Music faves for those over 65

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
69MG
Hall of Fame

Music faves for those over 65

Post by 69MG » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:04 am

There's nothing going on so I've been listening to more music than usual for me. I was wondering if my taste in music is off from other people in my age bracket or are others with me. I tend to like music from the 60's and 70's, with an edge toward hard rock and southern rock. My favorite groups are:

Boston
Skynyrd
The Eagles
Heart
The Band
Some Motown
Some British Groups

Camby4Life
Senior

Re: Music faves for those over 65

Post by Camby4Life » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:01 am

What’s with the age discrimination on this post? There are many younger people who listen to music of the 60’s and 70’s. There wouldn’t be any new music produced if it wasn’t for samples from that time period.

Good list to start but you have to add
Hendrix
Stones
Zeppelin

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:04 am

The Who
Beatles
The Cars
CSNY
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:34 am

Camby4Life wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:01 am What’s with the age discrimination on this post? There are many younger people who listen to music of the 60’s and 70’s. There wouldn’t be any new music produced if it wasn’t for samples from that time period.

Good list to start but you have to add
Hendrix
Stones
Zeppelin
No age discrimination intended. I was just checking to see if my music tastes were the same as others in my demographic. I do like Hendrix and Econalum reminded me that I should have put CSNY on my list.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:23 pm

Falling in a little younger age group but I'll add:

Eric Clapton
Allman Bros.
Van Morrison

Lately been getting into some reggae with
Stick Figure and Marley

One of the best concerts I ever attended was that Spring Concert at UMass with Allman Bros, Bonnie Raitt, and I believe BB King, and Toots and the Maytals. Perfect spring day, great artists. Even greater buzz
Time to Win

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:36 pm

^^^How could you not include Pink Floyd???

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:03 pm

:shock:
Holy shit, how Did I forget that? :D
Time to Win

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:36 pm

Just listened to The Hendrix Experience - Live at the FIllmore East on Spotify. Mind blown!
Word to your motha!

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:03 am

I am into JAZZ. When I was stationed in the NAVY at North Island Naval Air Station ,1958 - 1959, I became friendly with 2 JAZZ enthusiast, one from NY City and one from Detroit. They introduced me to JAZZ and took me to my first live concert Cal Tjader. They were surprised that I did not know about the Music Inn in Lenox, MA. After I returned home when I got out of the NAVY. I checked out the Music Inn and over several years I attended many concerts there including Dave Brubeck, Herbie Hancock, Modern Jazz Quartet, Dizzy Gillespie, And Thelonius Monk and many others.

Williams College has a spring Jazz concert where a well known national musician would come to the campus to work with their jazz orchestra for a few days and then join them in a free concert on a Friday night. I looked forward to going to them when I lived in Adams.

When I moved to Mooresville, NC 5 years ago I found out that Davidson College did the same with their Jazz program and I went to a couple of the concerts there and they charged $ 10 but it was worth it.

The public radio station, WFCR, I'd as NEPR which was located at UMass for many years until moving to Springfield a couple of years ago has an excellent Jazz program M - F from 8 - 11 PM at 88.5 FM. I am able to pick it up on my computer and patch it over to a tape recorder and tape the shows to use in my car which still has a tape player. They are responsible for using as their ID WFCR from UMass Amherst which many of us do not like the reference to UMass as UMass Amherst.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:36 am

Not nearly in that age group, but the talk of jazz and UMass jazz reminded me that I have a Jazz I Ensemble (top jazz band at UMass) CD sitting in either my car or a bookcase here. Would be interesting to see what's on it since I haven't listened to it in a while - I think it's from somewhere between 2003 and 2008, but it could possibly be older than that.

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:56 pm

I've always appreciated the soft rock bands and storytellers. Clapton, Eagles, Chicago come to mind.
The two performers that I can recite lyrics to today would be the Moody Blues and Harry Chapin.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:13 am

Peter Green, co-founder of Fleetwood Mac, one of the greatest guitarists ever, has passed away at 73.
His final appearance with the band, @ the Boston Tea Party, in 1970...
Here is is/was, doing Black Magic Woman, at that gig.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... 864fbaad56
The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:41 am

For those of you craving live music, the indoor shows are virus-done, with rare exceptions at very small venues...probably not in MA.

The alternative has become Drive-in gigs, at least until the weather gets cold.

Tupelo, Derry NH, has been doing them, with the typical performers who gig these parts.
We were there for James Montgomery about a month ago, and returned to see Joe Louis Walker Friday night.
It was JLW's first gig in 4.5 months re: the virus...likely meaning the last one was the Mustique Island Blues Fest he headlined.
(Mr. & Mrs SM visited Mustique this past December; beautiful private isle with homeowners like Mick Jagger).

This coming weekend, there are two performerances...

My friend, super person with more personality than any of us...the beautiful Dana Fuchs, who played Sadie in Across the Universe (movie)...Friday night at 6 PM...

My good acquaintance who lives about 15 minutes from us...the great blues guitarist...one of the best in the world, attested to by Eric Clapton, and SM agrees... Ronnie Earl ... Saturday @6 PM

Shows run 1.5 hours and the venue outside is well spaced/safe...
room for each car of people to have private space next to their cars.
OK to bring your own food, as we do, catered by SM.

Our group had 5 including us Friday night. We met our dear friend Donna, wife of my great UM friend for hoops and grid games as well as many gigs...Bob Gray. I posted Bob's obit 2 years ago. I never knew or will know anyone more knowledgeable about 60s/70s rock music than Bob... Donna with two of her friends, as we all went in the SMobile from where they parked 1/4 mile from Tupelo.

https://tickets.tupelohall.com/eventper ... sp?evt=979
https://tickets.tupelohall.com/eventper ... sp?evt=966

Food & non-alcoholic beverages...you can bring
Outdoor alcohol was approved and began two nights ago...The booze buggy will serve you...

Food also available there...

Outdoor patio restaurant, too...
but you cannot move from the patio to cars/vice versa...

SM recommends bringing something to eat...good sandwiches the easiest; cooler with water, soda, etc.
The booze buggy margaritas are strong.
After the show you can get ice cream 1/2 mile down the road at Moo's.

Note...
Gimmee Live, North Shore to Cape Inn gigs, has started a similar Drive-in venue outddors in OC country... Manchester MA...
I believe at the Manchester Athletic Club...same cost and rules as Tupelo...like they copied it...

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:50 am

econalum wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:04 am The Who
Beatles
The Cars
CSNY
It wasn't that long ago that you posted a reply ... I recall, to one of my music posts...

...that you do not like music...

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:27 am

https://www.saveourstages.com/

Please help by supporting this legislation!