Possibly Dad is a little over the top....

Get ready for some MACtion
Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:08 pm

It might not be grossly inappropriate but he's definitely pimping out his son. Johnny football hero needs to chill out and let his kid be a kid. At least wait until his kid is playing varsity football in high school to start doing crap like that.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:25 pm

Niles - you may not have read my post in basketball where I stated that I think it's inappropriate for kids to be playing coached sports before 14 or so (I think kids should be playing pick up) but that's where I'm coming from. So, it's not surprising that you disagree with me because you probably don't agree with the premises underlying my position.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:32 pm

^ You're correct, I don't agree with you.

lane one
Junior

Post by lane one » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:21 pm

Acting that way about a 12 year old is way more likely to produce a drug addict than a division I quarterback.

Cal Ripkin has a wonderful book titled something like "Parenting Young Athletes the Ripkin Way" that I strongly recommend for anyone who has kids in youth sports. His basic premise is that its your kid's childhood, not yours. If you don't believe that, you probably won't read the book anyway. But, there are lots of good tactics for how to better implement that philosphy that makes it worth reading.

There is a lot to be gotten out of playing sports, but if you just want your kid to get a college scholarship, the best event for them to focus on is lthe SATs.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Quoted from one of the links:
"There is a 12 year old phenom quarterback that has better mecanics than many NCAA quarterbacks and he is finally getting noticed. UMass contacted Daron Bryden and invotes the 12 year phenom to their camp, and boy did he impress.......

.........I don’t know about you, but I am sure we will see this kid in the NCAA very soon."

FINALLY getting noticed! Hopefully that damn puberty doesn't get in the way!

We'll see the kid in the NCAA VERY soon! Hopefully the NCAA grants his exemption from eighth grade through high school.

Yes, he shows some nice mechanics. Hopefully he grows enough and gets enough arm strength and enough speed and enough gridiron savvy and remembers UMass five years down the road.

NilesGold
Hall of Fame

Post by NilesGold » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:49 pm

lane one wrote:Acting that way about a 12 year old is way more likely to produce a drug addict than a division I quarterback.
I'll remind you that you don't really know jack shit about the kid or his father.

SJGMoney
Junior

Post by SJGMoney » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:31 pm

NilesGold wrote:
lane one wrote:Acting that way about a 12 year old is way more likely to produce a drug addict than a division I quarterback.
I'll remind you that you don't really know jack shit about the kid or his father.
This. UMass87 and lane one both lead the board in ignorant posts. I swear to god some of you guys would find fault with a free lunch.
UMass '87

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:34 pm

SJGMoney wrote:...
This. UMass87 and lane one both lead the board in ignorant posts. I swear to god some of you guys would find fault with a free lunch.
Ya...like there's no such thing. I think you need to look up the word ignorant.

SJGMoney
Junior

Post by SJGMoney » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:38 pm

UMass87 wrote:
Making assumptions about a 12 year old kid's future and his father's influence, demeanor, motives etc without knowing anything about either one of them is the definition of ignorant.

If you want me to put it another way I will: you're talking out your ass as usual.
UMass '87

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:42 pm

Ok, Find where I made ANY assumptions about either the kid or his father. Asshole. What I posted about the father was based on one thing: his tweeting endlessly to the universe about his twelve year-old kid. I assume nothing else when I say that behavior is grossly inappropriate. You may disagree and that's fine. But you're still a dumbass and your inability to read or use words properly proves it to everyone.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:57 pm

http://daronqb.blogspot.com/

"There is no off season for Daron! #NoDaysOff
Daron is still playing football all year around. He is still doing his QB workouts with his father. He worked out with New Britain Jr Hurricanes players and Hartford Hurricanes players during his off season workouts. He recently finished his indoor flag football league. He played for coaches Mark Light and Kori Kaluna. Right now he is playing Full Contact Indoor Football League with Team 88 Athletics. We are undefeated so far. Our record is 4-0. Daron is 23/30 passing 77 % completions with 8 touchdown passes and no interceptions so far. Two more games left to go. His wide receivers are doing great job! His wide receivers are AP Simpson, Dorrain Chaney, Tyreece Lumpkin and Zach Light! His linemen are also doing a great job (Shepard, Kaluna and DTrain) Two of his FBU Team Connecticut North teammates are playing with him (DTrain, and Dorrian Chaney) His coaches for Team 88 Athletics are Tyrone Lumpkin, Kori Kaluna and Mark Grano. His next camp is ACE Rule The Air Invitational Game in Philly, PA this Sunday. Then his next camp is Team USA Football Regionial Development at Washington DC (April 5 and 6). He was invited by Jimmy Thomas to go there. They will be using the Gallaudet University football field! Great experience for Daron because Gallaudet University is a deaf college!"
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Dewey
Sophomore

Post by Dewey » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:29 pm

For whatever it's worth, I sat in the Bryden's living room for a column last year.

http://ht.ly/3lPpmf

I expected the father to be overbearing or obsessive. He really wasn't. A little over-caffeinated, but he certainly wasn't Marv Marinovich or Earl Woods.

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:30 am

UMass87 wrote:
Ig-no-rant....

"Ig" from the Dutch Canadian nether regions - it is a slang term for "I Got"

"No" - meaning NO

"Rant" - Meaning to have diarrhea of the oral speaking hole

So Ignorant literally means "I got no diarrhea of the mounth"!

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:19 pm

This guy reminds me of so many parents I see with kids in youth sports or playing in high school, except on steroids. I cannot tell you how many parents tell me that they really think their son/daughter has a great chance at a D1 scholarship, etc. etc. etc. It really is hard not to laugh right in their faces. So many parents have become monsters when it comes to their kids and sports. It is absolutely ludicrous and so many of them are unpleasant to be around.
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

MajBugman
Senior

Post by MajBugman » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:27 pm

Somebody needs to send the film to Mike Mayock.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.