Marken Michel

Get ready for some MACtion
njumass08
Hall of Fame

Re: Marken Michel

Post by njumass08 » Tue May 03, 2016 2:08 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote:^ another telling sign of the lack of bulk built up by these players was the removal of the strength and conditioning coach
It seemed to be more just missed blocking assignments than anything else, which makes me think that it's a combination of bad OL coaching/preparation and possibly the players being lazy with their studying. To successfully pick up the blitz you really have to spend hours each week watching the other team on film. I think the first year of Whip the other teams didn't have a set plan of how to attack our O-Line, but then last year they obviously came in prepared to attack weak spots and confuse our O-Line, which was very successful.

That in turn caused Blake to have to rush a lot of throws and it really hurt our offensive production.
Last edited by njumass08 on Wed May 04, 2016 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

Franklin Fanatic
Freshman

Post by Franklin Fanatic » Tue May 03, 2016 2:16 pm

njumass08 wrote:
PreecherJenkins wrote:^ another telling sign of the lack of bulk built up by these players was the removal of the strength and conditioning coach
It seemed to be more just missed blocking assignments than anything else, which makes me think that it's a combination of bad OL coaching/preparation and possibly the players being lazy with their studying. To successfully pick up the blitz you really have to spend hours each week watching the other team on film. I think the first year of Whip the other teams didn't have a set plan of how to attack our O-Line, but then last year they obviously came in prepared to attack weak spots and confuse our O-Line, which was very successful.

That in turn caused Blake to have to rush a lot of throws and it really hurt out offensive production.
I agree NJ. I thought we would've been a lot better up front last year with all the upper classmen, but we regressed. We actually blocked well in the last game vs Buffalo when we had starters out. I just hope we start our 5 best this year, regardless of their class. Hope the new OL line coach (and new Strength coach) can make a difference.

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Tue May 03, 2016 3:48 pm

njumass08 wrote:

That in turn caused Blake to have to rush a lot of throws and it really hurt out offensive production.
What level football have you played, nj? You sound like you have either played or coached at the highest level is that assumption correct?
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Wed May 04, 2016 5:40 am

^ No. Just a fan of the game and like watching the O-Line. All success starts with a solid well prepared offensive line, in my opinion. I stopped playing after high school, wasn't big enough to play at a big school. Picked going to UMass over going to Ithaca and playing football there.
Looking forward to the 2022 UMass Football Season (Oh boy, just jinxed that one)

Mark W
Junior

Post by Mark W » Wed May 04, 2016 6:42 am

Franklin Fanatic wrote:
njumass08 wrote:

I agree NJ. I thought we would've been a lot better up front last year with all the upper classmen, but we regressed. We actually blocked well in the last game vs Buffalo when we had starters out. I just hope we start our 5 best this year, regardless of their class. Hope the new OL line coach (and new Strength coach) can make a difference.
Over on the Boneyard they speak very highly of Foley as an offensive line coach. Many over there wish he was still at UConn.
UMass...the best is yet to come

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed May 04, 2016 7:40 am

Franklin Fanatic wrote:
njumass08 wrote:

Backfield blocking/protection was also tough to watch as well.

goumassfootball
Freshman

Post by goumassfootball » Wed May 04, 2016 9:36 am

Froh was dreadful, especially in the red zone. The Oline opened holes (see N Dame first half, Temple, Buffalo...the three best defenses we faced) as long as they stayed committed to the run. You can't go empty backfield all the time and not expect a pass rush.

minutefanjsf
Hall of Fame

Post by minutefanjsf » Wed May 04, 2016 10:08 am

goumassfootball wrote:Froh was dreadful, especially in the red zone. The Oline opened holes (see N Dame first half, Temple, Buffalo...the three best defenses we faced) as long as they stayed committed to the run. You can't go empty backfield all the time and not expect a pass rush.
There really isn't much good we can find in a 3-9 team that was supposed to have a potent offense and did not. But, silver lining was that the run blocking was better at times as you exampled.

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:30 am

I think the offensive struggles last year were a culmination of all our problems on the offensive side of the ball. Before the season even started Jean Sifrin had declared for the NFL draft and there was a need at the “Y” Tight End spot. The two TE’s the team brought in with the 2015 recruiting class (Lynn and Reynolds) both ended up being ineligible and that hurt the offense, in a Pro Style offense you need a “Y” that is a pass catching threat. Similarly losing Jalen Williams for the season hurt us big time as well, especially in the Red Zone. Without Sifrin, who was a big time threat in the Red Zone, the team was probably looking to Williams who’s 6’3 to be a go-to guy in those situations. Without him our top 3 receivers were Sharpe (6’1) Mills (6’1) and Michel (5’10) which hurt us in the Red Zone. Add to that the O-Line woes and Froh being more hurt than the team let on and it was a recipe for disaster.

Those 4 games vs. Kent State (15 points), Ball State (20), Akron (17) and Miami (20) all should have been wins if we had the same offense as 2014. Add to that the Temple loss where all we needed to do was make a extra-point and it makes for an incredibly frustrating season of “what could’ve been”

Puffton395
Sophomore

Post by Puffton395 » Wed May 04, 2016 1:07 pm

goumassfootball wrote:Froh was dreadful, especially in the red zone. The Oline opened holes (see N Dame first half, Temple, Buffalo...the three best defenses we faced) as long as they stayed committed to the run. You can't go empty backfield all the time and not expect a pass rush.
Some seem to forget all the picks in the endzone Fro had last season. He threw a lot of bad passes during the season and once we hit the "east part" of the schedule, he was awful. Didn't he have something like 6 ints in the redzone alone? That, and the ending of the Temple game is the reason they didn't come closer to 6 wins. Beat Temple and this team gains much needed confidence and positive regional headlines for once.
UMass '10 but I run with the '06 class

Kelz626
Junior

Post by Kelz626 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:09 pm

Froh wasn’t the same after the Bowling Green game when he got body slammed on his throwing shoulder. I think he was injured way more seriously than was reported in the media. After that game his passes had no zip on them and he looked hesitant, almost like he was second guessing himself, when he threw passes. Of course the Bowling Green game was before we played that string of winnable games against Kent St, Ball St, Akron and Miami. His injury probably cost us 4 wins as we should have easily scored 21 points or more in all 4 of those game

Puffton395
Sophomore

Post by Puffton395 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:27 pm

Kelz626 wrote:Froh wasn’t the same after the Bowling Green game when he got body slammed on his throwing shoulder. I think he was injured way more seriously than was reported in the media. After that game his passes had no zip on them and he looked hesitant, almost like he was second guessing himself, when he threw passes. Of course the Bowling Green game was before we played that string of winnable games against Kent St, Ball St, Akron and Miami. His injury probably cost us 4 wins as we should have easily scored 21 points or more in all 4 of those game
Sure. But the INT he threw vs Temple on the second to last final drive (bailed out on a fumble) was just piss poor. He wasn't very good last year.

BUT

Throw a healthy Jalen William out there and add Jean Sifrin, things change. For sure.
UMass '10 but I run with the '06 class

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed May 04, 2016 3:46 pm

If and buts were candy and nuts every day be christmas.
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Update on Marken. He's with the Calgary Stampeders' in the CFL.

https://www.stampeders.com/tag/marken-michel/

Looks like their kick returner got suspended and Marken might be the guy to return kicks this week.

http://nationalpost.com/sports/football ... 71575db213

Good luck to Marken!

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:42 am

Marken had 2 catches for 37 yards and a touchdown last night. Great game for him. Should lock up a spot for him on the roster (previously on the practice squad).

Great job taking advantage of the opportunity that he got with one of the other WR's being suspended for the game.