Game 6: Syracuse

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Chris20
Hall of Fame

Post by Chris20 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:05 pm

Over 45% from 3......that's not asking for much.

We win if that happens.

UMASSalum
Junior

Post by UMASSalum » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:55 pm

I like our chances if we don't shoot like we did in the first half against N. Iowa. You look at a team like Siena (Who did just upset Stanford). I think their style similar to ours, and they played 'Cuse tough. We're going to have to put up points, because 'Cuse can score, and we dont' play much defense, but I think we have more than a shot to win - if we can drop our 3's.

Orange Julius
Senior

Post by Orange Julius » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:10 pm

I think we can generalize already at this early stage. If we don't make threes against decent teams we aren't going to win. We get beat on the boards every game and we have no consistent inside threat at all.

shovelhd
Hall of Fame

Post by shovelhd » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:32 pm

I agree with the lack of consistency inside, but we took a few strides in the WGB game. Gaffney is a capable rebounder at both ends as long as he can get into position. Milligan also did a much better job inside. How well that gain will carry over to a Big East team with size, we'll have to see.

In the second half of the WGB game we played more team defense. When WGB brought the ball down, we would show a 2-3 zone and then switch into man, and that led to turnovers by shutting down the passing lanes on the fly. At times it looked like the matchup zone that Chaney used to use. It probably won't fool a coach like Boeheim for long, but it might help to get us a lead or get back into a game.

krkess
Senior

Post by krkess » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:21 pm

I will like UMass' chances a lot more next year when Syracuse plays in Amherst to finish off the home and home arrangement.
:shock:

twisters tavern
Junior

Post by twisters tavern » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:27 pm

krkess wrote:I will like UMass' chances a lot more next year when Syracuse plays in Amherst to finish off the home and home arrangement.
Yeah! That will be a good one to watch on TV. :shock: :shock:

DeefNasty
Junior

Post by DeefNasty » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:48 pm

I hope we don't choke against the 2-3 zone...we have been hot from downtown this season, which usually translates well vs a zone. I want to see us try to collapse the zone and then send the ball out to the 3 pt line and do some damage out there.

chlaur1
Junior

Post by chlaur1 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:05 pm

I hope we don't choke against the 2-3 zone...we have been hot from downtown this season, which usually translates well vs a zone. I want to see us try to collapse the zone and then send the ball out to the 3 pt line and do some damage out there.
Agreed! The best way to do that is to have a healthy CLowe.

shovelhd
Hall of Fame

Post by shovelhd » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:24 pm

Our passing game has been good even without Lowe.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:53 pm

krkess wrote:I will like UMass' chances a lot more next year when Syracuse plays in Amherst to finish off the home and home arrangement.
Is it a home and home series? I would be surprised if it is as they load up their early schedule with home games. I remember one year they played most of their non league games at home and did not play away until it was one of their league oponents. They probably still do.

DrG
Senior

Post by DrG » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:12 pm

I think the smilies conveyed some sarcasm. Boeheim will travel to Pluto before he travels to Amherst.

Rocks22
Hall of Fame

Post by Rocks22 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:56 pm

I believe this is UPluto's mascot:

I don't think you want to see a picture of UUranus' mascot.

Chizzle
Senior

Post by Chizzle » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:36 pm

chlaur1 wrote:
Agreed! The best way to do that is to have a healthy CLowe.
Looking back on the Green Bay game..... I am very happy that CLowe didn't play. It gives him a great two weeks of not playing in a game. I know he is probably practicing but at least he is being monitored and taking it a lot easier than he would in a game.

Hopefully he is ready for the SU game.... you know how an ankle heals.
#LovesIt

philosopher
Hall of Fame

Post by philosopher » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:34 pm

What are the odds that 'Cuse goes Zags or Ky. on us and cancels, excuse me, buys out their date at the Bill? I would not bet against that unless there is some clause in the contract that extracts a very heavy penalty.

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:31 pm

philosopher wrote:What are the odds that 'Cuse goes Zags or Ky. on us and cancels, excuse me, buys out their date at the Bill? I would not bet against that unless there is some clause in the contract that extracts a very heavy penalty.
There is no return game.