Nike

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
User avatar
MJatUM
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4005
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: Nike

Post by MJatUM » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:47 am

^^ I guess my major point in my post was they did not need to pick kneeling as the reason for his release, his play on the field was sub-par and without the distractions he was causing with the kneeling, he very likely would still be on the team. But he wasn't playing well, the team was losing and he was creating a lot of negative attention around the TEAM.

You're telling me Dez Bryant isn't good enough to make an NFL roster? It is all a game of pros vs cons. Josh Gordon is a complete knucklehead, but his con is that he just loves him some marijuana. Not really a huge point of contention for fans (Kaep) and it doesn't negatively affect the team/locker room (Dez) - except when he gets suspended.

No team is under any obligation to sign and/or retain any player.

McKinney
Senior
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Re: Nike

Post by McKinney » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:04 am

Cahoonaville wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:56 am
Tim says every member in this special forces team room has lost at least 10 friends who died while serving their country ... and he finds it offensive that Colin would describe what he's been through as "sacrificing everything."

"I'm talking about REAL heroes and I'm surrounded by a bunch of them right now."
I'm also from a multi-generation military family so I'd hate to boil my loved-ones lives down to cold hard unemotional and frankly undervalued numbers, but for the sake of argument Kaepernick "sacrificed" $14.5M by opting out to become an unrestricted free-agent. If death benefits are equivalent to how the government views a servicemember's sacrifice (let's say like $500k for Death Gratuity + SGLI) then Kaepernick "sacrificed" quite a bit (at least in our government's eyes).

It's definitely a stretch and hard to compare the two kinds of sacrifice, but I think few people would be willing to give up $14.5M especially for a cause that so many opponents view as unworthy.

Maybe the issue with this comparison is that military sacrifice is undervalued and NFL players are overvalued.
Ryan McKinney - Class of 2019 - @mckinney2019

User avatar
Quann
Senior
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: Lake Boon, MA

Re: Nike

Post by Quann » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:04 pm

^^^^^
I don’t know what his new Nike contract is but I’m sure he’ll get most of, if not all of that back. He didn’t sacrifice shit. His play was declining, he lost his job to Blaine freaking Gabbert before he started kneeling.

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6316
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: Nike

Post by LS71 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:55 pm

As an employee of a major US corporation, I agree to abide by a code of conduct on an annual basis. I’m free to express my political views as an individual but not as an employee of my company. Violation of that code can lead to termination of employment.

I don’t know is whether NFL players are required to do likewise as a condition of employment or if any such code would be from the league or their teams.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

User avatar
PintOGuinness
Junior
Posts: 491
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:11 am
Contact:

Re: Nike

Post by PintOGuinness » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:46 am

Whats amazing to me is the same people who trash Kapernick are for the most part the same people who have no problem providing their full support of our treasonous, lecherous president.
Word to your motha!

User avatar
Quann
Senior
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: Lake Boon, MA

Re: Nike

Post by Quann » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:11 am

^^^^^
That would not be I. I think Trump is a boob of epic proportions. I also happen to not like Kaepernick and his politics.

User avatar
MJatUM
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4005
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 pm
Location: Attleboro

Re: Nike

Post by MJatUM » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:48 am

PintOGuinness wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:46 am
Whats amazing to me is the same people who trash Kapernick are for the most part the same people who have no problem providing their full support of our treasonous, lecherous president.
Hey look! A straw man!

JoleonLescottsHair
Senior
Posts: 1677
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:17 pm
Location: Cuticle, Cortex and Medulla

Re: Nike

Post by JoleonLescottsHair » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:19 pm

Cahoonaville wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:33 pm
Nike,

I could handle the fact that you've abused children in sweatshops for decades, but endorsing Colin Kaepernick is where I draw the line.
You can handle child labor, but an ADVERTISEMENT you don't like is too much to handle. Man, that is beyond messed up.

UMass87
Hall of Fame
Posts: 8220
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:01 am

Re: Nike

Post by UMass87 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:39 pm

JoleonLescottsHair wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:19 pm
Cahoonaville wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:33 pm
Nike,

I could handle the fact that you've abused children in sweatshops for decades, but endorsing Colin Kaepernick is where I draw the line.
You can handle child labor, but an ADVERTISEMENT you don't like is too much to handle. Man, that is beyond messed up.
Where's the "like button" cuz I like this post. Maybe because I am an old white man I prefer New Balance - but more New Balance are made in the U.S. than any other brand (low bar though). I also like Warrior hockey equipment. Good Boston-based company.

User avatar
PintOGuinness
Junior
Posts: 491
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:11 am
Contact:

Re: Nike

Post by PintOGuinness » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:57 pm

MJatUM wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:48 am
PintOGuinness wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:46 am
Whats amazing to me is the same people who trash Kapernick are for the most part the same people who have no problem providing their full support of our treasonous, lecherous president.
Hey look! A straw man!
Hey look! A deflection!
Word to your motha!

User avatar
Quann
Senior
Posts: 1182
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: Lake Boon, MA

Re: Nike

Post by Quann » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:27 pm

Yeah I’m probably not Nike’s target demo either. Haven’t bought Nike sneakers in 10 plus years. Merrell is my go to brand for running shoes.

User avatar
Sheck
Senior
Posts: 1191
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:13 am
Location: NH

Re: Nike

Post by Sheck » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:27 pm

McKinney wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:38 pm
Sheck wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:44 pm
That's probably fine, we're an Adidas school anyhow.
Adi Dassler was a Nazi, so... burn the Adidas gear too?
Dang it! Guess we're going to have to lobby Bamford to switch to Under Armour.
One if by land, two if by slam!

harbo
Hall of Fame
Posts: 2013
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:22 pm

Re: Nike

Post by harbo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:08 am

I'm guessing we no longer see barefoot kickers because they'd be missing out on shoe endorsements.

User avatar
Swampy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 4116
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:21 am
Contact:

Re: Nike

Post by Swampy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:33 pm

UMass87 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:39 pm
Where's the "like button" cuz I like this post. Maybe because I am an old white man I prefer New Balance - but more New Balance are made in the U.S. than any other brand (low bar though). I also like Warrior hockey equipment. Good Boston-based company.
Old whitey here who has been buying Nike Air Monarchs for a very long time. Hope they keep making them because they help me keep my old balance. Oh, and not for nothing but Kaepernick can stand on his head for all I give two shits about the phony make 'em up as they go along NFL rules.

User avatar
LS71
Hall of Fame
Posts: 6316
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:55 pm
Location: Lost in Space

Re: Nike

Post by LS71 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:35 pm

^^^ Whatever happened to US Keds? :wink: :lol:
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Post Reply