Moving to the Pioneer Valley?

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Plano Minuteman
Junior

Moving to the Pioneer Valley?

Post by Plano Minuteman » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:23 pm

What towns in the Amherst area would you recommend looking into?

I've lived in Colorado for the past 20 years and have pretty much done almost all of the adventures to be had here. My parents live on Cape Cod and are aging. My wife and I both work remotely and can live anywhere. I'm thinking that going back to the UMass area might be a great change of pace.
I'm not a handy person and tend to spend free time more in nature than anything else. Given that, do you have any specific areas I should look at?
Thanks!

Quann
Hall of Fame

Re: Moving to the Pioneer Valley?

Post by Quann » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:05 am

Anywhere within a half hour of Amherst is great for nature. If you want to go out in the boonies, something off 202 near the Quabbin has some beautiful spots. Not far from Route 2 there, so you can get down to the Cape in a couple hours. If you want to be near the Pike, Charlton/Sturbridge or anywhere along route 20 are nice areas and easy Pike access, a lot shorter commute to the Cape from there (during the week, Fridays will be tough getting anywhere in eastern mass). You still have lots of nature out there and close to the mecca that is Tree House Brewing if you like craft brews :D

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:16 am

Thanks for the info! We're planning on going out there in June. Am definitely making some stops at Treehouse and Trillium. I've heard that Treehouse is a must-stop!

Yeah, I was thinking something like Belchertown would be perfect if we could pull it off. Fairly close to Amherst, I-90, Quabbin area.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:33 am

There's a Tree House in South Deerfield as well. Little Feat are playing there on 8/20.

One thing to consider in your move is the fact that the further east you the higher the cost of living will be.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 pm

Sounds good. Hopefully, the Tree House in South Deerfield is good as the Mothership.

This was a pretty interesting map of real estate prices. Can't believe how affordable Adams/North Adams is. I haven't spent any time there. How is it?

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... p-map-list

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:31 pm

I drove my grandson to his hockey tournament North Adams last month. It’s too remote for me but from an exploring nature perspective it’s beautiful.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:45 pm

It's a beautiful area, but your ride to the cape will be a very long one.

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:27 am

I live in Belchertown. Hard to go wrong- close to everything (ski areas, boston, nyc, hartford, the RI beaches, etc). I can get as much culture as I want and then retreat for a while back here.

Plano Minuteman
Junior

Post by Plano Minuteman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:58 pm

yeah, Belchertown does seem like it checks a lot of boxes. I remember a couple times at UMass going up to the Quabbin for the day, very beautiful area. It also seemed to have some decent houses for sale right now.

North Adams does look beautiful, but yeah, it's a haul to get to Boston, the Cape. And I didn't find too much I liked on the housing market.

jj
The Dude

Post by jj » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:38 pm

I go to Quabbin literally every weekend with my dogs for a drive thru. It’s a ritual.

I went to college in North Adams in the 90’s. It has seen better days even though there’s an area revival going on

eldonabe
Hall of Fame

Post by eldonabe » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:26 pm

Plano Minuteman wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:23 pm What towns in the Amherst area would you recommend looking into?

I've lived in Colorado for the past 20 years and have pretty much done almost all of the adventures to be had here. My parents live on Cape Cod and are aging. My wife and I both work remotely and can live anywhere. I'm thinking that going back to the UMass area might be a great change of pace.
I'm not a handy person and tend to spend free time more in nature than anything else. Given that, do you have any specific areas I should look at?
Thanks!

Personally, I would avoid Northampton and Amherst but that depends on your politics. Hamp is Poor Liberal (who think they are rich) and Amherst is Rich Liberal (who are rich).... and they are hard liberal. I know a lot of good people in those towns, but the town politics are mind numbing.

If your epicenter is Amherst because of Umass, I would look at:

Whately - North

Belchertown - East (Brookfield is nice too)

Nothing - South/Southwest

West of Amherst is really out in the woods. If you want some peace and quiet Chesterfield/Goshen/Worthington/Cummington

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:29 pm

Westfield, Southampton and Easthampton are good too. Easy access to UMass and the Pike.

Westfield has more land than Springfield with a quarter of the population. Decent services and a Pike entrance. There’s a lot of space and it’s very quiet.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:55 pm

eldonabe wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:26 pm If you want some peace and quiet Chesterfield/Goshen/Worthington/Cummington
Is this still Massachusetts? Never heard of these places :shock:
Time to Win

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:24 pm

^ Have you heard of Florida, MA? Yes, it exists. I'd consider moving there just so I could tell people I live in Florida and go to every UMass BB game.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:32 pm

Nope, never knew there was a Florida, Ma
Time to Win