post super bowl- still Zoo Mass

Whatever else you wanna rant about.
m626t
Hall of Fame

post super bowl- still Zoo Mass

Post by m626t » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:02 am

It was to be expected, and this year's riot may have been smaller than those in the past, but it's very disappointing to me. Hope cameras etc. ID the worst of these jerks and they get suspended or expelled.

Now, get off my lawn.
All due respect, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, I'm gonna pass.

InnervisionsUMASS
Hall of Fame

Re: post super bowl- still Zoo Mass

Post by InnervisionsUMASS » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:09 am

And somehow the school will survive, will continue to move forward, and continue to get better.
Stop waiting for UMass to do something big and help UMass do something big. - Shades

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:04 am

If you believe that the new aggregation site Drudge Report represents national news, UMASS s once again featured.

UNH had a bit of a problem as well: http://www.unionleader.com/safety/State ... -02052018
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:17 pm

I really don't understand these "riots". Surely they're mob mentality and alcohol induced, but for Christ sake people need to hold their liquor. It's also disappointing that tuition has to go to fix drunken rampage. Image
IMAGE FROM @ZooMass TWITTER ACCOUNT
Class of 2019 - @StatsMass

MJatUM
Hall of Fame

Post by MJatUM » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:32 pm

I've never understood the urge to be destructive especially to your own school / city. As a (hypothetical :wink: ) participant in the '06 football and '07 Red Sox "riots," it disgusted me to see broken windows in my own dorm in '06 and people trying to light things on fire. It is plenty fun enough to just gather in a large group and celebrate - if you are destructive you are just an asshole and deserve every ramification that comes with being caught.

MikeUMA
Site Admin

Post by MikeUMA » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:51 pm

It's unfortunate that these continue to happen. There's a bunch of good stuff that happens at the Univ, but this is the stuff that makes the news, and perpetuates the stereotypes.

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:54 pm

MJatUM wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:32 pm I've never understood the urge to be destructive especially to your own school / city. As a (hypothetical :wink: ) participant in the '06 football and '07 Red Sox "riots," it disgusted me to see broken windows in my own dorm in '06 and people trying to light things on fire. It is plenty fun enough to just gather in a large group and celebrate - if you are destructive you are just an asshole and deserve every ramification that comes with being caught.
I couldn't agree more.

PintOGuinness
Junior

Post by PintOGuinness » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Any students found to be involved in any destruction should be expelled. Punks don’t belong here.

That is all.
Word to your motha!

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Unfortunately these "riots" perpetuates the negative, low class UMASS stereotype held by many which hurts all students and alumni. While Swami has done a good job minimizing these disturbances, he needs to do more. This only happens in Southwest and certainly students form other parts of the campus go down there to participate. How about sealing off Southwest with barricades for an hour after the game (let students know this will happen). Once the immediacy of the game is over, students will get bored. There has got to be something that can minimize/eliminate this crap.

Getting "rioters" thrown out of school is a good first step. The bystanders are there hoping something will happen so they can say they were there (and be cool). How does this get stopped? How do other schools deal with it? It seems to me that Swami needs to break the back of the culture that allows this attitude continue. Perhaps there is a way to put people who are instigating, mildly participating etc. to get put before disciplinary committees to scare the shit out of them and future students. Many students need accountability for their actions and Swami needs to make something happen.

While not an angel at UMASS while I attended, breaking shit, rioting and getting arrested were not in my repertoire. It is stupidity at a high level. Those students should be embarrassed. Part of me wonders how they were accepted in the first place.

chapter 11
Junior

Post by chapter 11 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Found its way to the New York NBC affiliate too.

I'd like to think the New York students were in the library studying though.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/nationa ... 80563.html

KahunaK
Senior

Post by KahunaK » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:27 pm

This student is part of the problem- Sports Riots are good for UMASS

https://dailycollegian.com/137297/news/ ... -together/

McKinney
Senior

Post by McKinney » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:30 pm

KahunaK wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:42 pm Part of me wonders how they were accepted in the first place.
Unfortunately, that's the hard part, right? How do you examine the propensity for an applicant to riot?

Let's say 115 of the 2,000 people gathered were doing destructive behavior (VERY HIGH ESTIMATE), that's 0.5% of the undergraduate student body. 0.5% is the equivalent of identifying 200 students in the 40,130 who applied to UMass last year, and 23 of those who enrolled.

inthescoop
Hall of Fame

Post by inthescoop » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm

The funniest part about all of this is that folks from New England will be the first ones to say how awful Eagles fans were acting after they won the super bowl.

I heard that the school is not messing around this time and pressing charges, rightfully so. No need for those weak little Massholes on campus. What an embarrassment, get them out of there.

Swampy
Hall of Fame

Post by Swampy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:16 pm

^ The old farts were smart enough to stay away, I'm sure.

econalum
Hall of Fame

Post by econalum » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:39 pm

inthescoop wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm The funniest part about all of this is that folks from New England will be the first ones to say how awful Eagles fans were acting after they won the super bowl.

I heard that the school is not messing around this time and pressing charges, rightfully so. No need for those weak little Massholes on campus. What an embarrassment, get them out of there.
More arrests at UMASS, than Philadelphia, for crying out loud. And Philly tore down a hotel's street cover.

Was that an over-reaction by UM police, or do we just have a core set of wannabe/jerk offs ready to proclaim UM is the university of assholes wanting to be on video? The latter, me thinks.

If only there were non-violent protests about real issues, not disappointment that a pro team lost in the finals. So shallow.
Feeling entitled is JUST a feeling...