New UMass coach Matt McCall

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Floyd
Hall of Fame

Re: New UMass coach Matt McCall

Post by Floyd » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:02 am

OffSeason, regarding your comment about southern guys having trouble coaching in the northeast, why do you think that is ? Is it a recruiting thing or something else? Serious question, like to hear your take
Time to Win

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:03 am

DoctorJ wrote: If this doesn't work. I want all you Fire-DK people to admit you blew it and start a Off With Bamford's Head website.
If McCall doesn't work it doesn't mean firing DK was the wrong thing to do. It was time.
Hire Matt McCall!

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:05 am

LS71 wrote:
TheOFFSeason wrote:...I think there is reason to feel good about this hire in that he was able to win 29 games his first year coaching-other guys players or not he was the one running practices, preparing game plans, making substitutions etc and therefore he won 29 games.
The other side of that coin is Kevin Ollie winning a national championship coaching another guy's players in his first year as a head coach. Fast forward to this season...he's on the hot seat after UConn had its first losing season in thirty years. Just sayin'...

I see what you are saying but UConn wasn't great in Ollie's first year, they went into the NCAA's as an 8 or 9 seed and should've lost to St Joe's in the first round(still can't believe Martelli blew that) and then caught lightning in a bottle with good match ups and a hot guard. I think Ollie has proven to be about the same coach as that since then...if he didn't have all the injuries this year he had a chance to be an 8-9 seed. Following Calhoun and getting moved to the AAC was going to be tough on anyone to stay in the top 10 year in and year out at UCONN.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:10 am

Floyd wrote:OffSeason, regarding your comment about southern guys having trouble coaching in the northeast, why do you think that is ? Is it a recruiting thing or something else? Serious question, like to hear your take
I think it is part recruiting for sure as it isn't easy getting kids North as opposed to south(even though we have a bunch) but also the style of play...northeast is known more for a physical grind it out style and the south doesn't play like that in general.

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Post by TheOFFSeason » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:15 am

Refuse2Lose83 wrote:
TheOFFSeason wrote:
Refuse2Lose83 wrote:Waiting for The Offseason to comment. He always seems to have his finger on the pulse of things.
His reputation, the little I know of it, is very good among coaches. I cannot really comment on anything else from things I know, but I will offer my opinion: I think there is reason to feel good about this hire in that he was able to win 29 games his first year coaching-other guys players or not he was the one running practices, preparing game plans, making substitutions etc and therefore he won 29 games. Also, Donovan's assistants have been very organized and have done very well.
My question is that guys from the south have generally had a difficult time coaching in the northeast but I want to see who he hires as assistants...that could really help(no current assistants as he needs to be the boss right from the start).
I'm hoping to go to the PC tomorrow and hear him first hand to get a better gauge on things.

Thank you! Any inside info on how we got to McCall from Shrewsberry, Skerry, Greenberg, etc? Thanks in advance!
I can only speculate as nothing have I heard to know for sure like with the Rhoades offer but I would think MM came from Fogler. Greenberg was him going after the job(like every other job that has come Open in the last 5 years...no one is recommending him). I believe Micah contacted UMass and not the other way around. Skerry was a guy on RB's list.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:39 am

wmmmfan wrote:
Also, I can't believe I'm going to say this, I would mind seeing Mike Jarvis as an Assistant on his staff here. Much like Dunleavy bringing bringing Tom Pecora on staff at the Q.
NO

FUCKING

WAY!!!!

I would take Chaney or even DK over that arrogant fuck. Hell I would take Gale Catlett before Jarvis :shock:

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:43 am

DoctorJ wrote:
If this doesn't work. I want all you Fire-DK people to admit you blew it and start a Off With Bamford's Head website.
Bamford missing on this hire would not mean DK should have stayed..... you are dumb. :roll:

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:50 am

Does anyone know if the press conference will be streamed?

gosox22
Junior

Post by gosox22 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:53 am

^ Berk, same as last time, will be live streamed on the UMass Basketball facebook page.

xlgman
Hall of Fame

Post by xlgman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:57 am

^ Don't say that!!!
This is the most enjoyable losing season ever!

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:04 am

Thanks for the comments Offseason, and you answered a question I kept meaning to ask the board. Wasn't sure if Fogler was still involved the 2nd time around. Jeff Goodman will hate this hire since it came from a search firm.
Hire Matt McCall!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:18 am

TheOFFSeason wrote:
LS71 wrote:
TheOFFSeason wrote:...I think there is reason to feel good about this hire in that he was able to win 29 games his first year coaching-other guys players or not he was the one running practices, preparing game plans, making substitutions etc and therefore he won 29 games.
The other side of that coin is Kevin Ollie winning a national championship coaching another guy's players in his first year as a head coach. Fast forward to this season...he's on the hot seat after UConn had its first losing season in thirty years. Just sayin'...
I see what you are saying but UConn wasn't great in Ollie's first year, they went into the NCAA's as an 8 or 9 seed and should've lost to St Joe's in the first round(still can't believe Martelli blew that) and then caught lightning in a bottle with good match ups and a hot guard. I think Ollie has proven to be about the same coach as that since then...if he didn't have all the injuries this year he had a chance to be an 8-9 seed. Following Calhoun and getting moved to the AAC was going to be tough on anyone to stay in the top 10 year in and year out at UCONN.
They were a 7 seed. I agree that they should've lost to St. Joe's too.

Their record has gotten worse every year since then. They did make a bit of a run late this season but came up short.

Probably the biggest difference is being able to recruit the same level of talent as his predecessor.
Last edited by LS71 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Uminuteman
Senior

Post by Uminuteman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:19 am

eldonabe wrote:
DoctorJ wrote:
If this doesn't work. I want all you Fire-DK people to admit you blew it and start a Off With Bamford's Head website.
Bamford missing on this hire would not mean DK should have stayed..... you are dumb. :roll:
If he runs 1 successful out of bounds play it is an upgrade.

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:29 am

DoctorJ wrote:I don't know a lot about him. I will withhold judgment for now but I am not excited.

That's ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Derek is a good man, but it was time. He wasn't magically going to learn how to be a strategist.

Bubba
Sophomore

Post by Bubba » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:52 am

LS71 wrote:
I dare say if Coach McCall wins a national championship next year, he would retain 'god status' in Amherst for a few hundred years.