Game 21 - Dayton

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:28 pm

I think UMass02 brought it up before, and I hadn't really thought about it, but the basketball team doesn't have any giveaways. And if there is one thing college students love, it's free stuff. It's sad, but if they were to give away free t-shirts during a weeknight home game, you would probably see 500-1,000 more students.

UMass02
Senior

Post by UMass02 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:32 pm

College students love "free s#@t" as some refer to it. Giveaways are used to hook people onto a product. Once they are hooked onto it, you can stop the giveaways. That's what's happening with hockey. Once they get hooked and show up en masse without incentive, they will cease the freebies. Gotta love positive reinforcement.

AlPatino
Junior

Post by AlPatino » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:47 pm

Reminds me of getting up in time for my 8:00 psych lab to teach a rat to press a bar. But... whatever floats their boat. :?
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:14 am

78 wrote:
Anyone know what the sign man's sign about the "Wright stuff" is all about?
I do. :lol:

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:49 am

UMass02 wrote:College students love "free s#@t" as some refer to it. Giveaways are used to hook people onto a product. Once they are hooked onto it, you can stop the giveaways. That's what's happening with hockey. Once they get hooked and show up en masse without incentive, they will cease the freebies. Gotta love positive reinforcement.

The only thing the hockey promotions are doing is getting people their early, and not waiting till 745 and were half way through the game

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:10 am

SignMan wrote:
78 wrote:
Anyone know what the sign man's sign about the "Wright stuff" is all about?
I do. :lol:
The sign was made for the 1998 UMass-Dayton game...
The Wright Stuff...ala...the excellent movie, The Right Stuff, about the beginning of our astronaut program.
Dayton "Flyers," Dayton the home of bicycle makers Wilbur and Orville Wright.
Dayton is also home to Wright Patterson AFB and Wright State University.
:idea:

Hall of Fame

Post by 78 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:23 am

Whoops -- sorry about that. Chris Chadwick is a much better athlete than Chris Chandler. That said, he still should be the starting point guard with AA at the 2.

I also am wondering why Gabe Lee was not on the bench. Anyone have any insight?
Bamford has erased McCutcheon

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:29 am

I do not have time to read all 5 pages of posts so if this is already out there sorry about that.

That was about 35 very good minutes of effort and smart play; however the last 5 minutes were not so smart.

They just stopped moving the ball inside the arc (with a pass or dribble). That almost became their game to lose, they platyed good defense down the stretch, but could not capitalize on any of the many misses Dayton had.

They got good a lot of good open looks for three but when you are only down 2 to 5 points under five minutes. but they were almost in desperation mode and it was only a one or two possession game? It was hard tro see from my angle but, I really didn't think the coach was telling them do do otherwise???

Great effort by Viggs (and the whole team really)!

SFL89
Sophomore

Post by SFL89 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:47 am

:D :D OK, so I'll post my happy thoughts on this thread too! I'm so proud of our guys, they PLAYED the whole game (ok, except some poor decisions in the last minutes), they didn't look "scared to win" in the second half, and they made a BIG, mature team work hard for the W. Some of the bobbles were frustrating (aren't they always), but Viggs diving for the ball, Lasme swatting the ball from the BIG guys, what a great job!! Anyone think that perhaps one of the reasons why Freeman and Bowers had tough games was because perhaps Dayton was going after them in particular..?? Our bench boys really stepped in. I'd have loved a W, but this was basketball I loved watching.

GO UMASS!!!!

FRDreams
Sophomore

Post by FRDreams » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:05 am

I am very happy with the effort I saw in yesterdays game. I figured that by this time of the season they would have packed it in and they have not and deserve credit for that.

Things I liked besides the effort was the emergence of Lasme. This kid is getting better everyday and has the athletic ability to do some damage down low. Viggs another solid effort and is doing a number on the boards and because of that it is keeping us in the game. AA solid effort. Chadwick really finding his niche. Has a better shot and athletic ability than I thought he had. I liked the way we worked the ball around and waited for an open look in the first half.

Things that went wrong for us was our shooting. Max and Bowers should try to take it to the hoop on days the shot is not falling and hope to get to the line. I think we got impatient at times and shot too early a couple of times. The refs were f-in awful. Especially the time AA got molested going to the basket in the first half and happened to finish it.

The coaching seemed better aside for the last minute or so. There big men especially Finn were shooting horrible and we should have taken advantage of that. I think our defensive schemes worked pretty well and had them confused for a while.

Overall I thought this was a good effort and the bill sounded loud at times on tv. Hopefully this will give the team some more confidence for there up coming opponents and steals a few more w's. Go Zoomass!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:36 am

I spoke with the Dayton fans a bit...they did not look like player/coach family...whatever that means...they were their typical traveling fans from the Dayton area.

Interestingly, one of them asked if I still have Tyrone Weeks signs and if I had one with me yesterday (I didn't..URI games only)...

nale
Hall of Fame

Post by nale » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:31 pm

UMass02 wrote:
I agree. It's sad. It's a reflection of student life. Students don't feel much "school spirit," or at least they didn't when I graduated a few years ago. Most on-campus students just get up, shower, go to class (and read the collegian at the same time :roll: ), grab lunch, go to class, go to work, go to dinner, cruise the net / watch TV / homework, go to bed. On the weekends, just delete the references to "class" and insert "party" after the reference to homework.
Sounds much different then when I was in school. Most of the students I knew got up, went to lunch, partied, went to dinner, partied. :lol:
We managed to get to the games dispite our busy schedules. :wink:

The only TV I watched in four years was Monday night football. Life with
thousands of other students was to much fun to waste in front of a TV.
"This is my dream job''

zultr
Sophomore

Post by zultr » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:53 pm

Now that I think of it, I cannot ever remember watching tv while in the dorms. I went to the lounge with cable for a couple of Celtics games and that's it.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:27 pm

78 wrote:I also am wondering why Gabe Lee was not on the bench. Anyone have any insight?
I noticed that he wasn't there for the last home game either. Could it be that he had the surgery on his ankle done recently :?:
zultr wrote:Now that I think of it, I cannot ever remember watching tv while in the dorms....
Yeah...back when I was matriculating, :wink: , most students didn't have TV's in their rooms, there was no such thing as a PC and there were no co-ed dorms, so kids had to get out of their rooms and leave the dorms to have any fun. I don't remember the lounges having cable either. I was happy enough that the TV's in the lounges were color!! I didn't have cable until I moved off campus. There were fewer options for students then. Going to games was something we looked forward to.

Times were different, that's for sure. Now the team has to win, be on TV, or there have to be give-aways in order for the game to even be on students' radar screens.

I mean, really, what else is there for students to do on a Sunday afternoon in February at 2pm...study? :roll: Give me a break....
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:50 pm

got me... but when i tell people to go to the games, they laugh and ask "why would i ever watch the basketball team play"

so who knows
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades