The Latest Entries from the Lappas Book of Quotations...

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
LS71
Hall of Fame

The Latest Entries from the Lappas Book of Quotations...

Post by LS71 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:49 am

From today's paper:

First, from the optimisim chapter:
I'm disappointed, but I'm not discouraged. I still feel our young kids have a lot left in their tanks.
But, then there was this:
Our defense in the first half was awful. Our man-to-man has taken a hit in the last month, because we've been practicing five or six defenses, rather than one or two.
What was that again, Coach? :? :shock:

It's like the old joke...

Patient: Hey Doc, it hurts when I do that.
Doctor: Then, don't do that!

More bothersome to me, it sounds like Artie Bowers' frustration is starting to show:
In high school, I lost two or three games a year on a team that played a national schedule. I knew we'd have ups and downs, but I didn't expect it to be like this. I guess you take the ups with the downs.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:06 am

Bothersome! It's sad. These kids were winners. They come here and they learn how to lose.
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!

The Great Herndini
Sophomore

Post by The Great Herndini » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:18 am

Wow. Even his excuses are becoming worse as the season progresses. You could even say he's really reaching -- in fact, it's as if he has extra-long... ah, you know the rest. :lol: :lol:

zultr
Sophomore

Post by zultr » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:27 pm

I just read that article and I am both embarrassed and disgusted by his comments.

“The Rams shot 65.4 percent in the first half”

Ok, so why was the defense so bad?

“because we've been practicing five or six defenses, rather than one or two."

What does this even mean? The defense is awful because you were practicing it? Is he saying he runs his practices so poorly that he confused his team to the point where they couldn’t contain one of the worst offenses on the planet? His team can’t understand more than one or two defenses? I don’t get it. Supposedly, they were practicing different defenses to make up for a lack of size – I guess Fordham must have a monstrous frontcourt. Right? Well, no.

“Center Mushon Ya'akosi, [Fordham’s] only true post player, [was] limited to 15 minutes before fouling out.”

This is up there with the “they have long arms” bullshit. At least AA sounded like a coach: "We've been working on special defenses, but that's no excuse."

“’I'm very concerned about Ray,’ said Lappas, who isn't ruling out a lineup change involving Freeman, the UMass scoring leader at 14.1 points per game. ‘Obviously, (opponents) are watching tape and doing things defensively on him, and he's struggling.’"

Yeah, obviously, we’re screwed because other coaches are watching tape and Lappas’ only solution to handle what could perhaps be his best player is to take him out of the lineup.

It’s beyond firing him now. They should be considering whether he should be shot at sunrise.

Feato
Senior

Post by Feato » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:36 pm

best line yet from Ron C.
The team is in freefall, and questions about whether the program is truly rebuilding - or careening down a dead-end street - are sure to follow.
he just forgot to mention there's a brick wall at the end of the street...
MF

I'm a professional smartass.

Feato
Senior

Post by Feato » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:42 pm

that's the problem..they have to practice that many defenses...simple man-to-man won't work due to fatigue/lack of bench & matchup size problems the whole game.

Of course, now you're telling the "young kids" to learn 5 or 6 defenses instead of say, a man-to-man and a box +1, which was the primary ones used before...and it's probably confusing the hell out of them at times...

at this point I don't think more players'll help for next year...because they'll have to learn the system too. At best, it could whittle the defenses back down to one or 2, since there'll be some bench help...
MF

I'm a professional smartass.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:45 am

More quotes to come tonight, 7pm for the broadcast of the coach's show.
http://www.sportsjuice.com/providers2/i ... name=umass

I'm leaving work earlier than normal to be sure I get home to hear how he explains the Fordham debacle.

gui98
Junior

Post by gui98 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:16 pm

From Todays Chimelis (finish the quote):

"It will be a great challenge for us, because they're a great challenge for anybody," Lappas said on his televised coach's show. "I wish they were No. 1, because it sounds better, playing No. 1. Playing No. 2, No. 1, what's the difference?....."

"whats the difference, I mean get blown out by number 1, number 2, Fordham on the road, St. Mary's Girl's School for the deaf and blind?...."

"wish they were No. 1, because it sounds better...actually if we were playing a team of scantily clad playboy bunnies, that would sound even better.."

Sound better?...BWHAT? ....Sound Better.

Gene Frenkle
Freshman

Post by Gene Frenkle » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:36 pm

"It will be a great challenge for us, because they're a great challenge for anybody," Lappas said on his televised coach's show. "I wish they were No. 1, because it sounds better, playing No. 1. Playing No. 2, No. 1, what's the difference?....."
Ha! :D Sure that wasn't Dubya?

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:39 pm

Scubba Steve's comments after games are now beyond hilarious and at the same time very disturbing. He is making a strong effort to prove he is mentally challeged or thinks we the fans are. Personally, I think he was hoping they were number one because it would help his putred rpi even with a blow out. Go Zoomass!

obg
Senior

Post by obg » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

It's more of an RIP than an RPI!
They may not be great, but they won't be boring!