KAEO: Keon Clergeot (Memphis Transfer)

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
JoleonLescottsHair
Hall of Fame

Re: KAEO: Keon Clergeot (Memphis Transfer)

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Mon May 15, 2017 3:14 pm

eldonabe wrote: My oh my how the wet blanket can get dropped when it serves the purpose...... So apparently it is NOT ok to be dismissive and negative when DK is of the concern when WE KNOW that things have and will continue to suck......

Now, however, it IS ok when there is a new (albeit) unknown sense of optimism because it is an unknown.
Yes, THIS exactly!

UMassHoops
Senior

Post by UMassHoops » Mon May 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Was all in on MM before this but it keeps getting better. One guy isn't a starter but is a captain on Maryland. Leadership. Another is described as in the gym working on his game all the time. Hard work. Now a recruit self describes as "having that dog" in hm. Tenacity. I feel this will be a group we will love as fans because they will be bringing it for UMass every practice and every game along with the guys who are staying and ready to to roll up their sleeves. A group that represents the ideals. Give us 1 more wing that can play next year and I bet MM wins several more games than DK did despite the defections and has us seriously competing in year 2.

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Mon May 15, 2017 5:34 pm

And they're gonna set the bar high for Kellogg's recruits that are sticking around. I feel that Holloway, Pipkins, and Baldwin are gonna love their style of play. Anderson, too. He won't be around to play with them but he'll get to practice with them. They're gonna make the team better this season by what they bring to practice. At least, I hope this will all come true.
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Mon May 15, 2017 6:39 pm

He seems like a great addition to the team. He was highly regarded out of high school and, unlike many other transfers we've heard about, after the year sitting out to develop, he should have a full 3 years ahead of him to make his mark at UMass.

stevemaz
Senior

Post by stevemaz » Tue May 16, 2017 6:17 am

Does anyone know how his name is pronounced?

gr8won
Junior

Post by gr8won » Tue May 16, 2017 6:53 am

^Not that they always get it correct but watched a video and announcer said (Claire-Joe) French. But we have heard announcers butcher it before like Kattie Lalanne or Mr. Pootney.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Tue May 16, 2017 7:35 am

^ Ahh, that makes sense. Matty V said his name rhymed with Jarreau.

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Tue May 16, 2017 7:38 am

Yes, clair-je-oh with the je sounding like she with a gee thrown in. That would be about right.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue May 16, 2017 8:18 am

The good news is that we have a year to figure it out! The bad news is that we have a year to figure it out :(

Roadtrip
Hall of Fame

Post by Roadtrip » Tue May 16, 2017 8:40 am

Oh, I'm sure it will get mangled a few times. Amazing that Vermont yankee can turn Cadieu (CAD-yo or CAD-eoh) into KED-JU. I will lose it the first time I hear it pronounced KLER-GEE-OT.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Tue May 16, 2017 8:56 am

LS71 wrote:
Matty V wrote:“The relationship I have with coach McCall and the coaching staff is unbelievable. Coach McCall has been recruiting me since I was in ninth grade. I was the first guy he offered within and hour of getting the job at Chattanooga,” Clergeot said. “I didn’t go and I kind of regretted it. Now I’m transferring and he’s there. UMass is the right fit. I have a great relationship with Matt McCall.”

He averaged 3.8 points in 9.9 minutes per game as a Tiger playing behind upperclassmen.

“I’ll bring defense. Being intense, physical. I play with heart out there. I have that dog in me,” said Clergeot, who planned to make the most of his year off. “Just getting stronger and getting better. I’ll be getting a lot of shots up.”
All UMass hoops fans should be happy to read these two statements. I'm looking forward to watching him and Pip play some lock down, in your face defense.

mlaconte459
Hall of Fame

Post by mlaconte459 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:32 am

Not sure if this has been posted before but it's worth the watch. Video of Keon in HS.

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/stat ... 2105313280
GO... GO U... GO UMASSS..... GO UMASSS

uz2b-len
Hall of Fame

Post by uz2b-len » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:04 am

Oh man I want to see lots of that!
"All credit to my teammates, all glory to God."-- Chaz Williams

capezona
Hall of Fame

Post by capezona » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:35 am

Love it! Reminds me of Chris Lowe who got an inbound pass while running full speed with 6 seconds left against Rhoddy. Instead of a gorgeous step-back 3, he drove across the lane for a six foot floater over three defenders. Can't wait to see Keon in action in '18.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:37 am

^

With a little help from his friend, of course.... :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHGBZpALM7g
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades