Senior

Re: Game 2 (2017) Coastal Carolina

Post by stevemaz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:26 am

2-0 after this one.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:46 pm

Sun Belt Predictions & UMass. Whoever wrote this is not high on Coastal Carolina.

https://kinsfourdownterritory.wordpress ... rediction/

Coastal Carolina

Key Players: WR Chris Jones, LB Shane Johnson, CB Anthony Chesley

If you think the quarterback carousel is crazy in the NFL than you probaly don’t know what the Chanticleers went through last year. Six quarterbacks were used, and they still managed a 10 win season. It will be much tougher sledding this year as a full time FBS member. They are also replacing three starting offensive lineman and have a small defensive front. At least on paper it looks like year one will be a long one for Coastal Carolina.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:39 pm

My brother walked on there when they were 1AA about 8 years ago, mostly practice squad stuff. They've got a good up and coming program with a lot of money behind it. The stadium is pretty sick and the campus has come a long way in the last ten years. As far as the actual team, I don't much about them. But a ten win team from 2016, even if they weren't a full time FBS member, is nothing to sleep on.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:11 pm

They are/were a MUCH better FCS team at the time of their move than we were.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:52 pm

We were 3 years removed from Don Brown's last year, which bookended his tenure with not making the playoffs, we probably had a shot at the playoffs if we had beaten Maine in 2008. Those three years saw us drop off for sure. Add in the debacle of Molnar who made the team worse than our FCS teams for at least one year possibly two. I think we are light years ahead of where we were when we lost to Maine, and that Maine team finished 10-3 in FCS. That Maine team is comparable to Coastal Carolina. So, while I am concerned, I am not worried.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Their coach is not Vince Lombardi. If he was so great, why did quit coaching and get a job? Their first year in FBS and they have 85 scholarship players? Sorry, we don't lose this one. Their endowment is less than 10% of ours......they're a community college

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:00 am

^ Let's put it this way. If they lose this game, it's going to be a very, very long season.

Calmass9
Junior

Post by Calmass9 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:18 am

gosox22 wrote:^ Let's put it this way. If they lose this game, it's going to be a very, very long season.
Bingo - Absolute must win game.

JBUMass2011
Sophomore

Post by JBUMass2011 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:22 pm

I've posted on twitter and 247 and surprisingly caught some heat for this but if we lose to coastal Carolina that's a complete joke. I'll go as far as to say football has no chance of surviving at this school if we can't win that game. You can say I'm going overboard but if we lose that game interest in the season will be in the ICU

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:25 am

JBUMass2011 wrote:I've posted on twitter and 247 and surprisingly caught some heat for this but if we lose to coastal Carolina that's a complete joke. I'll go as far as to say football has no chance of surviving at this school if we can't win that game. You can say I'm going overboard but if we lose that game interest in the season will be in the ICU
You are going overboard. As much as we hate to admit it we are still a bottom 10 team and we can lose to anyone on any given Saturday. Football will always survive if the school wants it to survive, no one is kicking us out of FBS. As long as the team is funded and in the budget then we'll have the team. The school and administration is 100% in for the long haul.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:34 am

njumass08 wrote:
JBUMass2011 wrote:I've posted on twitter and 247 and surprisingly caught some heat for this but if we lose to coastal Carolina that's a complete joke. I'll go as far as to say football has no chance of surviving at this school if we can't win that game. You can say I'm going overboard but if we lose that game interest in the season will be in the ICU
You are going overboard. As much as we hate to admit it we are still a bottom 10 team and we can lose to anyone on any given Saturday. Football will always survive if the school wants it to survive, no one is kicking us out of FBS. As long as the team is funded and in the budget then we'll have the team. The school and administration is 100% in for the long haul.
Completely agree NJ. Let's hope this season sees us move into the top 100. That would be a huge jump, but I think if the defense is improved as we think, the offense can get us there. 2018 is the year to move up for sure. Young and Ford as seniors with an OL made up of juniors and seniors who have played since freshmen. I am looking forward to this year, but really want to see what happens next year. Losing this game to CC is not going to derail that.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:25 am

We're not past the point where any game is a sure thing. Until we can consistently make extra freaking points (and field goals) there will never be a sure thing. There are games we should win, but I would not be surprised if we were Vegas favorites in maybe 2 games all season.

JBUMass2011
Sophomore

Post by JBUMass2011 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:01 pm

I agree with the FGs, XPs and nothing is a sure thing with umass. I never meant to drop the program. It was more of over exaggeration or sarcasm. If we can't beat coastal Carolina in the second game of a season assuming fairly rested and healthy then how are we going to fair against almost any Indy schedule. It would be a VERY BAD loss and another black mark against umass football and will add to the argument against umass football. The admin, AD president or whoever can only back this for so long. If we continue to have 2-3 win seasons for years to come in sure the haters outrage will grow and the globe articles will increase. Sure could we lose to CCU and beat App state at home still I guess. Could we lose to CCU and upset BYU, maybe. But losing to CCU would not be a good sign for anything.

Ron Burgundy
Senior

Post by Ron Burgundy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:05 pm

I've said this before, but this game really scares me. If anyone thinks we will just overwhelm them with ability your greatly mistaken. They've been a top FCS program for a long time and they certainly are t scared of us. I guarantee they view this game as one of the most winnable games on their schedule and would be huge win for the program being that it's their first in FBS. It's their opener and their coaches have had all offseason to prepare. In other words, they will throw things at us we will not be prepared for after having a look at what we've got from the Hawaii film. Our biggest advantage will be being able to work out the kinks in our first game.