UMass apparel

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
shovelhd
Hall of Fame

Post by shovelhd » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:02 pm

Hasn't the University Store been outsourced to Follett's? If so, maybe that's the problem.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:09 pm

For a huge flagship state school, out campus store is an absolute abomination! I've been to the bookstores at UNC, FSU, and Notre Dame. There is absolutely no comparison between those stores and the one on campus in Amherst. Not to mention that in downtown Chapel Hill, every other store is selling UNC schwag.

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:09 pm

http://www.2thegame.com/2thegame_2030/index.htm

Where can I buy this or the circle hat?
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

Jackman
Senior

Post by Jackman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:02 pm

UMass'96 wrote:http://www.2thegame.com/2thegame_2030/index.htm

Where can I buy this or the circle hat?
You mean one of these?

http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store ... t_id=65713

It's got some crap under the name...

npt3
Junior

Post by npt3 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:23 pm

shovelhd wrote:Hasn't the University Store been outsourced to Follett's? If so, maybe that's the problem.
It has, but that's not the sole issue - it's the University's involvement, or lack thereof. UMass has essentially turfed everything to Follett, so we get a dog's breakfast of crappy stuff foisted upon us. OTOH, Follett runs Notre Dame's bookstore, which is an absolute palace chock with good stuff. Guess why?
"All life we work, but work is a bore. If life's for living, what's living for?" - Ray Davies

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:27 pm

shovelhd wrote:Hasn't the University Store been outsourced to Follett's? If so, maybe that's the problem.
FWIW, I was shopping there during the holidays in 06 for a UMass sweatshirt that did NOT say Amherst. The guy I talked to told me that Lombardi had directed the store not to buy anything unless it said UMass-Amherst.

There were some older sweatshirts (white letters on maroon) and long-sleeved tee shirts (white letters on maroon and maroon letters on white) that said, University of Massachusetts, but I didn't see anything else there that only had UMass on it.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

umass21
Senior

Post by umass21 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:25 pm

Quann wrote:For a huge flagship state school, out campus store is an absolute abomination! I've been to the bookstores at UNC, FSU, and Notre Dame. There is absolutely no comparison between those stores and the one on campus in Amherst. Not to mention that in downtown Chapel Hill, every other store is selling UNC schwag.
I'm sure you could add a million other schools, but I can personally attest to Penn State. Multiple stores in town selling nothing but PS gear.

hm minuteman
Freshman

Post by hm minuteman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:12 pm

not to mention Joe Pa Pasta
Maybe we could market corn flakes

UMass'96
Senior
Location: Back in the good 'ole US of A not some 3rd world shithole

Post by UMass'96 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:43 am

What did Calipari sell in his store in Amherst?
Save your breath... you'll need it to blow up your date

Wheeler
Sophomore

Post by Wheeler » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:27 am

Doesn't have to be a big school or big campus to have a good selection of school furnishings and clothing to buy. Has a lot more to do with sales and student and alumni interest and support. Went to the William and Mary football game last year. Williamsburg nice place to spend a weekend. My point is when I went to the downtown area nicer but similar to Amherst there were two or three stores that sold everything from banners to key rings. Before and after the game there were more alums than students buying William and Mary paraphernalia. I bought something with the W&M colors to remember the trip but any one of these stores had more and varied stuff than I've ever seen in Amherst. I think one of the keys is as simple as it sounds there were more peopel buying than I've seen at UMass.

shovelhd
Hall of Fame

Post by shovelhd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:51 am

It's all about selection and presentation. When you can't find much in your local stores, and what you can find, the colors don't match, the logos don't match, and the selection stinks, no wonder nobody is buying it except for us diehards. It's just another symptom of the piss poor athletic marketing at UMass, with the exception of the MSG bus trip.

npt3
Junior

Post by npt3 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:21 am

IMHO Athletics does a good job of marketing (the MSG trips are an example). Room for improvement? Absolutely. But they need more support and flexibility to really shine, and UMass overall marketing is so clueless that they will never even step out of the way to let them do their thing. It is an absolute mystery to me that UMass fails to leverage the resources of the BEST Sport Management program in the country at Isenberg.
"All life we work, but work is a bore. If life's for living, what's living for?" - Ray Davies

Wheeler
Sophomore

Post by Wheeler » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:31 am

If I remember correctly it was not so much the W&M school bookstore that had the, let's say upgraded selection rather than the typical selection we find in the bookstore. It was the private businesses that really had the selection and style beyond what the bookstore carried.

njumass08
Hall of Fame

Post by njumass08 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:08 am

I just wish they sold jerseys besides the hockey team. Luckily I found a classic football jersey on Ebay that Adidas made in the 90's.

Steve81
Hall of Fame

Post by Steve81 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:29 pm

Steve81 wrote:
CrooksisRhyming wrote:anyone know where i could score a Amherst - UMass NIT Runner-Up Tee?
What kind of umass online store do we have? It use to be up on the right side in the main basketball page. I've click the on-line store and searched by t-shirts and it's no where to be found???

Crooks you can always call the online store (800) 862-7794

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/store/?partner_id=13955
Crooks found them from a link on the basketball page with mtt.
on the right side: http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m ... l-mtt.html

link takes you to this order page and noticed this is Online Specialty Store
http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store ... r_id=14835