Enough is Enough

Anything and everything that is UMass Minutemen Basketball.
Wiggum
Junior

Post by Wiggum » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:46 pm

Ok, just so people understand, I don't think anyone has a serious problem with the chant in and of itself (though I personally think it should replaced with "U-MASS" instead of "You Suck" - it would be unique to our school and not nearly as classless).

But the issue is that when our program is bottoming out like this and we're getting beaten by teams that we used to snicker at, it only amplifies the embarassment when the fans reduce themselves to ludicrously inaccurate taunts. That's it. It just makes fans look ridiculous, not because of the chant, but because of the current situtation. Especially when we're losing.

But, others see it differently and that's just how it goes sometimes.
Last edited by Wiggum on Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

pierce34
Junior

Post by pierce34 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:46 pm

haha, well said mike....innervisions, i respect the fact you're a fan and how much you support the team, i really do. it's too bad just over 2k showed up for the game tonight, pretty disgraceful...anyway, guy, i am curious to know how the hell you manage to put up close to 900 posts. i swear to god i probably check this board every day once to see what people have to say, and you're ALWAYS in the mix somehow. do you ever EVER do anything else but post messages on this board? don't get me kid, i actually agree with some of the shit you say. i'm only 21, a senior, and i'm still trying to be optimistic about this year (until tonight), but i'm starting to see what all these people have to say. maybe the future ain't that bright. i mean this gary neal kid tonight dropped 26 on us. he averages 22 a game and he's a SOPHOMORE. yea, our guys are young, but so is he. and he plays for la salle. i like to think we have good talent, but maybe we really don't. maybe it's because i'm a fan and i like our players and i want them to do well. but when la salle comes in and hands it to us like they did tonight, i've almost lost hope. almost feel like packin it in and waiting for the team to be a contender. it's tough to follow this shit. anyway though, innervisions, you gotta chill with the posts man. find somethin else to do with your time. this can't be healthy. good luck to you

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:53 pm

also i do not think the 12 year olds were getting as good of seats as you had, you might of heard their preadsolent vocies up in QQ or something.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:02 am

What Wiggum said.

And PLEASE don't chant "Overated" when St. Joe's comes to town until we have an insurmountable lead late in the second half. No other time is appropriate. Their fans can counter that with a chant of "Playing for seeding"

clap clap clap-clap-clap

Wiggum
Junior

Post by Wiggum » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:08 am

IV, boisterous leader that you are, do you think you could get the chant to switch over to U-Mass instead of You Suck? Do you recognize the benefit in that?

That'd be pretty bad-assed if you could change the way the school chants and start a tradition that continues for years. I'm just sayin'...

UmAstudent
Senior

Post by UmAstudent » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:24 am

Well seems there is prob 7 people doing the chant right now I dont think it would be hard to change. When I went to the games as a kid thats what we use to chant.(meaning U Mass)

THE ZOO
Freshman

Post by THE ZOO » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:56 am

pierce34 said it perfectly; we are all fans here, but maybe not to the extent of some of you. Not that we don't bleed maroon and white, but if that means making an ass of yourself than count me out. This team has been so over hipped by everyone it's unreal. We have no really good player let alone a great player. Please don't try to defend Anderson or freeman because they have proven against good competition that they are nothing better than a third or fourth option on any decent team. Freeman has only his left and performs the same moves irregardless if he is being d'ed up by 1 man or 4. he gets his points against decent teams in garbage minutes. It is getting hard to stay positive when every post is negative and the only thing worse is the coaches and players. I will continue to go to the games, but the thought of a positive future is getting flushed down the toilet with each and every game.

Used to be VOR
Hall of Fame

Post by Used to be VOR » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:23 am

Wiggum wrote:IV, boisterous leader that you are, do you think you could get the chant to switch over to U-Mass instead of You Suck? Do you recognize the benefit in that?

That'd be pretty bad-assed if you could change the way the school chants and start a tradition that continues for years. I'm just sayin'...
I have to agree with Wiggy on this one. To chant U-Suck even in the best of times I think is a little class-less. But thats just me. But to chant it when we are losing is just stupid. I also got a kick out of how last night people were taunting Gary Neal and saying how he sucked, while he dropped 26 on us.

