Post by econalum » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:07 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/spor ... rnia.html

Effective in 2023. NCAA challenging.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

KahunaK
Junior

Re: California law endorses college athletes getting paid/have agents

Post by KahunaK » Wed May 27, 2020 1:45 pm

It looks more and more like the NCAA and college sports are no longer going to be around in their current form. These legal challenges are going to force some major changes with P5 schools perhaps breaking away and working under a whole different set of rules. Money drives everything these days and most schools can't compete with the P5. Will the number D3 schools suddenly explode as administrations throw in the towel on revenue producing sports like basketball and football? Every day the future gets a little more murky.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcedelma ... bdb56432a4

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Wed May 27, 2020 3:36 pm

Our own @LukeyBonner is very involved in this effort on a national level. Worth a follow on twitter.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed May 27, 2020 5:26 pm

I know lots of people disagree but, isn't getting a
50k +/yr education with all the percs, academic support etc kind of "getting paid"? I'm sure there's tons of 18-22 yo kids who'd like that deal.
The E sho, best show in town

KahunaK
Junior

Post by KahunaK » Thu May 28, 2020 8:23 pm

Floyd wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:26 pm
50k +/yr education with all the percs, academic support etc kind of "getting paid"? I'm sure there's tons of 18-22 yo kids who'd like that deal.
I used to be 100% in your camp Floyd but have done a 180. This article give a good perspective about what it is all about at the P5 level.

https://www.fltimes.com/sports/national ... F1rjDp80Io

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Thu May 28, 2020 10:17 pm

Floyd wrote:
Education and living expenses are great. Not only are there tons of 18-22 yo kids who'd like that, but there are also adults paying on a collective $1.6T in student debt who would like that deal.

But it's all part of a total compensation package, just like in the "real" world. And some employers are willing & able to compensate more or in different ways for the same position than others.
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri May 29, 2020 5:26 am

KahunaK wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:23 pm
Floyd wrote:
I used to be 100% in your camp Floyd but have done a 180. This article give a good perspective about what it is all about at the P5 level.

https://www.fltimes.com/sports/national ... F1rjDp80Io
Yeah Kahuna, relative to the Covid -19 situation I'd agree. In a normal ( no pandemic ) world, I just think all the money involved takes some of the luster away from the true athletic competition of being college athletics. I realize it won't change but thats why many people love college sports more than pro sports. I just like 18-22 yo kids to still be kids and enjoy the college experience and playing for their school rather than being basically pro athletes trying to navigate thru academics as well.

KahunaK
Junior

Post by KahunaK » Fri May 29, 2020 8:38 am

[/quote]

I realize it won't change but that's why many people love college sports more than pro sports. I just like 18-22 yo kids to still be kids and enjoy the college experience and playing for their school rather than being basically pro athletes trying to navigate thru academics as well.
[/quote]

Floyd-Agree with you 100%. This is the beauty of college sports and still is in most non-revenue producing sports. I love watching the lacrosse teams at UMASS. I think UMASS' emphasis on academics is great. Excellence in athletics and academics is a great place to be.

The problem is at the Alabamas and Kentuckys of the world. Saban at $7.7M and Calapari at $8M illustatrate that this is a business and these guys are making a ton of money off their athletes. Lets be serious, the Kentucky players stay for a year and get drafted- education is not part of their agenda. The schools make a ton of money off of tv rights, gear etc. and since the athletes aren't getting an education they might leave with nothing. But the schools and coaches still make the money.

Football and Basketball need minor leagues and kids who go to colleges should have some true academic requirements. Lets face it, college football and basketball are really just businesses- sadly.

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Fri May 29, 2020 4:23 pm

Kahuna, you're absolutely right and really there's no arguement from me. Everybody is making money, and good money off these programs. I guess my only real point is the one and done kids going pro are going to make their millions as well anyway. The rest that don't really make it are GIVEN an opportunity for an education to setup their lives post college. How they manage that is up to them. As someone who paid my own way thru college, and friends of mine who just could never attend due to financial limitations, I would have been more than happy to attend at no cost. And believe me, I say great to any kid who earns an athletic scholarship and hope they graduate and have successful lives. But I do also believe that is a great advantage that has significant value

Where I have issue is with kids who are rolled over with constant over recruiting, and pushed out. I think any kid that is given a scholarship should be able to keep that scholarship, unless they don't keep up their grades, even if they are are pushed out, don't continue to play, and don't want to transfer. If they want to leave, fine.

While most every D1 kid has pro aspirations, most will never make it. But that free education is a big chip to having success after college and worth much more than the 4 year cost. Just have to value the academics as well

Like a lot of companies, the NCAA doesn't share the huge profits they make with all their "employees".

I'm sure I'm way off on this but its how I view it