Cam Newton to Pats

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Berkman
Hall of Fame

Cam Newton to Pats

Post by Berkman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:20 am

BOO. I have been a Pats fan since the began being a Baltimore Colt fan with Johnny Unitas as the QB. Been down in Mooresville NC for a little over 5 years now and have had enough of the Cam Newton BS. The TV stations down here are making a big deal about his 7.5 MIL contract but he only signed for the minimum which is about 1.4 mil with a lot of incentives. From what I hear he would have to start the super bowl and I doubt that will happen. The day he becomes the starting QB is the day I start rooting for a different team probably the 49rs.

PintOGuinness
Junior

Re: Cam Newton to Pats

Post by PintOGuinness » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:02 pm

Berkman wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:20 am BOO. I have been a Pats fan since the began being a Baltimore Colt fan with Johnny Unitas as the QB. Been down in Mooresville NC for a little over 5 years now and have had enough of the Cam Newton BS. The TV stations down here are making a big deal about his 7.5 MIL contract but he only signed for the minimum which is about 1.4 mil with a lot of incentives. From what I hear he would have to start the super bowl and I doubt that will happen. The day he becomes the starting QB is the day I start rooting for a different team probably the 49rs.
Over the years they've signed questionable character guys like Corey Dillon, Randy Moss, ALbert Haynesworth, LeGarrett Blount, Chad Johnson, and most recently Antonio Brown. Some have worked out, others havent. But you go ahead and die on the Cam Newton hill if you so choose.
Word to your motha!

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:22 pm

I am completely fine with his signing. A bold move at minimal bucks works.

In the end, either he will be about more than himself, or not.

Looking forward to his exciting style of play, in a run focused offense.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

Juice Stand
Hall of Fame

Post by Juice Stand » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:11 am

Someone refresh my memory. Is Cam Newton a bad guy? Has he been in trouble with the law or been accused of some pretty shady stuff? I honestly can't remember. My recollection of him is that he's a "me first" kind of guy, and loves the cameras and attention. I don't care about the signing one way or the other though. We'll see if they even play football this year with new cases hitting record highs every day.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:11 am

I’m with Berkie. You guys reference the questionable characters the Pats have brought in over the years but the QB position is a different animal. Low risk signing but yeah I’m not a big fan of the guy.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:22 am

No brainer of a signing. Looking forward to this!
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:32 am

Juice Stand wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:11 am Someone refresh my memory. Is Cam Newton a bad guy? Has he been in trouble with the law or been accused of some pretty shady stuff? I honestly can't remember. My recollection of him is that he's a "me first" kind of guy, and loves the cameras and attention. I don't care about the signing one way or the other though. We'll see if they even play football this year with new cases hitting record highs every day.
Nah, you've basically got the main criticism down. Some people are turned off by how he acts/think he's selfish/me first. He's also extremely talented and has earned the right to think at least a bit highly of himself IMO, but again not every enjoys that.

I like the signing. I also like that it was his only offer because it gives him more of a "I need to prove to everyone that I've still got it" attitude so I'm hoping it gives extra motivation.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:01 am

It'll be interesting to see a different style qb in Foxboro. Brady being a pocket passer, having someone who can roll out or run will surely be a different look. Worth the shot for short money.
If Stidham is as promising as they seem to think and wins the starting job, will they keep Newton around as the backup? Will be interesting
Time to Win

R&G
Junior

Post by R&G » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:33 am

I was very excited to hear that Newton was joining the Pats. I honestly didn't know that some people think he might be a problem. I'm curious as to the specifics of his behavior.

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:42 pm

^
Cam is very cocky. If you don't live in the Charlotte area you don't see this.

He can't throw long passes anymore and I think he would rather run than pass. Pats have been looking to acquire de3p pass threats so they need a QB that can throw the long pass.

Living in the Charlotte area is tough to get national sport scores for any teams except the local ones or Atlanta. The TV stations say to go to their web site for other scores. They don't do like the Boston stations that scroll the scores on the bottom of the screen.

I subscribe to MLB.com and NFL to be able watch the Sox and Pats but games against Baltimore are blacked out.

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:38 pm

I've lived in NC for 22 years. Cam Newton was easily the best thing that has ever happened to the Panthers. He has had lousy receivers and lousy coaches his entire career. His receiving corps won't be much better on the Patriots but the coaching (and O-line) certainly will be a huge upgrade.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:12 am

It's very hard to get the memory of him not going after that fumbled snap in the Super Bowl several years ago when they got waxed by the Broncos. That shit certainly won't fly here. With that said, it's a virtually no risk signing and gives some excitement into a season the fans were generally down on.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:17 am

I was hoping I’d never have to think about Cam Newton in a Pats uni again after the train wreck last season. Bill went one step further re-signed him and gave him a raise. I hope this isn’t the early stages of dementia for Bill.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:08 am

Who the heck knows at this point. We're still pretty early in Free Agency so we'll see how this shakes out. They re-signed Justin Bethel, which I know the sports radio guys are going to LOVE as well. "Bill's always willing to spend on those special teams guys but not on anyone else!!!!" - Tony Mazz
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Berkman
Hall of Fame

Post by Berkman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:48 am

BOO> I guess I won't be watching the PAT's again this year.