Politics

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Re: Politics

Post by MJatUM » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:26 am

Kinda shocked nothing has been put here but I guess it's not political and words can't really describe the sadness and anger I feel simultaneously. These cowards completely changed the narrative in less than 24 hours. Completely undermined the BLM movement and it's really sad when you see all the photos on Twitter of how peaceful the protest was and how cordial the officers and protesters were with each other. Sad, sad day.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:48 am

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be a cop in this day and age with the rhetoric flying around. They deserve all of our respect for what they do.

Marshmont_63
Senior

Post by Marshmont_63 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:27 pm

Even after the shootings last night in Dallas I expect we'll hear the same thing from Republicans that we hear every time there is a tragic shooting... #ThoughtsAndPrayers and no action taken to reduce gun violence. It's a sad world we live in where the NRA controls so many congressmen/women.
“When people come to our building we want them to feel the house of P.A.I.N.” -- Chaz Williams

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:23 pm

UMass87 wrote:... I think her use of private email while Secretary of State should be disqualifying...
We may not agree on the double standard (in my opinion) applied to Clinton in this case, but on the use of her private SERVER being disqualifying for presidency, I agree with you, 100%.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:35 pm

DEM wrote:
UMass87 wrote:... I think her use of private email while Secretary of State should be disqualifying...
We may not agree on the double standard (in my opinion) applied to Clinton in this case, but on the use of her private SERVER being disqualifying for presidency, I agree with you, 100%.
Unfortunately for us, the majority of voters didn't agree which I find mystifying. That we are given a choice of Trump or Clinton as the only realistically viable candidates is a very sad indictment of the state of politics in the U.S. today.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:42 pm

Well, actually, the latest polls on the matter show that a majority of voters do agree with us. Keep in mind, registered democrats only compose about 29% of voters (vs republicans even less at 26%), and only a little over half of that fraction voted for Hillary - and that was before James Comey released his findings.

As I think you were saying though, the choice of Clinton or Trump is the result of a broken political system that badly needs to be reformed.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:39 am

^ agree completely. I also think it's is ridiculously disingenuous to bring up the percentage of eligible voters who voted for Clinton. Nobody forced anybody to register as Independent or unaffiliated. When one does so (which I have always done) then you are, to some degree, opting out of the party system and pretending that that doesn't have some cost is ludicrous. Political parties exist precisely to groom people like Hillary Clinton. That's what they exist for. Nobody should be at all surprised that Clinton was the favorite of the Democratic Party. If all those people in the polls who don't trust Hillary Clinton, or think she's corrupt, or just hate her because they are misogynists had simply registered and voted (for, say, Martin O'Malley who is nothing if not decent) then maybe Clinton wouldn't be the nominee. We are spoiled brats when it comes to politics in this country. We lack a fundamental understanding of what politics is: the art of compromise to achieve political objectives. The net result is we nominate people like Trump who are so profoundly apolitical that they can never be anything but incompetent in actual governance.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:29 pm

ktabz16 wrote:You all think it's disqualifying from YOUR view, but thankfully, in a democracy, people get to choose their own reasons for voting for whichever candidate they feel is best.

For example, a liberal Supreme Court is pretty much my only issue this election, I caucused for Bernie but after my state caucus, I felt Hillary had the best chance of delivering on my issue.
Yes, it is disqualifying in MY view, for several reasons - not least of which is that it might get Trump elected president, which could be devastating for our country and the world, in my opinion. Unfortunately, the latest polls are bearing that fear out - they are essentially tied, with some polls showing Trump ahead in crucial swing states. Establishment democrats and their kingmakers, in pushing for the nomination of Hillary Clinton (with record unlikability even before FBI findings), are playing a game of Russian roulette. Let's hope for our sake, and the world's, that they don't end up looking stupid for it in November.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:38 pm

UMass87 wrote:^ agree completely. I also think it's is ridiculously disingenuous to bring up the percentage of eligible voters who voted for Clinton. Nobody forced anybody to register as Independent or unaffiliated. When one does so (which I have always done) then you are, to some degree, opting out of the party system and pretending that that doesn't have some cost is ludicrous. Political parties exist precisely to groom people like Hillary Clinton. That's what they exist for. Nobody should be at all surprised that Clinton was the favorite of the Democratic Party. If all those people in the polls who don't trust Hillary Clinton, or think she's corrupt, or just hate her because they are misogynists had simply registered and voted (for, say, Martin O'Malley who is nothing if not decent) then maybe Clinton wouldn't be the nominee. We are spoiled brats when it comes to politics in this country. We lack a fundamental understanding of what politics is: the art of compromise to achieve political objectives. The net result is we nominate people like Trump who are so profoundly apolitical that they can never be anything but incompetent in actual governance.
Our two party political system is incredibly flawed and steeped in corruption; it desperately needs to be fixed. Having two candidates that are so loathed by the voters is a product of that.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:12 am

DEM wrote:...
Our two party political system is incredibly flawed and steeped in corruption; it desperately needs to be fixed. Having two candidates that are so loathed by the voters is a product of that.
It is, no doubt, but people like me who don't affiliate with a party and are not active in local party politics are a huge part of the problem. Political parties only can represent the people when the people are active in the political party.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:43 am

UMass87 wrote: We are spoiled brats when it comes to politics in this country. We lack a fundamental understanding of what politics is: the art of compromise to achieve political objectives.

What planet are you from?

Politics is about selling yourself to the highest bidder...... it may be done under the facade of "compromise" but it is all about the $$$$$ - nothing more and nothing less.

Trump is different in that regard but then again he is not - he just has a different price point that the more traditional politicians out there and he is not afraid to have an objective that does not clearly align himself with his party of choice sometimes. Hillary will carry that fucking Donkey Banner and all it stands for to the grave. It is not a coincidence that the Democratic logo is an Ass!

I think Trump is a douche but I like the idea that he is a bit of a cowboy with some swaggar and I am more than on board with his basic message that the United States is still #1 and just needs to start acting like it again - but he loses me when he cannot tell me exactly how we go about it.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:39 am

^ facile garbage.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:02 pm

ktabz16 wrote:As far as polling goes, the Republicans always take a slight lead around RNC time, so I take those polls with a grain of salt.
Isn't that bump typically after the convention (not before)? I hope your calm is justified, but there are a lot of worrisome signs. I fear that the brilliant minds of the DNC have been betting on the wrong horse, despite all the red flags waving in their faces. Hopefully you're right and there's nothing to see here.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:12 am

DEM wrote:...
First of all, minor argument with your descriptor of Politico - I'd argue that they are best described as corporatist and establishment. Guess which of the remaining candidate best fits that mold? (at least until Trump "falls in line" with the corporate donors, which he might, and stops acting like a nutjob, which he won't).
Just to disabuse you of the idea that Politico is not right-leaning (while also corporatist and establishment) you should read this nice history of Politico:

https://www.washingtonian.com/2016/07/1 ... ton-allen/

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:54 am

ktabz16 wrote:As far as polling goes, the Republicans always take a slight lead around RNC time, so I take those polls with a grain of salt.

Edit - the Republican platform is a god awful mess of homophobia and anti-reality. Making Mike Pence the VP nominee reinforces the platform. The entire Republican party should be disqualified from holding office for endorsing such a vicious and backwards platform.
There needs to be a "new" republican party where we kick out the crazy evangelicals (who unfortunately, I feel make up a majority of the party that actually goes out to vote). When the hell is there going to be a socially moderate (read: common sense) republican. FFS, there are a BILLION better hills to die on than denying gay marriage. Infuriating doesn't even begin to describe it.