Austin Montgomery

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
DEM
Senior

Austin Montgomery

Post by DEM » Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:28 pm

I just saw that Austin Montgomery committed to UMass. Anybody have info on him? Supposedly he's a good three pt shooter, I don't know much else about him.

Kustodial
Sophomore

Austin

Post by Kustodial » Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:44 pm

Heres some info on Austin Montgomery, although i dont know if he has committed!

Montgomery is another player who has had a lengthy impact. The 6-5 standout averaged 20.9 points, 6.4 rebounds and 4.5 assists to lead the Falcons to a 22-5 season that included a sectional title and a runner-up performance in the Marion County Tournament.

I also read that Xavier was looking at him.
Go Umass!

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:48 pm

According to this site, he has committed.

http://massachusetts.rivals.com/viewpro ... _key=18636

kmac
Sophomore

Post by kmac » Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:37 pm

It doesn't say he's committed - it says he has a visit scheduled for 4/12.

• School - Massachusetts
    Interest - High
    Visit Date - 4/12/2003
    Offer - No

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:24 pm

Oops...my bad :oops:

I only saw us listed and thought that had meant he committed.

PreacherPugh
Freshman

Post by PreacherPugh » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:42 pm

Do we need another swingman? Thats the only thing we have enough of for next year. We've got Marcus, Vigg, Artie, and Brennan(if he stays). I wish we were out recruiting some inside help. I know everyone thinks the world of Briggs and Freeman, but I'd like some more recruits that can play inside. A bulldog type player. Get some big bodies in here. No more of these slashers. This guy's the same thing we've already had, Jenkins, Lamb, and Pugh.

Rudy
Junior

Post by Rudy » Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:54 am

What about a back up point. I thought that we may need some more depth there prior to Lasme's departure with Cox leaving next year and Bowers being a slashing SG/SF, but now????? Who's going to back AA next year? I sure hope Cox/Brennen iare working on their ball handling and quickness. And if one of those guys gets hurt,...? Lappas must be gambling that he can land a good recruit next year with the promise of much playing time.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Freeman

Post by Swampy » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:12 am

PreacherPugh wrote: I know everyone thinks the world of Briggs and Freeman, but I'd like some more recruits that can play inside. A bulldog type player. Get some big bodies in here.
Ray Freeman will knock you on your arse and enjoy every minute of it!
Once he gets acclimated nobody is going to take his minutes away :!:

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:46 am

I like that Lappas is bringing in big guards. They can use their height advantage to find guys on offense and contain smaller guards on defense.

As far as using however many remaining scholarships available (is it 2 or 3 with Maxwell's committment?) to bring in some size, remember that UMass made the Sweet 16 with an undersized front court back in '92, but they were ALL HEART! I know that Al McGuire used to say that you can't teach height, but just get more guys who want to win as badly as those guys did and UMass won't have any problems!!

Make the UMass theme song U2's Desire!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:55 am

I agree with the Preacher. We could use some more size inside, if anyone goes down to foul trouble or injury we will be a little thin up front. Seems we have a lot of small forward/big guard types. A solid backup at point will also be key. One more big guy, & one more point we should be trying for.

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Inside or Outside?

Post by philosopher » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:11 pm

:!: Whenever UMass has been successful, there has been a reliable outside shot that opened up the middle. Do we have enought swingmen? Do we have enough big men? Of course not. But those are not the questions on which a whole lot hangs. Do we have a reliable outside shot? Perhaps with Bowers we do. Perhaps Montgomery will provide it as well.

Freeman and Briggs will do their version of the MonsterMash inside. But it will be to little avail if there is not accurate firepower from the wings and beyond the arc. Without the fearless, deadeye, shooter the '03-'04 season will end with the A-10 tournament. Again.

PreacherPugh
Freshman

Re: Freeman

Post by PreacherPugh » Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:53 pm

Swampy wrote:
PreacherPugh wrote: I know everyone thinks the world of Briggs and Freeman, but I'd like some more recruits that can play inside. A bulldog type player. Get some big bodies in here.
Ray Freeman will knock you on your arse and enjoy every minute of it!
Once he gets acclimated nobody is going to take his minutes away :!:

What you play on his team in Boyden while he dominated the Intramural League?
I mean don't get me wrong I hope he succeds, but to put all this pressure on two big men to keep the whole team alive inside is ridiculous. We should be out there recruiting a few more big fellas to help, you never know who'll get injured, kicked off the team, or transfer. That can be used for the signing of Montgomery Burns, but still don't come running to the board crying we're too small when Emeka Okefor goes for 25 and 15 agansit us.
Depina=a good PG
Pugh=a steller dunker
Toot=the man
Dec. 6th 2002=the ultimate

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:36 am

anewfan
Freshman

Post by anewfan » Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:56 am

Nice find Dick and I hope that he finds us. By the way,I hope SL lets him know #40 just became available for the next four years.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:14 am

Tall and can shoot......yeah, I think that works for us!!! :) :) :) :)

In the sectional championship game, in a close and nervous contest, Montgomery nailed back-to-back 3-pointers to give his Falcons a lead they would never relinquish.

"He's just very tough to match up against," Hensley said. "He's tall, he can shoot and he has good mobility. There aren't a lot of players at the high school level who have those kind of skills."