SignMan
Hall of Fame

RIP Al Patino

Post by SignMan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:17 am

https://www.currentobituary.com/obit/223890

With great sadness
we lost one of our wittiest, nicest Posters
Bob Gray, aka AlPatino

My best friend, UM game going buddy and 60s/70s music lover who knew everything about the songs and performers of that era.

I saw Bob at games, but never knew him until we both stopped one night after a hoops game, at the Shell Station on 202 just before Route 2. We started talking, mostly me, Bob being so quiet, so shy.

When he told me he lived in Derry, I suggested he drive to my house and go to UM from there; that a 4 hr round trip drive for him was a bit much. He took me up on it and we immediately became good friends...went to so many UM hoops and grid games together, numerous live music events, the two of us and often the four of us.

Although he was Dx'd with a very serious illness not too many months ago, we were planning to take them to another gig this coming Saturday near his home, and we talked about him going to hoops games this Fall, after he renewed his Season Ticket next to mine.

A true softspoken caring gentleman who loved UM Athletics...

All the years I knew him, he never uttered a single cuss word...
Whenever anything went not-so-well re: someone/something...he always saw only the good in that person.
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ”

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Re: RIP Al Patino

Post by Swampy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:43 am

Ed, sorry to hear about your friend. :(
Sounds like a great guy and judging by his posts you're spot on regarding his personality.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:29 am

The Nod...

Bob was a person of few words...
Often, when I would do something he liked, he would look at me and give me a slight nod...
It was always enough, message received, Bob being Bob.

Once in a while, I would do a hoops sign with a music theme...
STRAWBERRY FIELD GOALS FOREVER
HERE COMES THE SUN
A ROLLING STONE GATHERS UMASS
other, if anyone recalls them.

I always did them primarily for Bob's viewing.
I would go around the court, finishing near our seats, so Bob often saw them at the end of my circuit.

Whenever it was a music related sign, I would look at him, and he would look down to me and give meet his nod (of approval)...
I loved it every time.

Maybe 4-5 years ago, we, just the two of us, were at a gig at the former Tupelo venue in Londonderry (moved to Derry).
I got us front row seats and we met for a quick bite nearby then down the road to the venue, early.
There was one other guy there, the row behind us, well before the show would start. We started talking about what music we liked and found we all were Beatles fans.

The other guy proudly told us he saw the Beatles @ Suffolk Downs, August 1966.
My response: I was there...with my girlfriend. I was 19; she was 16...
Bob's response: I was there, too. I was 12 and went with my Mother.
(good laugh by us)
I asked Bob where they sat. What he told me was the exact same description I would have said had he asked me the same question.
Maybe we sat next to each other and really met that day in 1966.

I have my toy collection...mostly little ones people leave in the give away/take away tent at our Transfer Station.
Recently, I got a pullback 5" Air Force One...pull it back on its wheels and it nicely moves forward fast and lights up...
Bob also liked "my" toys, but my lovely wife sees them as more clutter, so I would give a lot of them to Bob, because he liked them, too.
I picked out ones for him I knew he would like.

I went online to see if there was any info about the little plane, and found the exact same toy as a Red Sox plane...
Hard to find them, but I found a site that said they had them, ordering one for me, one for Bob, a big Sox fan.
The company told me they would be shipped direct by the mfr. I only told Bob I had a surprise for him.

I was hoping to get it quickly and would have...it still had no arrived by the time Bob passed, so I called the company I ordered them from.

Ironically, I was told they had stopped manufacturing them and none were left available.

Old Cage
Hall of Fame

Post by Old Cage » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:01 pm

I also know Bob from clandestine meetings at the infamous 202/2 Shell station. He was a good guy.

Ed - Please convey to Donna and the family that folks here are thinking of them.
"Jack didn’t have any envy in him," Calipari said. "He was the greatest coach to ever coach here."

harbo
Hall of Fame

Post by harbo » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:25 pm

I always looked forward to reading his comments here. I'll miss his input. Pass on my condolences.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:25 am

Sad news to read this morning. We met on more than one occasion, mostly through Ed. Very nice guy. Thoughts are with his family and with you too, Ed.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:34 am

Bob's fave UM hoopster was Al Skinner...

