KAEO: Keon Clergeot (Memphis Transfer)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
TheOFFSeason
Senior

Re: KAEO: Keon Clergeot (Memphis Transfer)

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:00 am

69MG wrote:This is a great topic and fun to think about. I wonder if Keon has an opinion? :)
In the little I saw yesterday Keon looked good. Shot the ball well...he also thought Padilla was underated

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:07 pm

eldonabe wrote:
KahunaK wrote:
capezona wrote:Padilla could anticipate an opponents moves so quickly that it seemed like he was reading their minds. Very quick hands. As a senior CLowe had to adjust to the first year Kellogg dribble drive fiasco and it drove him crazy.
The reason Padilla and Travieso could be so aggressive on defense was if they ever got beat, Camby would block the shot of anyone that got past them. Camby was a once in a lifetime player. No guards wanted to drive the paint when he was there. Without that type of shot blocker, the guards could never have been able to apply the pressure they did.

While that is a very true statement, neither of them got beat that often.
I was about to say the same thing. But let's remember , Camelo used to hear a lot from Cal about not playing D early in his career, and he really turned it up and became a very good defender. I agree with OFFSEASON re: Edgar being the best all around pg, kid could do it all well and was extremely consistent which goes a long way. Cal got these guys to believe water can burn so they took their games to another level. That's good coaching as well. Unfortunately I thought CLowe got stripped of his best assets his senior year and the DD offense took away his speed and quickness.
Time to Win

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:32 pm

Edgar

Chaz

Lowe

All three excellent. But in my opinion it's that hard to rank them. All three were good fits for the rosters they played with.

kdogg8173
Senior

Post by kdogg8173 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:59 am

uz2b-len wrote: But Edgar had a decent outside shot. Big difference there.
Not picking on you Len specifically, you were just the latest to note Edgar's shooting. He was actually a pretty below average shooter. 39 and 32% for his career. Good pg and incredible defender but I think like most good players, he gets overrated as time goes by.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:31 am

^
I see it the opposite, as time goes by Camby, Roe etc get remembered, as they should, but Edgar gets compared to Lowe and Chaz. EP and CT were considered in the top 5 backcourts in the country...if not the best. Neither of those other guys would ever be considered on that level.
Shooting % doesn't tell the whole story when it comes to shooting ability...Edgar could shoot and other teams were well aware.

Jackson96
Hall of Fame

Post by Jackson96 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:47 am

I think Edgar was very good for those great teams and I think Chaz was very good for his teams. They just did different things and I don't think either of them could do what was asked of the other -- and am glad they weren't asked to -- that would take away from what they did well.

If you are a team that needs scoring, you would want Chaz. If you are a team that wants someone to run the club and play great defense, you would want Edgar. Obviously Edgar's teams had more success against better opponents but his level of teammates/coaching was also obviously better.

All that said, I want Anton Brown (kidding, but not kidding. I have a weird Anton Brown fetish.)
"I wrote a column and it went national"

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:59 am

Edgar es el numero uno. Si.

Rudy
Junior

Post by Rudy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:29 pm

This planet is loaded with school yard style talent. There are a lot great scorers, shooters, showboat players. You hope they learn the rest. Edgar was a great defender from the start. Had a great motor and work ethic from the start. Great insticts. Developed leadership and shooting skills. Also got a lot longer and stronger over his four years. Was a very unique player and fun to watch grow.

Floridafan71
Sophomore

Post by Floridafan71 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Those three were all good players...Edgar was great for what he did for the team and how he performed with the oft number one team that final four year. Great career. Chaz was terrific running the team and carrying it without as much help as Edgar had. Those two I would pick over Lowe if I were rating them. All good. :P

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:05 pm

I liked Lowe but never winning any conference honors says something
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:02 pm

Yeah, I know it's all opinion and all that....but Lowe isn't really in the conversation for me. Liked him, very good player and godsend late in the recruiting game. But he doesn't sniff the other two in my opinion. Chaz obviously a special player in a lot of ways, and good fit for the rosters he was on. Same with Edgar. I'll take Edgar though. Scored when needed, distributed when needed, played fast if needed, ran a nice half court if needed. And the defense was exceptional.

I do agree though, with the idea that he couldn't do exactly what Chaz did. I just think Edgar
A much more complete player.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:10 pm

Does anyone know what the severity of Clergeot's knee injury is?

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 am

NilesGold wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:10 pm Does anyone know what the severity of Clergeot's knee injury is?
From what I saw at the UMass-Lowell game it looked bad. Keon had a knee brace on over his sweats and one of the trainers had to help him get from the bench to the locker room at halftime and help get back to the bench for the 2nd half. Granted it was less than 48 hours from when he got injured so it could be nothing going more than a sprain

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:07 pm

Keon is absolutely my favorite player on this team. He plays with 110% commitment and energy every second of the game. Earlier in the year he was somewhat out of control, but that is no longer the case. MM said on the radio post-game that Keon said he was ready to go in to the game. He said, "I can do everything but shoot." Haha. Actually, he made a pretty nice floater at one point. I noticed he dribbled mostly with his left hand. 7 assists and 0 turnovers. And terrific defense. I think a really good thing about the new starting line-up is that Keon and Unique provide really good defense on the perimeter.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:23 pm

Wood ran the offense in the first half of the St Joe's game and Clergeot mostly the second half. They were two different teams. Wood will be good someday but he has to play under more control. I feel confident in the team when Clergeot is running things.