Bang the Trashcan Slowly

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
harbo
Hall of Fame

Bang the Trashcan Slowly

Post by harbo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:58 am

Who else here doesn't care whether baseball teams are stealing signals? It's kind of been ingrained in the game since day one. A pretty good essay here for example: https://sabr.org/bioproj/topic/1951-gia ... al-effects.

Granted, there is an advantage to knowing what kind of pitch is coming, but you still have to hit it anyway. And the very best successfully hit it where they ain't only three times out of ten. I'm just not understanding the uproar.

And this just in, Crash Davis was just suspended by MLB for tipping off an opposing batter about a specific pitch coming his way.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Re: Bang the Trashcan Slowly

Post by Old Cage » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:13 am

If this mess leads to speeding up the game, it will go into the history books as a good happening. The incessant trips to the mound, and batters wandering around outside the box, and catchers going through the sign sequence several times, are the leading reasons why a Sox/Yanks game takes three days.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Quann
Hall of Fame

Post by Quann » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:51 am

harbo wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:58 am Who else here doesn't care whether baseball teams are stealing signals? It's kind of been ingrained in the game since day one. A pretty good essay here for example: https://sabr.org/bioproj/topic/1951-gia ... al-effects.

Granted, there is an advantage to knowing what kind of pitch is coming, but you still have to hit it anyway. And the very best successfully hit it where they ain't only three times out of ten. I'm just not understanding the uproar.

And this just in, Crash Davis was just suspended by MLB for tipping off an opposing batter about a specific pitch coming his way.
Sign stealing is a part of baseball. Setting up video cameras with monitors next to the dugout is not. Add in buzzers and this is completely unacceptable. If you are an MLB player and you know whether a fastball or off speed pitch is coming, it takes the fun out of baseball and the competitive advantage for the hitter is ridiculous. I don't feel bad for Astros management, Cora, Beltran or anyone else that is yet to go down. If the Sox were doing this and it helped them to win the World Series in 2018, punish the hell out of them too. This blows away anything in football that has been associated with cheating (stickum, delflategate, spygate.)

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:53 am

Edit: Quann beat me by a nanosecond and I endorse everything he posted.

Sign stealing is a part of baseball all the way down to the lowest levels. When you go above and beyond the conventional means of the game (ie the runner on 2nd signaling the batter or coaches figuring out other coaches signs) it is a bridge too far. They obviously knew it was wrong with the lengths they went through to hide it. It is not going to "ruin" baseball or anything like that but punishment is warranted and it should be monitored and punished more severely going forward.

If you want to get into a different debate about how MLB has the worst replay system in sports I will gladly entertain that because it is a freaking joke.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:55 am

There's an easy solution: Let everyone use video. Until that happens, this shit will continue in some form or fashion.

I really hope the stuff about the buzzers isn't true. That's just awful.

EDIT: so it's clear, I have no problem with sign stealing in Baseball. It's been part of the game since signs have been part of the game. And yes, the Sox should be punished if they did in fact do what they did.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades