Places we ate, drank, went backstage, etc.

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
ZooMass84
Senior

Re: Places we ate, drank, went backstage, etc.

Post by ZooMass84 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:17 am

Juice Stand wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:27 am For a bit, University Drive had Rafters, the old Hangar location, and the Amherst Brewing Company all right near each other. Perfect for multiple pregame/postgame options. The Hangar took over the ABC, and now Rafters and the old Hangar location, like most things in the area, have turned in to pot shops.

I haven't been to Savannah's yet, but have heard good things. That was apparently Matt McCall's preferred spot.
Don't bring up Matt McCall or his twin Coach Gomer Pyle (Molnar 2.0) aka Walt Bell (W.B. = Wasted Bucks).

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:07 pm

PreecherJenkins wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:16 pm Quann hit many of the spots of my 00-04 era. Can still taste the greese from Bell's some 23 years later.

Monkey bar brutal
How about Chicago Pizza across from Southwest, close but brutal.

I was always a big fan of the China Dynasty on Route 9. Many others preferred Amherst Chinese or Panda East
Chicago Pizza was one of my favs Preecher, a definite hidden gem. The large buffalo chicken calzone could feed 3 of us, so good.

China D was a great spot and the old China Inn next to Antonio's had some of the strongest Scorpion Bowls I've ever had. If you had two, you were on your way to a good night.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:08 pm

Bubba wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:45 am
Quann wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:03 pm ^^^^
I was there from '99 to 2003. We still had Charlies, Delanos, the Spoke, the Pub, the Monkey Bar (only bar I hated), McMurphy's and Barsie's for uptown spots. Also the old ABC brewpub that was right across from McMurph's/Barsie's, those burgers were delicious. Does anyone remember the BYOB spot that was in the back near Bueno? It was a cool place, I think it opened around 2002-2003 but I can't remember the name of it.
There was the Pinocco's (SP) back there, it was mainly a restaurant, but I remember going there for after hours a bunch of times. There was a club to the right once you popped out the Allyway from Antonio's. My bud was a bouncer there and we went often, I can't come up with the name. gah!
One of my buddies remembered the name when I texted on our UMie text chain about it. Prudie's!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:40 am

LS71 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:48 am Thanks for the idea Steve81.

So…all of he the talk about Judie’s made me think….what was in thst space before Judie’s?

I remember Logs from the late 60s/early 70s but i think there was another hippie var there either before after that….anyone remember?

When I was a student, I worked at the Amherst Tower, which was right next door to the Pub. We’d close at 2 am on Fridays and Saturdays to accommodate the munchies of Pub customers which closed at 1 am. The Pats worked out at UMass during the summer of 1970. Players and their entourages were regulars between 1-2 am. Wild and crazy times…and long hours of cleaning the place up after they left!
1st place I took t future Mrs SM was the Tower, a Sunday night after meeting on Friday, Halloween time '68.

Remember the little curved wooden bench seats.
Students used to borrow/take them back to their dorms, then return them a few days later.
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:27 pm

^ I started working there in 1969.
Quann wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:48 pm Bells large pizza was $5 my freshman year.
Large pizzas at Bell's must have added to the menu after I was gone. Prices were so low by today's standards.....plain cheese pizza-$.99; One topping like hamburg or pepperoni-$1.49. This was 1969.
Old Cage wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:27 am From Rocky and Bullwinkle's Wayback Machine in the early 60's, our favorite spot for good and cheap pizza and other Italian "gourmet dining'" was the Aqua Vita, on Route 9 in Hadley near the bridge. 22 cents a gallon for gas to get us there. :)
We ate there many times. For the longest time I thought that was one of the filming locations in the movie 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf'. It wasn't.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:42 am

Worked @ House of Lord's my Senior yr.
My Aunt Esther was friend of owner. I was his sorta Mgr in his absentia.
He also did vending machines in some Amherst establishments, which I collected coin from to bring him in Boston when going home.
My usual Bell's, same strip mall, was their tuna subs.
Printing Co was there, too.
Hamilton something, I think.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:10 pm

^ Drummer Boy a now defunct hamburger chain was also in that strip mall on University Dr.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:36 pm

If you haven't seen this, The Drake lives again. Not exactly the Drake we remember, but I'm glad they brought back the name.
https://www.thedrakeamherst.org/

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:39 am

How long has the Dove's Nest been closed? Ate at that diner a bunch of times during the college days.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:07 am

Orchard Hill, under the apple trees.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:13 am

Quann wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:39 am How long has the Dove's Nest been closed? Ate at that diner a bunch of times during the college days.
Looks like it closed in 2017

vanmeter
Hall of Fame

Post by vanmeter » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:13 am

Bell' tuna grinder was tremendous.

Campus Pizza down route 9 in Hadley was good pizza - especially after an evening on the peace pipe.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:12 pm

Bell's Tuna Grinders...
Do you remember that they used to warm them... :roll: ukkers
always told them... COLD!

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:41 pm

vanmeter wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:13 am Campus Pizza down route 9 in Hadley was good pizza - especially after an evening on the peace pipe.
Pretty much anything is good after that, no? 8)
Those "mini wheats" from Whole Wheat Pizza was our go to
Time to Win

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:46 pm

How about Greenough?
What was it called Greenough snack bar or what?
We used to go there weekly for the $.45 tuna sandwich and the good looking blonde married to a grad student, I think, who was the cashier.
Just looked it up and it's still there in the basement, rehabbed as Greeno Sub Shop.

Will have to try it to bring back the 60s memories.