George Floyd/Colin Kaepernick

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
MikeUMA
Site Admin

Re: George Floyd/Colin Kaepernick

Post by MikeUMA » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:13 pm

R&G wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:41 am
inthescoop wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:09 am No surprise that our old and white privileged fan base has nothing to say here. LETS GO UMASS!!!

“In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”
Do you realize that probably 98% of this board is on your side? There are no sports happening right now an i, like probably many others, check this board about once every few weeks lately. I would suggest that your passion, which I applaud, be directed in a forum that reaches more than 40-50 people on a semi-regular basis. Attacking UMass and its dwindling athletic fan base (most of which is socially liberal) is misdirected. Especially when you use racial stereotypes. I personally believe that racism in all forms is one of, if not the biggest, issue in this country ( and has been forever).
^ This.
I own this board and I haven't posted ANYTHING in almost 3 months. Hell, I've barely even read anything on the board in that timeframe, let alone the General Discussion section, but that doesn't mean I don't have opinions on this topic. I 100% agree with that passage from WaPo. George Floyd's murder was appalling. Racial injustice is a massive problem that we as a society need to get very serious about. I could go on and on. But don't lump me into a category just because I didn't reply to this topic, in a secondary part of a message board based on college basketball.

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:23 am

I love the Confederate flag arguement that it's just a battle flag and it's more about heritage than slavery. It's kinda like saying the Nazi flag isn't about hate, it's more about building highways and tremendous advances in science and aviation.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:13 pm

inthescoop wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:44 pm ^this guy actually believes that Kap wasn’t in the NFL because of his talent level. Unreal. :lol:
He was basically the talent level of a backup when he got benched. Another team with a crap starter could have definitely taken him on as a backup and had him potentially compete for a job but why put up with the hassle? Not worth it unless the guy is a guaranteed starter.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:32 pm

Most of you have probably seen this. I'm not easily offended, but this really pisses me off. I happen to think UMass-Lowell is a good school, but I hope she files a massive wrongful termination suit and cripples the freakin' place. What is this world coming to?

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/uma ... fe-matters

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:46 pm

Is there any benefit or net positive to social media at this point? Doesn’t seem like it. If you’re not down with group think, you get doxed.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:05 pm

The most infuriating/nauseating event during my son's college visits in the South was U South Carolina. As we drove toward campus this monstrously large Confederate flag flew over the State capital in Columbia, dwarfing Old Glory. It was suffocating/angering to me as a white man for this show of oppression. Every old building discussed the 'Northern occupation' on campus and in town in brass plates.

To be noted - this flag was destroyed about 4 years ago.

Later visit to the College of William and Mary - nothing confederate was seen. More caught up in Revolutionary war, as in Boston area.

Fortunately, my son chose Loyola in Baltimore, a border town with a very mixed legacy as well.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:33 am

Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:45 am

econalum wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:05 pm The most infuriating/nauseating event during my son's college visits in the South was U South Carolina. As we drove toward campus this monstrously large Confederate flag flew over the State capital in Columbia, dwarfing Old Glory. It was suffocating/angering to me as a white man for this show of oppression. Every old building discussed the 'Northern occupation' on campus and in town in brass plates.

To be noted - this flag was destroyed about 4 years ago.

Later visit to the College of William and Mary - nothing confederate was seen. More caught up in Revolutionary war, as in Boston area.

Fortunately, my son chose Loyola in Baltimore, a border town with a very mixed legacy as well.
Are you my dad? :lol: :lol:

I think I've said this story before but I was gung-ho on going to South Carolina... Got into the sports management program (I did not get accepted into this program at UMass) - went for a visit got a tour of the football stadium, met with people in the department etc... It's just a different world in Columbia man. I left with such a bad taste in my mouth (actually good taste because the food is phenomenal as well) and ended up at UMass. Don't regret it for a second but it's just crazy - I mean it's jarring to get off a plane in Columbia and seeing the confederate flag flying at the freaking airport. Talk about making a first impression.

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:21 pm

I remember visiting Richmond and Charleston SC in the late 70's, early 80's. I thought I had gone back in time about 100 years. Bad, bad vibe in both places.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:17 am

Well revisit Charleston then, it’s a pretty awesome small city.