Rules regarding recruiting

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

Rules regarding recruiting

Post by MikeUMA » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:46 pm

There's often discussion here about recruits that may be thinking about coming to UMass. Before you post info here about recruits, please familiarize yourself with the rules.

http://umassathletics.collegesports.com ... les-2.html

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Got game in 7th grade? NCAA says you’re a prospect
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:23 pm

It's really pretty disgraceful what is happening in recruiting

wsjer88
Sophomore

Post by wsjer88 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:25 am

Thats absolutely ridiculous. How do they know a 7th grader would even pan out? The kids are 12-13, when I was that young I sure as hell wasn't thinking about what college I was going to go to, nevermind whether or not I would be playing DI basketball...

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:48 am

I guess now we have to say "don't buy that 7th grader a Happy Meal and pitch going to UMass while doing it".

Rotorhead

Post by Rotorhead » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:05 pm

that is quite the set of rules considering who is identified as a representative of UMass athletics.

for those of us who are season ticket holders there is a lot of room to get involved in controversy.

thanks for posting that information. It makes you think about the issues that could arise in speaking to a player/parent in the neighborhood.
It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand.
Native Proverb

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:00 pm

Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:42 pm

^
Changes for coaches. No change to the policy regarding fans/boosters, and that's what we need to know.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:05 am

Would you have rather I started a new thread for this, Mike? I figured this is a good place for this stuff as well.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Refuse2Lose83
Hall of Fame

Post by Refuse2Lose83 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:09 pm

So how many coaches turn into the guy from "The Cable Guy" rerentlessly calling kids? haha
Hire Matt McCall!

baseline47
Senior

Cal

Post by baseline47 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:32 pm

I don't get it. How does Cal recruit for Kentucky?

This year he has 6 H.S. All Americans. Quite possibly, 3, 4, or 5 of these players will opt for the NBA. So, he'll have up to 5 scholarships available for next year's team; however, he won't know for sure who's leaving until they declare for the draft (after the NCAA tournament). But, next year's freshmen class (certainly the "All Americans") are already "locked up", i.e., committed to a school. He can't offer a scholarship until he knows for sure he'll have a vacancy. Or, can he? I wonder how he does it?

Also, "Academic progress" or, more to the point, failure to achieve academic progress (towards a degree?). Didn't UConn get nailed for this? Not that I'd ever feel sorry for UConn, but I have a difficult time getting a handle on the NCAA winking at the "One and Done" philosophy at Kentucky (and other schools!!) vs the seemingly contradictory "academic progress" standard. :?
"Drive the line!", "Baseline" Givens, Spfld. Tech. High.

MikeEsq
Senior

Post by MikeEsq » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:00 pm

They make academic progress, baseline. According to this, the graduation rate is 80% at UK and was 44% a few years ago, and even the one-and-dones were serious students, according to anecdotal evidence. From no less an authority than the Chronicle for Higher Education:

http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/what ... yers/34473

It's the old saying: you know what you do when you assume. You make an...

TheOFFSeason
Senior

Re: Cal

Post by TheOFFSeason » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:15 am

Cal has 15 players on the roster but only 12 are on scholarship(you can give 13). 2 of them are Seniors that will be leaving(and graduating) so that leaves him with 3 to give for next year and he signed 4 guys, however Randle has said he is going pro no matter what so Cal will be within the limit. Young will be leaving too...and 1-4 others have the possibility of leaving...most likely he will be under the scholarship limit again next year. As for APR, the athlete just has to be passing the amount of classes that he should for the year that he is...if the guys that leave early drop out of classes after the NCAA's then they would effect the APR negatively but he makes a deal with them when he signs them that they will finish the spring semester. He also recruits good kids for the most part that want to do well in school while they are there.

There is too much 'bad information' out there regarding all of this and the average fan looks at what Cal does and can't understand it so they think he is whats wrong with college hoops.

baseline47 wrote:I don't get it. How does Cal recruit for Kentucky?

This year he has 6 H.S. All Americans. Quite possibly, 3, 4, or 5 of these players will opt for the NBA. So, he'll have up to 5 scholarships available for next year's team; however, he won't know for sure who's leaving until they declare for the draft (after the NCAA tournament). But, next year's freshmen class (certainly the "All Americans") are already "locked up", i.e., committed to a school. He can't offer a scholarship until he knows for sure he'll have a vacancy. Or, can he? I wonder how he does it?

Also, "Academic progress" or, more to the point, failure to achieve academic progress (towards a degree?). Didn't UConn get nailed for this? Not that I'd ever feel sorry for UConn, but I have a difficult time getting a handle on the NCAA winking at the "One and Done" philosophy at Kentucky (and other schools!!) vs the seemingly contradictory "academic progress" standard. :?

69MG
Hall of Fame

Re: Cal

Post by 69MG » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:36 am

TheOFFSeason wrote:Cal has 15 players on the roster but only 12 are on scholarship(you can give 13). 2 of them are Seniors that will be leaving(and graduating) so that leaves him with 3 to give for next year and he signed 4 guys, however Randle has said he is going pro no matter what so There is too much 'bad information' out there regarding all of this and the average fan looks at what Cal does and can't understand it so they think he is whats wrong with college hoops.
Cal has stated many times that he is in favor of 2 years and done, not one and done. He didn't create this rule, he is just the best at working with it and most of the criticism is born from jealousy.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: Rules regarding recruiting

Post by Old Cage » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:53 am

I don't know if there is anything new here, but this was just posted by Kim Callicoatte, our compliance person:

https://sites.google.com/site/umasscomp ... dia-guides

"A booster should never contact a prospect to encourage him to attend UMass."
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."