Dawley out

2022 A-10 Tournament and 2023 A-10 Regular Season Champs!
MajBugman
Senior

Re: Dawley out, new coach ?

Post by MajBugman » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:11 pm

Who they hire for this position will say a lot about the University's "new" commitment to athletics. Griffith would be the easy hire, but she has no head coaching experience that I can see.

In that vein, how about Cheryl Miller? She is 20-7 as head coach at Langston University this year.
Raise the bar, do the minimum.

bleedmaroon
Sophomore

Post by bleedmaroon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:37 pm

baseline47 wrote:Her team finished the season on an up tick. Thought it might save her.
She's been stealing from the supply room for years. But she hasn't stolen anything for the last month. Why should we fire her?

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Floyd wrote:
mlaconte459 wrote:Yolanda Griffth?? How often do you have hall of fame and Olympic gold medalist as an assistant on the staff
That would be my choice. Plus she's already familiar with the roster, school etc. Her experience is invaluable I
Except as a coach! UM has not been able to win with coaches that have won elsewhere as Head Coaches, including winning at the D1 level, so why would we hire someone who has almost no coaching experience? You do realize that coaching will be required at a place that is a career killer!

wmmmfan
Senior

Post by wmmmfan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:13 pm

UMass should look no further than west on the Mass Pike for their next coach. U Albany's Katie Abrahamson-Henderson.

She has won at two different schools Missouri State and Albany, winning the WNIT at MSU and has been to 7 NCAA tournaments as a HC. Was an assistant at Michigan State, Iowa State, Washington and Assoc. Head Coach at Indiana.

Played for Hall of Fame coach Vivian Stringer at Iowa.

Resume is tough to beat for a school like UMass and with the new facilities she could be very successful.

BostonBert
Junior

Post by BostonBert » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:54 pm

Jack wrote:Dawley went 46-133 - she should have been terminated 2 yrs ago.
Amen. She was 22-97 through her first four years. (.184 winning percentage)

MullinsManiac
Senior

Post by MullinsManiac » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:32 pm

vanmeter wrote:I am absolutely thrilled to make these moves. It tells me that there are expectations of success in these programs and Bamford is not afraid to drop the hammer. Derek is lucky he has 3 years left at 1,000,000 per year. But what this does tell me if Kellogg cannot make significant improvement in 2 years, the hammer will drop on him as well.
Agreed ... it also sends a message to Whip, Cannella, even Stefanoni (softball) that perpetual rebuilding will not be tolerated.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:44 pm

Agreed ... it also sends a message to Whip, Cannella, even Stefanoni (softball) that perpetual rebuilding will not be tolerated.[/quote]
It also starts the clock on Bamford! He will now be able to prove if he was a good hire. Everything to this point has been window dressing.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:10 pm

MajBugman wrote: In that vein, how about Cheryl Miller? She is 20-7 as head coach at Langston University this year.
Would she leave Sammy Davis Jr Drive (the actual address of LU)?

rsox1221
Senior

Post by rsox1221 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:16 am

Given that WBB isn't what you'd call a "marquee program" for UMass (or at most schools, no disrespect intended), I thought that the run at the end of the season might have saved her for her final contract year.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad she's gone, and her teams had performed terribly ever since she was hired. It had crossed my mind that it might be easier for the department to fill only one vacancy instead of two.

But I LOVE the move and the message. Bamford will not stand idly by while teams falter and fail. That's great to see, even in something as relatively small as the firing of the WBB coach. UMass demands success, and I'm thrilled.

lane one
Junior

Post by lane one » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:17 pm

I was a little surprised to see the trigger pulled this year. Hockey is a much more urgent situation than women's basketball, in the sense that while both coaches are paid about the same, hockey has a chance to bring in revenue and get students to attend games. I thought we would see a new hockey coach this year and a new women's basketball coach next year. Still, it has to be a morale killer for the other coaches on campus to have a coach be so highly paid, well supported, and have a terrible record without consequences.

My concern is that we will have a hard time attracting a candidate with a resume better than what Coach Dawley had when she came to UMass. Her success at UVM had been fantastic and she really looked like a home run hire. What went wrong? Did a former coach curse the program on the way out the door?

MassMan06
Hall of Fame

Post by MassMan06 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:36 pm

^ My recollection, which could be very off, is that people were saying her success was built on one or two great players and that her struggles in other years was more indicative of the coach she is.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:33 pm

I would not be surprised to see several good candidates apply. Maybe have to get a young coach that is showing promise. Just have to give her a reasonably short contract. Must also have a reasonably buy out clause. Actually it could also be a him you never know.

TruBluMaroon
Hall of Fame

Post by TruBluMaroon » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:04 pm

^
Wouldn't count on the "him" part.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:33 pm

Guess that UMass would never do that. The only exception was Jack Leman as an assistant.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:22 am

Whoever they hire for the HC job, they should bring on John McGraw on as an assistant. UMASS grad making his way up in the WCB world.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades