Places we ate, drank, went backstage, etc.

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
LS71
Hall of Fame

Places we ate, drank, went backstage, etc.

Post by LS71 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:48 am

Thanks for the idea Steve81.

So…all of he the talk about Judie’s made me think….what was in thst space before Judie’s?

I remember Logs from the late 60s/early 70s but i think there was another hippie var there either before after that….anyone remember?

When I was a student, I worked at the Amherst Tower, which was right next door to the Pub. We’d close at 2 am on Fridays and Saturdays to accommodate the munchies of Pub customers which closed at 1 am. The Pats worked out at UMass during the summer of 1970. Players and their entourages were regulars between 1-2 am. Wild and crazy times…and long hours of cleaning the place up after they left!
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

PintOGuinness
Junior

Re: Places we ate, drank, went backstage, etc.

Post by PintOGuinness » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:54 pm

Back in my day(late 80s/early 90s) it was the N. Pleasant Street Waltz. Start at the south end of the street, hit JBs Roast Beef for a quick snack. Over to Time Out for $1.00 drafts, then Barsies, followed by Delanos. All are gone now. :(

Continue down to Charlies, then end the evening at The Pub and if you were lucky, some hot chick from Long Island would invite you to an after hours at Townhouse. :twisted:
Word to your motha!

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:03 pm

^^^^
I was there from '99 to 2003. We still had Charlies, Delanos, the Spoke, the Pub, the Monkey Bar (only bar I hated), McMurphy's and Barsie's for uptown spots. Also the old ABC brewpub that was right across from McMurph's/Barsie's, those burgers were delicious. Does anyone remember the BYOB spot that was in the back near Bueno? It was a cool place, I think it opened around 2002-2003 but I can't remember the name of it.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:47 am

How about that Football team????? :lol:
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:00 am

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:47 am How about that Football team????? :lol:
A fair comparison is to the quality of the "mystery meat" we used to get when I was in school. Let's keep this "food related". :lol: :lol: :lol:

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:57 am

^^ :lol: :lol:

There weren't nearly as many options when I was a student.

The Hungry U, Bell's...worked there too...are two that I remember. Also Lum's upstairs from the infamous Drake! Can't forget the Drake...first bar for me at the age of 18! No one carded us when we entered. We found a $20 bill peaking at us through the peanut shells on the floor...enough for drinks all night based on prices then. 8)
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

m626t
Hall of Fame

Post by m626t » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:02 pm

^
loved the $1 personal pizza at Bells... plenty greasy as I recall; also liked the Creamery, very close to Mackimmie where I lived. Went there to splurge when I had a couple of extra bucks :lol:
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:48 pm

Bells large pizza was $5 my freshman year. Not that great for pizza but what a deal. If you set the over under at 150 buffer zones from DP Dough in my four years at UMass, I am way way over.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:27 am

From Rocky and Bullwinkle's Wayback Machine in the early 60's, our favorite spot for good and cheap pizza and other Italian "gourmet dining'" was the Aqua Vita, on Route 9 in Hadley near the bridge. 22 cents a gallon for gas to get us there. :)
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:19 pm

^ It's been torn down for a while now, can't recall exactly how long. If I get some ambition, I'll Google it. I remember the Chianti bottles with the candles on them and the wax dripping down.

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:53 pm

Quann wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:48 pm Bells large pizza was $5 my freshman year. Not that great for pizza but what a deal. If you set the over under at 150 buffer zones from DP Dough in my four years at UMass, I am way way over.
How about Whole Wheat Pizza?

ZooMass84
Senior

Post by ZooMass84 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:53 pm

69MG wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:19 pm ^ It's been torn down for a while now, can't recall exactly how long. If I get some ambition, I'll Google it. I remember the Chianti bottles with the candles on them and the wax dripping down.
Happy Hours at Carburs!!!

PreecherJenkins
Senior

Post by PreecherJenkins » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:16 pm

Quann hit many of the spots of my 00-04 era. Can still taste the greese from Bell's some 23 years later.

Monkey bar brutal
How about Chicago Pizza across from Southwest, close but brutal.

I was always a big fan of the China Dynasty on Route 9. Many others preferred Amherst Chinese or Panda East
"You are what your record says you are" Coach Bill P.

JUST SAY NO TO THE MAC

Bubba
Sophomore

Post by Bubba » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:45 am

Quann wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:03 pm ^^^^
I was there from '99 to 2003. We still had Charlies, Delanos, the Spoke, the Pub, the Monkey Bar (only bar I hated), McMurphy's and Barsie's for uptown spots. Also the old ABC brewpub that was right across from McMurph's/Barsie's, those burgers were delicious. Does anyone remember the BYOB spot that was in the back near Bueno? It was a cool place, I think it opened around 2002-2003 but I can't remember the name of it.
There was the Pinocco's (SP) back there, it was mainly a restaurant, but I remember going there for after hours a bunch of times. There was a club to the right once you popped out the Allyway from Antonio's. My bud was a bouncer there and we went often, I can't come up with the name. gah!

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:27 am

For a bit, University Drive had Rafters, the old Hangar location, and the Amherst Brewing Company all right near each other. Perfect for multiple pregame/postgame options. The Hangar took over the ABC, and now Rafters and the old Hangar location, like most things in the area, have turned in to pot shops.

I haven't been to Savannah's yet, but have heard good things. That was apparently Matt McCall's preferred spot.