COVID-19 Discussion

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

COVID-19 Discussion

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:54 am

Discuss here if necessary.

Not to make light of the situation, but I'm curious to see how school and business IT infrastructures handle the influx of remote education/work we're about to see. This is going to be a real stress test and hopefully the first step to move remote work options, which should help lead to less congestion on the roads and less pollution.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Re: COVID-19 Discussion

Post by TheInsider » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:00 am

It will be interesting. I agree that remote work options should be pushed. In my agency many participate in telework from a few times a week to once every two weeks depending on position. For example a contract administrator really just needs a computer and a phone. They should only have to come in as needed for meetings. Quality inspectors need to be in more but can take a day every 2 weeks to catch up on paperwork. It would lessen traffic, costs, and use of gas.

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:15 am

We did a stress test of our VPN system at work earlier this week, and starting next week we're going to have half of each major office work at home for 2 weeks at a time (for at least a one month period, to be renewed as needed).

For most of us, that also results in next to no time being on public transit, as that's the most common way to get to and from work in the Boston area for us. That's probably the biggest thing - being outside of buses and subway cars.

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:20 am

I live in Hopkinton and they cancelled all schools district wide today because of two presumptive cases in town. They’re not giving anymore detail about this but I have a feeling my kids won’t be going the rest of the week. I’m sure more and more towns are going to be doing this over the coming weeks.

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:43 am

CVS did stress testing yesterday and beginning tomorrow it is being WIDELY encouraged for all people that can work remote to stay home. They will also be removing self serve food stations in the cafeteria as well as utensils and condiments with high touch areas (ketchup pumps etc). This will be through next week and then they will reevaluate as necessary.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:20 pm

Posted this in the Hockey forum, but UMass students are going to be taking classes remotely after Spring Break. https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/11/ ... e-classes/

The CBI just cancelled their bball tournament. Got this alert via my ESPN app.

EDIT: Through April 3rd for UMass. Looks like they will reassess at that time. Parents seem to be livid on Facebook.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:29 am

Things escalated quickly starting yesterday afternoon. In case you were asleep by this point, the NBA also announced it is suspending it's season.

Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz has tested positive and the Celtics are reportedly under quarantine as they played the Jazz a few days ago.

Tom Hanks and his wife have tested positive.

And the President has also banned travel to and from Europe for 30 days (except the UK...), though there seems to be some confusion about what that exactly means.

mdogt12
Hall of Fame

Post by mdogt12 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:08 pm

UMass going strictly online for remainder of the semester.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:43 pm

The angle of incidence = the angle of reflection: REBOUND!

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:36 am

No idea where this is going to take us in the short term but I'm still confident we'll all be ok in the long-run. In the meantime, stay safe and healthy, folks!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:23 am

So after the 3 week restuarant/bar ban then what?? The virus will still be here

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:17 pm

TheInsider wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:23 am So after the 3 week restuarant/bar ban then what?? The virus will still be here
After you have contracted COVID-19, after 2 weeks, the symptoms will disappear if you're still alive. If folks are quarantining themselves and social distancing themselves, the chances of catching the virus should be substantially less when the hospitality industry reopens again.

Also, restaurant*

e_parade
Senior

Post by e_parade » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 pm

inthescoop wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:17 pm
TheInsider wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:23 am So after the 3 week restuarant/bar ban then what?? The virus will still be here
After you have contracted COVID-19, after 2 weeks, the symptoms will disappear if you're still alive. If folks are quarantining themselves and social distancing themselves, the chances of catching the virus should be substantially less when the hospitality industry reopens again.

Also, restaurant*
Nah - it'll start to climb up again if we go back to the way it was before. Sure it'll be slow at first, but then we'd be right back where we are right now. Until there is either a vaccine or most of the population has caught it and either beaten it or died, we can't operate under normal means.

Also: I'm starting to see more people (including relatives of mine) describe this as "the Chinese Virus" or "the Wuhan Virus" or something along those lines. There is no reason for doing this other than for trying to put blame on other people. Please do not join in on doing that. We all know human nature, and there will be a snowball effect of hatred from that and it's not something we need. There is an actual name for this thing. Please continue to call it that.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:41 pm

e_parade wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 pm Nah - it'll start to climb up again if we go back to the way it was before. Sure it'll be slow at first, but then we'd be right back where we are right now. Until there is either a vaccine or most of the population has caught it and either beaten it or died, we can't operate under normal means.

Yep... we gotta hope they are able to get a vaccine for this soon. If not, then option B is going to make a lot of people sad.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:32 pm

e_parade wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:29 pm
inthescoop wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:17 pm

Also, restaurant*
Nah - it'll start to climb up again if we go back to the way it was before. Sure it'll be slow at first, but then we'd be right back where we are right now. Until there is either a vaccine or most of the population has caught it and either beaten it or died, we can't operate under normal means.

Also: I'm starting to see more people (including relatives of mine) describe this as "the Chinese Virus" or "the Wuhan Virus" or something along those lines. There is no reason for doing this other than for trying to put blame on other people. Please do not join in on doing that. We all know human nature, and there will be a snowball effect of hatred from that and it's not something we need. There is an actual name for this thing. Please continue to call it that.
Racism towards Asian-Americans in America right now is a matter that we should take seriously. I have seen it first hand in NYC.

Testing for COVID-19 has been abysmal so far in this country and this is why we continue our rate of positives cases continues to intensify and increase.

It is clear that our president has called this the Chinese Virus and Kung-Flu, but I will not mention that again, because some brainwashed folks here will get very upset and tell me that I made all of this up.