2020 Presidential Election

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
Quann
Senior

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Quann » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:06 pm

inthescoop wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:12 pm
DEM wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:13 am 100 percent agree that, as it stands, Trump will be tough to beat. Like Quann said, it's not necessarily about Trump, it's about his being an incumbent presiding over a "good economy" - historically, that's a difficult match, regardless of who the challenger is. Trump was much more beatable in 2016, but the democrats went with the wrong candidate, both based on hypothetical polls and the anti-establishment sentiment that was apparent to anybody paying attention. In my opinion, just like in 2016, their best chance this time around will be with Bernie, if he can overcome the corporate "stop Bernie" democratic party insiders this time.
See this is absolutely BS. Because the 1 thing Trump had going for him was a steady economy, now recently, the economy has been tanking due to coronavirus and Trump supporters will still stand by Trump no matter what - It is a Trump thing.

Also, age is not an excuse to allow you to say whatever you want with no filter, gtfo outta here with that Quann.
Inthescoop, I have no problem going back and forth on here and having people disagree with my opinions. But I think you meant to yell at someone else, I’ve never said what you have attributed to me above. Take a deep breath, your Trump Derangement Syndrome seems to be affecting your reading comprehension.

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:10 pm

And DEM is just stating the obvious, if you’re a Trump fan, you are heavily invested in him. Only base that comes close in terms of energy are the Bernie Bros and there are lot less of them. Biden is your typical moderate corporate schill.

econalum
Senior

Post by econalum » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:45 am

Bernie will be out of the hunt in the next 2 weeks. The question is to what extent are Bernie supporters going to hide and lick their wounds through the election, or will antipathy toward Trump guide them to the 'least worst' choice of Biden?

Bernie's failure is not being able to broaden his appeal, and especially not to bring in younger voters to engage in the primary elections. As always, younger folks are loud but do not vote at their volume level.

In my view, Biden will choose a woman probably one of color, as the VP which might also help soften Biden detractors among Bernie supporters. All the previous DEM competitors are lining up to endorse for cabinet jobs, IMO.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:35 am

I wonder if the pre-election polls had been more accurate if more young people would have got out to vote for Bernie. Similar to 2016 I'm sure a lot of the young apathetic voters thought he would be fine without them. If he get's clobbered in Michigan tomorrow (he will) and then on the 17th as well he's obviously done.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:09 pm

If we had the option to vote from our phones at any time, I'm sure there'd be a plenty large turnout from younger (or hell just working) people.

Of course, that opens up a whole can of worms for voter fraud. Vote by mail works I guess, but I'm not sure how many folks even have stamps around their house.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:18 pm

McKinney wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:09 pm If we had the option to vote from our phones at any time, I'm sure there'd be a plenty large turnout from younger (or hell just working) people.

Of course, that opens up a whole can of worms for voter fraud. Vote by mail works I guess, but I'm not sure how many folks even have stamps around their house.

How much do we need to give here? "Early voting" was put together to help people. Now we need to allow them to vote from home? Going to vote on election day is NOT hard. It's laziness more than anything else.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:03 pm

Reminder that Trump indirectly stated that coronavirus was a hoax. Imagine being so mentally weak that you believe that this guy is still a leader. :lol:

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:30 pm

InnervisionsUMASS wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:18 pm How much do we need to give here? "Early voting" was put together to help people. Now we need to allow them to vote from home? Going to vote on election day is NOT hard. It's laziness more than anything else.
I'm not saying that's the only reason why younger people don't vote, but let's just say I know quite a few people who haven't even left work by the time the polls close in about half the states in this country. Or at the very least by the time they get home they're rushing around to get the polls at the last minute. At that point, you might as well just say "screw it".
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:37 pm

^ And they're at work before they open? And on all of the days that allow for early voting? All I think IV is trying to say is that if voting was truly important to a person, they would find a way to get it done.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:38 pm

McKinney wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:30 pm

I'm not saying that's the only reason why younger people don't vote, but let's just say I know quite a few people who haven't even left the office by the time the polls close in about half the states in this country. Or at the very least they get home and they're rushing around to get the polls at the last minute. At that point, you might as well just say "screw it".

Oh come on. They open at 7am and close at 8pm (here in MA at least...). You have MONTHS to plan for this and work it out with your boss. Go into work a little later, leave a little earlier, take an extended lunch break, or now vote early.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

Quann
Senior

Post by Quann » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:36 pm

That could cut into about 20 minutes of Netflix having to physically go into the polling station 😀😛

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:48 pm

I have long felt that the national elections should be a two-day affair with a uniform starting and ending time (say 8 am East on Monday to 8 pm East on Tuesday). Very few people would be eliminated because of work/weather/kids. And more importantly, we don't have the early returns coming in from the east three hours before the west coast (even more for Alaska and Hawaii). Naming early winners (actual polling numbers, not surveys) shouldn't influence your incentive to vote on the west coast, but you know they do.

econalum
Senior

Post by econalum » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:23 pm

I teach a lot of Bernie supporter aged students. I was surprised that so many did not 'feel the Bern', but neither were they enamored with other candidates.

The core issue in my view is that civics as a subject area has been dropped systematically in many/most school districts.

For most Americans, voting polls are open 12 hours and early/absentee voting is an option.

We could simply move election days to weekends, as happens in many other countries.

But lack of youth engagement is a long term issue.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:10 pm

harbo wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:48 pm I have long felt that the national elections should be a two-day affair with a uniform starting and ending time (say 8 am East on Monday to 8 pm East on Tuesday). Very few people would be eliminated because of work/weather/kids. And more importantly, we don't have the early returns coming in from the east three hours before the west coast (even more for Alaska and Hawaii). Naming early winners (actual polling numbers, not surveys) shouldn't influence your incentive to vote on the west coast, but you know they do.
Harbo, you are spot on here, really like the ideology behind this thought!

TheInsider
Hall of Fame

Post by TheInsider » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:50 am

inthescoop wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:03 pm Reminder that Trump indirectly stated that coronavirus was a hoax. Imagine being so mentally weak that you believe that this guy is still a leader. :lol:
I guess facts don't really matter. There was nothing indirectly about it. He never said the virus was a hoax. Once again he said the lefts response to his handling of it was like so many other "hoax's" in the past. The response has been so bad that only staunch supporters of Trump like the Gov. of California are praising the feds.

As for the other topic I agree that voting should be done over 2 days.