Football Broadcasting/Distribution

Get ready for some MACtion
Swampy
Hall of Fame

Re: Football Broadcasting/Distribution

Post by Swampy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:44 am

^ I agree but success doesn't automatically result in spinning turnstiles for UMass. The last time they went to a bowl game they played in front of a 2016 Mullins size crowd in AC. Of course most of the bandwagonjumpers-r-us-ers weren't even born when that game was played so things might be different with sports being so popular today. Boardwalk or Bust!!! :lol:

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:10 am

I don't care which way they do it, free or fee just do something so I can watch the games. Not likely to drive from NC to Amherst to a game. Will go to local games within a 2 hour drive .

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:13 am

Swampy wrote:^ I agree but success doesn't automatically result in spinning turnstiles for UMass. The last time they went to a bowl game they played in front of a 2016 Mullins size crowd in AC. Of course most of the bandwagonjumpers-r-us-ers weren't even born when that game was played so things might be different with sports being so popular today. Boardwalk or Bust!!! :lol:

True, but you have been around long enough to know that fair-weather fans are everywhere - not just in Amherst - it just seems to be a little more magnified here. When it is bad - it seems really bad (attendance) so the bar is pretty low for a "big jump" to be noticed.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Swampy wrote:^ I agree but success doesn't automatically result in spinning turnstiles for UMass. The last time they went to a bowl game they played in front of a 2016 Mullins size crowd in AC. Of course most of the bandwagonjumpers-r-us-ers weren't even born when that game was played so things might be different with sports being so popular today. Boardwalk or Bust!!! :lol:
Swampy, are talking the Mullins size crowd, 2.5k that showed up for Senior day the last day of the A10 regular season? lol

Football gets 14.5k with a poor winning team, today they be in the 20's range for a winning team at home.
Go UMass!!

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:07 pm

Steve, I was talking specifically about the crowd that traveled and showed up in AC for their last bowl game not about their current rabid fan base. :o

tdmass
Senior

Post by tdmass » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Steve, do you think we'll get 14.5k for Hawaii? I'd consider that a good crowd.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:37 pm

tdmass wrote:Steve, do you think we'll get 14.5k for Hawaii? I'd consider that a good crowd.
14.5K with few students on campus would be extraordinary. I doubt it will be that high (again, I hope I'm wrong), but it'll certainly be more than the 1-2K attendance that someone on this board loves to claim.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:42 pm

I would think that we could draw 10,000. A lot of people are anxious for some FB and could be looking for a game to go to that night.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:48 pm

Berkman wrote:I would think that we could draw 10,000. A lot of people are anxious for some FB and could be looking for a game to go to that night.
Without students around yet - 10K would be a real solid number. If they can win that one, they might be able to get to 15K with a good number of students when they get back as well??? Anything more than that would be gravy - I don't think the bathrooms could take it :twisted: !

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:05 pm

Was thinking about 11k so say 9-13k. Hope it's a very nice day (-: and not in the 90's for tailgating.
Go UMass!!

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:10 pm

eldonabe wrote:
Berkman wrote:I would think that we could draw 10,000. A lot of people are anxious for some FB and could be looking for a game to go to that night.
Without students around yet - 10K would be a real solid number. If they can win that one, they might be able to get to 15K with a good number of students when they get back as well??? Anything more than that would be gravy - I don't think the bathrooms could take it :twisted: !

It’s youth football day. My guess is the youth football fans will fill up what would be filled by students, and then some. When we brought youth football players and families to a game at Gillette four years ago we brought 200 with us. My guess is each local youth organization will bring about 100-125 to McGuirk. So, depending on how many have been invited.... If AP’s twitter info is on target, we have a lot more STH this year. With Hawaii traveling so far, my guess is the visitors side will have a section to a section and a half of visiting fans. There are band parents over there as well, so maybe 4- 4 and a half sections on visitor side. Hopefully home side is full. That would get us near 13-13.5K. 6PM start time could help bring out locals who have nothing better to do on the last Saturday of summer, too.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:16 pm

Swampy wrote:Steve, I was talking specifically about the crowd that traveled and showed up in AC for their last bowl game not about their current rabid fan base. :o
You specific '^' reference was to comparing winning some games, which would increase home attendance Then for some Signman like reason compared it to a one off bowl game in the mid 70s.
Go UMass!!

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Didn't they play on a shortened field since the game was played indoors? So I would say yes, things have changed a bit since then...
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:54 pm

^ Yes. The end zone was smaller ( 8 yards). Also had a stage at one end....UM played in the second to last Boardwalk Bowl.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:33 am

"for some Signman like reason"

8 Miles High
and when you TOUCHDOWN!
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!