Maybe we should chant positive things to the other team, it might throw them off. (kidding of course)

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:18 am

If "they suck" and beat us by 14 what does that mean about us?????????

We REALLY REALLY REALLY SUCK?

That is almost as stupid as some moron doing a touchdown dance after he cut the lead to 41-7.

Innervisions you need to find a better way to spend your free time...

SJM01
Sophomore

Post by SJM01 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:56 am

Wiggum wrote:Ok, just so people understand, I don't think anyone has a serious problem with the chant in and of itself (though I personally think it should replaced with "U-MASS" instead of "You Suck" - it would be unique to our school and not nearly as classless).

But the issue is that when our program is bottoming out like this and we're getting beaten by teams that we used to snicker at, it only amplifies the embarassment when the fans reduce themselves to ludicrously inaccurate taunts. That's it. It just makes fans look ridiculous, not because of the chant, but because of the current situtation. Especially when we're losing.

But, others see it differently and that's just how it goes sometimes.
Wow...I actually agree with Wiggum here 100%! Ok this is weird...

I couldn't have said it any better myself. I lump that kind of delusional behavior in with those who continue to argue that the future of this program looks good.....GRRRRRRRR. Wake up!!

Acting cocky and carrying a swagger when you suck as bad as we do is TOTALLY EMBARRASSING.

But I must say, I wish worrying about what chants people use at games was actually high on the list of problems this program faces...that might mean we're actually getting something done on the court :cry: This is awful.

SJM01
Sophomore

Post by SJM01 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:01 am

THE ZOO wrote:pierce34 said it perfectly; we are all fans here, but maybe not to the extent of some of you. Not that we don't bleed maroon and white, but if that means making an ass of yourself than count me out. This team has been so over hipped by everyone it's unreal. We have no really good player let alone a great player. Please don't try to defend Anderson or freeman because they have proven against good competition that they are nothing better than a third or fourth option on any decent team. Freeman has only his left and performs the same moves irregardless if he is being d'ed up by 1 man or 4. he gets his points against decent teams in garbage minutes. It is getting hard to stay positive when every post is negative and the only thing worse is the coaches and players. I will continue to go to the games, but the thought of a positive future is getting flushed down the toilet with each and every game.
WOW...somebody else actually had the guts to question just how good Anthony Anderson is on this board??? I admire you...now get ready to be lynched.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:52 pm

SJM01 wrote:But I must say, I wish worrying about what chants people use at games was actually high on the list of problems this program faces...that might mean we're actually getting something done on the court :cry: This is awful.

you couldnt be more right.. it is a sad state of affairs we are in right now

and if you want mike, i can just go post once in a nwew thread and then edit it over and over to respond to what people say that way i dont keep adding more posts... if thats what makes you happy of course

Wiggum
Junior

Post by Wiggum » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:08 pm

SJM01 wrote:But I must say, I wish worrying about what chants people use at games was actually high on the list of problems this program faces...
It's certainly not high on the list, but it's one of the precious few things that can actually be changed by just deciding to change it. The team can't just decide to shoot better or pass better, but fans can just decide to chant "U-Mass" instead of "You Suck".

Wiggum
Junior

Post by Wiggum » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:10 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote:and if you want mike, i can just go post once in a nwew thread and then edit it over and over to respond to what people say that way i dont keep adding more posts... if thats what makes you happy of course
I'm really not picking on you, though I can see how it seems it, but I have to ask... is missing the point of virtually every post about your behavior a source of pride for you?

SJM01
Sophomore

Post by SJM01 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:55 pm

Wiggum wrote:
SJM01 wrote:But I must say, I wish worrying about what chants people use at games was actually high on the list of problems this program faces...
It's certainly not high on the list, but it's one of the precious few things that can actually be changed by just deciding to change it. The team can't just decide to shoot better or pass better, but fans can just decide to chant "U-Mass" instead of "You Suck".
I totally agree.