's still the laughinstock of FBS, picked in the bottom 10, if not the absolute worst, of FBS programs by pundits. They're about to play a team in it's first FBS game and last I heard UMass isn't even favored to win.
#2 is the answer, my view. New England is about professional sports, and there is little/no evidence to the contrary.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:36 pm

[/quote

Dude, how about creating some paragraphs? If you are a UMASS grad, I am embarrassed at your poor sentence structure.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...