Conference realignment.....lax edition

Home for talk about the 2006 National Finalist UMass Men's Lacrosse.
Kosty
Hall of Fame

Conference realignment.....lax edition

Post by Kosty » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:58 pm

So word comes out today that Hop is joining the Big Ten for lax. Interesting. That gives them the 6 teams they need for an auto. On top of Denver moving from ECAC to Big Least, thus giving them the number of teams needed (I believe) in the next year or two to get an auto. The ACC remains on the outside looking in however with 5 teams (once all the defections happen in the next two years). <<insert>>

Jackman
Senior

Post by Jackman » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:12 am

Most conferences are now going to be down to the minimum 6 members needed to get an AQ, and I think only the Patriot League will have more than 7 members. That creates a fragile situation. If a single program gets nervous and heads for safer ground, that could set off a scramble. In this case, the A10 not sponsoring men's lacrosse is an advantage, because it frees us to negotiate with any conference we please. So if something screwy does happen, UMass will be able to move more quickly than the teams with full conference affiliations.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:42 am

The problem becomes all the auto bids are going to eat up any at large bids and thus making the tourney that much harder for all. I would think that the lax committee would look to expand the tourney in the near future, much like the women's tourney did. Problem becomes, lax already has the most teams making it to the tourney, percentage wise, vs. teams that play D1. Do they further make it so that a larger percentage of teams that play D1 make it? Does that make men's lax look bad because so many of the teams that play make the tourney?

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:51 am

^

Yeah, I'd have to think they would have to expand the tournament at some point.

Do you have a break down of how many conferences there are with auto-bids now with this new information?
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:40 am

Honestly.....I think it would end up being every conference EXCEPT the ACC and ECAC. So the list would be:

CAA
America East
Patriot
Big Ten
Big East
MAC
Ivy
Northeast
Atlantic Sun (I think I saw they were setting up a lax league and had enough teams for an AQ)

Considering that only 16 teams make the tourney, there are 9 AQs with these leagues. That's 7 at large bids. If the ACC somehow finds a way to get another team to move, that's 6 at large bids left.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:45 am

^

Tournament expansion needs to happen.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

BishopMVP
Junior

Post by BishopMVP » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Kosty wrote:Honestly.....I think it would end up being every conference EXCEPT the ACC and ECAC. So the list would be:

CAA
America East
Patriot
Big Ten
Big East
MAC
Ivy
Northeast
Atlantic Sun (I think I saw they were setting up a lax league and had enough teams for an AQ)

Considering that only 16 teams make the tourney, there are 9 AQs with these leagues. That's 7 at large bids. If the ACC somehow finds a way to get another team to move, that's 6 at large bids left.
NCAA will expand the tournament... only question is whether they go to 20 like the women's tournament or just 18 (and likely have 4 of the weaker auto-bids play play-in games). Hopkins to the Big Ten isn't effective until 2015 though, so they've got a year before they need to decide.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:03 pm

The women tried the play in thing last year right? And then they switched back to normal seeding this year.

Big10Land
Sophomore

Post by Big10Land » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:31 pm

How is it that Loyola gets into the Big 10 with just Lacrosse (and yes, I'm sure the Big 10 was itching to have Lacrosse to feed the Big 10 network) and all those years never coming to an agreement with Notre Dame (who probably would have liked all non-football sports to be in it).

This is the first and only affiliate for the conference. They could have added Notre Dame for just hockey and bagged pushing for a crappy Penn St. team.
Oh my god, they love state schools out here.

Quinn
Junior

Post by Quinn » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:09 am

Big10Land wrote:How is it that Loyola gets into the Big 10 with just Lacrosse (and yes, I'm sure the Big 10 was itching to have Lacrosse to feed the Big 10 network) and all those years never coming to an agreement with Notre Dame (who probably would have liked all non-football sports to be in it).

This is the first and only affiliate for the conference. They could have added Notre Dame for just hockey and bagged pushing for a crappy Penn St. team.
Johns Hopkins, not Loyola.

And the reason is that they are starting lacrosse sponsorship and don't have the highest quality schools. So they NEED the autobid whereas the ACC does not, since they will get 1 or more schools in each year. The B1G doesn't have that lock.

In adding JHU, it adds a school in the prime lax area along with Maryland.

In the past, with ND, the B1G wasn't looking at lacrosse. Notre Dame has been in a conference since 1995. So when the Big East started lacrosse a few years ago, ND had to join. With then now heading to the ACC, ND will be part of that 5 school conference.

Big10Land
Sophomore

Post by Big10Land » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:54 am

The B1G could have had a hockey conference a lot sooner if they invited Notre Dame (as an affiliate) instead of waiting for Penn St. I understand your point but find it amusing they brought in an affiliate for LAX.
Oh my god, they love state schools out here.

BishopMVP
Junior

Post by BishopMVP » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:01 am

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:59 am

ECAC is PORKED!!!

BishopMVP
Junior

Post by BishopMVP » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:46 pm

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2013/07/ ... tournament

Nothing concrete, but a good idea of what coaches think.

Kosty
Hall of Fame

Post by Kosty » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:17 pm

The CAA are being dicks and not letting Penn State play in the conference tournament this year as they prepare to move to the Big Ten in 2015. Although it appears that the league's coaches requested the vote.....so I guess the CAA coaches are the ones being the dicks. Classless move really.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/news/2013 ... rnament-aq