Game 23 - URI

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Feato
Senior

Game 23 - URI

Post by Feato » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:18 pm

in case no one knows yet, UMass lost 73-66.

Back & forth game for the most part like before, until it got ugly after the 13:17 mark of the 2nd half...URI pulls away, UMass chucks 3's, they don't go, figure out the rest...

Maxwell one of his best games w/17, Vigg 11, Freeman 10 before fouling out, & Anderson 19.

Bowers was out of it..4 points and didn't attempt his first shot until just over 6 minutes left in the game...

Destroyed on the glass tonight 40-28; and killed in the paint 44-28

Box up hopefully sometime tonight...

Oh and very very nice ceremony for Al Skinner at halftime; Dr. J got the best ovation of the night....:)
MF

I'm a professional smartass.

chuff
Senior

Post by chuff » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:58 pm

The guys looked tired, at times made critical defensive mistakes. They were getting killed on the boards. We outshot RI, but URI's offensive boards killed us.

As things began to worsen around 12 min in the second, we began to force a three point offense. We had Clark with 4 fouls, and Hazelton had 3, yet we continued to use a perimeter offense. In fact, early in the second half, Clark got his 3rd foul. But I didn't see us go after him. Freeman, for his part, quickly got into foul trouble himself. There were a few glimmers of hope as the clock wound down. Pressing, AA stole an inbounds after a made hoop, and Bowers put it in to make it down 10 with something like 3 min left. Then within a min. or so, Freeman decided to play defense beyond the three point line and commited his 5th foul. By that time, it had been fairly well established that Hazelton could do whatever he wanted with Lasme. Game set match URI.

Really, there was a sense of inevitability when RI hit a three at about 12 min left, to give them a 7 pt lead. Up to then, we had been hanging tough.

Hardly ever during the last 10 min. did we give people a touch in the pivot, even when it was there. Instead, we'd jack up a 3 that would generally miss, and we wouldn't get the rebound. We never went with both Freeman and Lasme, but did put in Martin. Admittedly, we had hardly any success down low earlier. Freeman and Lasme would get swarmed in the RI zone. In spite of that, as often as not, they would still try to get some sort of shot off rather than locating an open guy. But they did get fouled Eight of Freeman's ten were free throws. Then, rather than keeping that up, we went outside. Go figure.

I felt bad for the team, because they really looked beat at the end. A lot of effort, no result. I do like these guys. They just look a little lost at times.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:26 pm

chuff wrote:They were getting killed on the boards. We outshot RI, but URI's offensive boards killed us.
Hmmmm. I wonder where the URI players learned that from??

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:52 pm

A very dissapointing performance. Of the 12 A10 teams we are #10 ahead of onlu the Bonnies and Fordham.
I see no reason to think we are heading in the right direction. Didn't we just beat URI on the road.
I don't want to hear this young bit, BC is young 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores starting and they will be in the NCAA's and we won't get past Wednesday in the A10 tournament.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:06 am

Box and the canned AP feed are up now.

The game was good right up until the part where the Minutemen fell asleep in the second half. The 17 offensive Ram boards was the killer.

Rhody used their big men effectively on Ray Ray, who was limited to 4 FGAs, but he went 8-12 from the stripe. Nice line for AA, no turnovers. Lasme had another nice game in the block department, but he got no rebounds, and took no shots, I can't decide which is worse.

UmAstudent
Senior

Post by UmAstudent » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:08 am

vanmeter wrote:A very dissapointing performance. Of the 12 A10 teams we are #10 ahead of onlu the Bonnies and Fordham.
I see no reason to think we are heading in the right direction. Didn't we just beat URI on the road.
I don't want to hear this young bit, BC is young 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores starting and they will be in the NCAA's and we won't get past Wednesday in the A10 tournament.
We start 3 freshman 1 sophmore and 1 jr. I dont know where your other sophmore came from.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:09 am

The AP story leads off with this sentence:

"Rhode Island went on a 14-2 second-half run, propelling the Rams to a 73-66 victory over Massachusetts on Wednesday night."

An all-too familiar sentence in these here parts. We rarely have an answer to opponent's runs.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:12 am

UmAstudent wrote:
vanmeter wrote:I don't want to hear this young bit, BC is young 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores starting and they will be in the NCAA's and we won't get past Wednesday in the A10 tournament.
We start 3 freshman 1 sophmore and 1 jr. I dont know where your other sophmore came from.
vanmeter was discussing BC's lineup.

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:20 am

Anybody see Chadwick's baskets? That kid has some great moves to the hoop. One of his baskets was breathtaking (double pump to the hoop?..not sure about the vocab to describe it). Wish he would drive more often...he's one of the best on this team at finishing in traffic. I still think he should be starting. Then we'd have only two freshmen starting. I guess the young team excuse wouldn't sound as good :?

UmAstudent
Senior

Post by UmAstudent » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:36 am

harbo wrote:
UmAstudent wrote:
vanmeter wrote:I don't want to hear this young bit, BC is young 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores starting and they will be in the NCAA's and we won't get past Wednesday in the A10 tournament.
vanmeter was discussing BC's lineup.
Alright then I can comment on that as well. BC will not make the NCAA's.

The Great Herndini
Sophomore

Post by The Great Herndini » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:36 am

Great photos, Mike. It really seems like the crowd was much bigger than what's been posted.

UmAstudent
Senior

Post by UmAstudent » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:40 am

DEM wrote:Anybody see Chadwick's baskets? That kid has some great moves to the hoop. One of his baskets was breathtaking (double pump to the hoop?..not sure about the vocab to describe it). Wish he would drive more often...he's one of the best on this team at finishing in traffic. I still think he should be starting. Then we'd have only two freshmen starting. I guess the young team excuse wouldn't sound as good :?
There would only be 2 freshman starting but their would still be three new players starting. You will not hear the end of their youth till next year. Just think what the team would look like if all of our new players werent so up and down. Maxwell, if he puts in a good game vs Fordham, will be A10 rookie of the week again. That would be the 8th week a UMass player won the award. When they start become more consistant we will start to blow teams out that we should and win close games vs good teams.

Orange Julius
Senior

Post by Orange Julius » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:27 am

UmAstudent wrote:
Alright then I can comment on that as well. BC will not make the NCAA's.
What makes you so sure about this? They are 17-8 right now and play Rutgers, St. John's and and Va Tech at home and PC on the road. Conservatively they'll be 19-10 or most likely 20-9 headed into the BET and say they go 1-1 there to put them at 20-11 or 21-10. They finish 8-8 or 9-7 in the conference and currently have an RPI around 25 or so. I hate BC but to say what you did above shows you really aren't paying attention son.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:40 am

Happy thoughts. The coach is swell. The team is playing awesome. They're soooo young. Four of the starters have won rookie of the week in their careers so I'm very confident they'll be winning February next year. Next year's going to be awesome.

long time/first time
Junior

Post by long time/first time » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:47 am

Youth and a short bench appear to be taking a toll. Decent effort, but we came up short. I'll leave the sarcasm for others. Go UMass!
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.- Barry Goldwater