OFFICIAL UMass references in Television, Film, etc. thread

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Quinn
Junior

OFFICIAL UMass references in Television, Film, etc. thread

Post by Quinn » Thu May 08, 2003 5:02 pm

Sharpen those memories folks...dig into your mental archives. It's that time again: the re-re-rebirth of the UMass References in Television and Film thread. The last 2 threads on this subject were lost when the old board got swiped. I figured that with some recent Minuteman related press, that it was time to bring it back.

To refresh everyone, just post any times you've read a book, seen a movie or TV show, and UMass was mentioned. This could include casual "Umass" droppings as well as stories you read about individuals who might have passed through the area.

If possible I'd like to fully expand this thread to also include any former students and Alumni that were connected to Amherst and are now in the public one way or another.

Rocks posted about the Minuteman issue being on PTI today (7:30pm on ESPN2 - May 8th). Thanks for unintentionally reminding me about this thread topic Rocks!

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu May 08, 2003 6:49 pm

I'm moving this to General but I'll make it a Sticky so it doesn't disappear.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri May 16, 2003 3:35 pm

minutemen on PTI two weeks ago i think :D

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu May 22, 2003 10:39 am

minutemen on PTI again yesterday when there was discussion about another school changing their mascot

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu May 22, 2003 10:40 am

and Me, Myself, and Irene was on this past weekend and UMASS is mentioned there

TBird
Sophomore

Post by TBird » Fri May 30, 2003 12:35 pm

Pixies baby!!
"I went to college and it was okay" - Jim

Feato
Senior

Post by Feato » Fri May 30, 2003 5:44 pm

This is Frank Black...!!
MF

I'm a professional smartass.

Quinn
Junior

Post by Quinn » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:32 am

On the reruns of "Family Guy" on the Cartoon Network, they aired the episode entitled "A Fish Out Of Water" . There is a quote during spring break scene where 2 kids are talking about how drunk some kid from UMass got and fell off the balcony.

Quinn
Junior

Post by Quinn » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:38 am

There were (2) UMass references in Colin Quinn's show "Tough Crowd" on Comedy Central.

The first was back in March, during the episode with guests Dennis Leary, Lenny Clarke, Greg Giraldo and Sue Costello. Sue Costello mentioned that she went to UMass-Boston. Later on, when Quinn made a callback to their earlier jokes, he just refered to it as "UMass".

In last nights episode (6/2/03), one of the topics was the recent state proposal to disallow students form terrorist countries to attend colleges in Massachusetts. During the entire segment, their was a picture up on the background screen that said "UMass Hysteria".

Doc Moonlight
Sophomore

Post by Doc Moonlight » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:17 pm

Sue Costello had a failed comedy sereis on Fox a few years back. In the pilot episode, she was talking with her mother about what to do with her life. Her mother said "You can always go to UMASS." Sue said "Aw Ma, that's just like going to community college." :evil:

On SPIN CITY, Heather Locklear's character was supposed to be a UMASS grad who pretended to be a Harvard Grad ("University of Massachusetts, I meant a university in Massachusetts...")

In LIVIN' FOR LOVE:THE NATALIE COLE STORY, Natalie's UMASS years are depicted briefly (but not all that positively, it's where she was introduced to drugs).

Finally, although no direct references to UMASS are made the the Christmas weepie SILENT NIGHT, LONELY NIGHT was shot in Amherst in February of 1969. Many town landmarks are recognizable.

Peacefrog
Sophomore

Post by Peacefrog » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:14 am

this is sort of off topic, but I didn't know where to put it. I was watching an episode of Three's Company, where Jack was doing a cooking demo on TV, Janet and Terry were helping, and when he introduced Terry, he said, "..and from Longmeadow ,Massachusetts, Terry(whatever her last name was). Interesting they would use Longmeadow. Wonder what the relevance was, if there was any.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:16 pm

was watching PTI yesterday, and they were doing a happy b-day to Dicky V, and during one of the shots of him (he was doing something goofy), you could see in the background UMASS warming up... i saw padilla and travieso... it was cool

fbiman
Sophomore

Post by fbiman » Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:10 pm

The new season of MTV's Real World(Paris) has a UMass student. His name is C.T. and is an SOM major. I believe he is from Methuen.

He already bagged the best looking girl on the show. Rock on!
That's not an MP, that's a YP. Not My Problem, Your Problem.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:26 pm

best looking girl is the soccer player

i didnt know CT was from umass though... i knew he was a MA guy, but not Umass... sounds like some good exposure to me... except for the fact that he cant hold his alcohol... makes it look like we cant drink here! :P

AlPatino
Junior

Post by AlPatino » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:51 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:was watching PTI yesterday, and they were doing a happy b-day to Dicky V, and during one of the shots of him (he was doing something goofy), you could see in the background UMASS warming up... i saw padilla and travieso... it was cool
"Preserve your memories..... they're all that's left you." -- Paul Simon

What a time it WAS!