Alternatives

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
gui98
Junior

Post by gui98 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:23 pm

to quote DEM: [b]"Glenn Miller from Brown has a very good history of overachieving at the schools he has coached at"[/b]

I don't think miller is a savior I just think it is an interesting comparison to the prevalent underacheiving of coach steve. It would be interesting to see a coach with a talented team like ours get them to play up to thier level (because these kids ARE talented, correct, even though they are young) ..and lose by like 10 to Xaivier on the road..

Minutemaniac74
Senior

Post by Minutemaniac74 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:06 pm

nale wrote:
Minutemaniac74 wrote:so what exactly makes everyone here think that Miller would be a savior to the program? His 17-12 record last year, or his 10-11 record this year?
Minutemanic74
What makes you think EVERYONE thinks Miller would be a savior?
Just because one person (DEM) talks about him as a possible replacement
for Lappas doesn't mean EVERYONE thinks he is a savior. Not even DEM called him a savior.
OK, let me correct what I said....what makes some people think he's capable of coming in here and fixing this program? DEM isn't the only person to discuss Miller....his name has been mentioned in numerous threads here. I would just like to know what he brings to the table, as opposed to what we have now. While it's apparent to many people in here that we need to go in another direction, making a coaching change just for the sake of making one does not guarantee improvement (witness the last three seasons).

gui98
Junior

Post by gui98 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:28 pm

I hear ya on that, I guess i am just frustrated with the trend of underacheiving...and maybe my thinking has overwhelmed myself as "anybody but steve". I get cranky around tournament time when everyone else is excited about theier prospects and my team isnt even a blip on the radar. being down here in pc country with every fired up about where the friars are going to be seeded.

I know rebuilding takes time, I just like to see solid trends of improvment and that does not include uri fordham rider and then 20pts. to X.

I'm grumpy.

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:00 pm

[quote="Minutemaniac74
OK, let me correct what I said....what makes some people think he's capable of coming in here and fixing this program? DEM isn't the only person to discuss Miller....his name has been mentioned in numerous threads here. I would just like to know what he brings to the table, as opposed to what we have now. While it's apparent to many people in here that we need to go in another direction, making a coaching change just for the sake of making one does not guarantee improvement (witness the last three seasons).[/quote]

OK MM74 that makes prefect sense to me.
Just one of my personal nitpicks.
It's just the everyone thing drives me nuts me everytime I see it.
Whenever one or two people express an opinion on a forum other poeple start posts by saying EVERYONE here says/thinks blank.

I to would like to know why people think of Miller as a possiblilty.
I have read his name a few times but never was 'savior' connected with him. He is just one of hundreds of possible replacements if Lappas gets dumped. Which I don't think will happen until after next season if things don't improve.
"This is my dream job''

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:06 pm

I want anyone besides scubba steve! :lol: We have sunk to new lows and this needs to end ASAP. Go Zoomass!

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:36 pm

nale wrote: I to would like to know why people think of Miller as a possiblilty.
Well, like Gui said, his teams overachieve. He is doing great things at Brown University, a school with no basketball tradition. They've had record-breaking seasons (win totals) the past few years. They are right now competing with Princeton for the conference title.

Wiggum
Junior

Post by Wiggum » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:06 pm

I'm not arguing against Miller, but nothing that's happened at Brown jumps out at me to indicate anything great has happened. Clearly there's been improvement, but the team is 9-11 right now. There aren't a bunch of upstart victories against teams that they shouldn't beat (though their propensity for beating Central Connecticut State is intriguing...)

What beyond the record should we know about this guy?

DEM
Senior

Post by DEM » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:33 pm

They are having an off year overall at 10-11, but they are 6-2 in the conference and in second place behind Princeton and ahead of Penn. Here is a link of Miller's bio:

http://brownbears.ocsn.com/sports/m-bas ... len00.html

Is he the best one out there for us? Who knows. He's just one suggestion. I personally believe there are many coaches out there (including Miller) who could do more with what we have than the current coach.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:52 pm

A trademark four-guard, run-and-gun offense! I'm more a fan of defensive prowess than offensive output (offense sells tickets and defense wins championships, and all that). But get the right athletes in and you can make the other team try to keep up with you.

Minutemaniac74
Senior

Post by Minutemaniac74 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:55 am

harbo wrote:A trademark four-guard, run-and-gun offense! I'm more a fan of defensive prowess than offensive output (offense sells tickets and defense wins championships, and all that). But get the right athletes in and you can make the other team try to keep up with you.
Didn't GW try this approach under Tom Penders? It didn't work out all that well for them. (speaking of GW...nice win over Dayton tonight!)

gui98
Junior

Post by gui98 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:32 am

Isnt hobbs doing the run and gun thing at gw now? I like that g-dub team.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:35 am

All this 'alternatives' talk is NOT happy. The coach is swell. We shouldn't be talking about 'alternatives'.

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:20 pm

Heaven forbid we stick with a system that relies on chucking up three-pointers, ignores the inside game and puts no emphasis on tough defense to create turnovers and fast-break opportunities.