When Athletics used to have the online auctions, Bob got the Skinner banner...the nice ones the hung around Mullins
(I have the Jack one)...

I suggested Bob get it signed by Al, but, Bob being Bob, too shy ...

I got it signed for him, through a friend at BC when Al was there; a personal feel-good among many my friend and I did for each other.

The very nice UM basketball shirt another friend arranged to get Bob after the Dx, signed by the entire team...players and coaches, some with personal notes, was cherished by Bob and will be displayed at the services on Friday.

If anyone living on the South Shore is interested in seeing a great live music performance, our fave "Rocker," whowe have seen numerous times and know quite well...
...Bob and Donna saw her several times...
the incredible Dana Fuchs...
I have a pair of front/center seats for her show this Friday night @ The Spire in Plymouth MA.

In exchange, a donation to Dana Farber in memory of Bob works well for me.

eXelwood
Sophomore

Post by eXelwood » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:08 am

RIP: We had some on line chats many years ago, I seem to recall we were similar vintage alum, Al Skinner era, I was a freshman in 72 and we recalled games at the Cage.

69MG
Hall of Fame

Post by 69MG » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:15 am

I didn't know him but appreciated his posts. Way too young. Ed, please pass on my condolences to his family.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:25 am

^^same Class Year as you...
seven years my junior.

Bob really wanted to go to Liverpool this year, in which he turned 64, to do the Beatles tour.
We did get to meet John Lennon's sister a few years ago at a Mercy Beatles gig...
They are the Cavern Club tribute band.

I was in Liverpool about 22 years ago and saw some of the places then.
We, our two daughters and me, were visiting relative in the Yorkshires and went to Liverpool for a day where I met cousins there for the first time. I was initially impressed to find out that cousin Arnie was a "Lloyd's Name," but much more impressed when they told me they were good friends with Brian Epstein's parents.

Years later, when I told Bob that one, I got the Bob nod... :)

My Bucket List for the past handful of years included winning a Big Lottery jackpot and doing a worldwide gig tour with Bob & Donna;
including the Royal Albert, Glastonberry, Isle of Wight, Norway, Denmark, and a series gigs in the vineyards of Australia and New Zealand.

Bob loved the idea.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:33 pm

My condolences to his family and all, may he rest in peace.

LS71
Hall of Fame

Post by LS71 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:20 am

Sorry to hear the news. My sincere sympathy to his family and friends.

We never met, but I recognized his after seeing the pic in his obit.

I'm guessing he was at the Jethro Tull (Jonathan and Edgar Winter and Spooky Tooth) concert at the Cage on Sunday after noon, 12/7/69.

Rest in Peace Al!
Last edited by LS71 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Win without boasting, lose without crying." -- Julius Erving

Floyd
Hall of Fame

Post by Floyd » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Always hate to hear of any UMASS alum passing. Never met him, but I do recall seeing him at games.
Rest in peace
The E sho, best show in town

UMass87
Hall of Fame

Post by UMass87 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:15 pm

Terrible news. My condolences SignMan.

SignMan
Hall of Fame

Post by SignMan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:35 pm

LS71 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:20 am
Sorry to hear the news. My sincere sympathy to his family and friends.

We never met, but I recognized his after seeing the pic in his obit.

I'm guessing he was at the Jethro Tull (Jonathan and Edgar Winter and Spooky Tooth) concert at the Cage on Sunday after noon, 12/7/69.

Rest in Peace Al!
Considering that he was only 15, perhaps less likely than more.

However, Bob did see them perform close to 40 times; once with me a few years ago.
More recently, with Tull's Martin Barre touring these parts the past few years, he did go see him a few times.

I would have to combine Dana Fuchs gigs and Jefferson Starship gigs to surpass thirty times, collectively; albeit so since 2011.

I think I will wear my Rock Star signed pants to the service. Bob would like that.